Dime box skunk streak or something else?

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't often post much , for some reason I cant seem to get what is in my head to the keyboard. I am working on it though. So, back in June 2008 I was in a motorcycle accident and lost a leg. While I was recovering and waiting for my prosthetic leg , I got into CRH'ing .....something I did as a kid back in 1977. I hopped around on crutches out on road trips seeking halves, and always grabbed boxes of pennies, nickels, dimes to bring home to keep me busy at night. Early summer 2009 I got my prosthetic, and got busy doing other things after being laid up a year. Since then , I only did pennies now & then, with an occasional box of dimes or nickels . Back in 2008-2009 dimes were fun.....I rarely had a skunk. Most boxes produced 1 or 2 and every so often I'd get lucky and pull 5-6-or 7 . The best box I pulled 17 . So a week ago , I decided to get back into it again and picked up some dime boxes. Out of 6 boxes , I only found 2 from the same box. The boxes were from different banks & were processed by different processors. So I had 5 skunks. Here is where some of you are going to roll your eyes and say "Oh NO, not another one" ! I've seem some posts claiming they are culling silver. Could this be the case? Maybe those believing it were in an area and they actually were culling silver and over time, the processors continued to upgrade their equipment, and now its being culled in my area. Another reason I'm starting to be a believer is there are no Canadians in any of the 6 boxes , when before , I'd get 2-3 out of each box. So is this a bad streak , or is culling actually going on in certain areas?

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't form any type of opinion whatsoever on 6 boxes. Its just not a big enough sample.

Dimes never produced in my area. In ~60 boxes over a couple of years, all but 5 were skunks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're not culling silver. More people are searching.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Reason NO CANADIANS, they are magnetic and would stick to the underside of bank lobby coin counting machines, thereby the bank does Not have to pay you for it; but the coin processor vendors would turn OFF the magnet this way it passes on to the public.

OP
OP
T

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reason NO CANADIANS, they are magnetic and would stick to the underside of bank lobby coin counting machines, thereby the bank does Not have to pay you for it; but the coin processor vendors would turn OFF the magnet this way it passes on to the public.

Dozer thanks for the reply, but we have the same machines out there today we had in 2009 when each and every box yielded 1-3 Canadian dimes vs not a 1 in 6 boxes this past week. More importantly, the mystery is where is the silver ?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver is still there. It is just an unpredictable monster. You never know when it will turn up. If you enjoy it then keep searching. You WILL find silver..how much I depends on your volume or you luck.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
"They are culling silver." Who would 'they' be?
Why would they be pulling silver in a depressed market?

Keep up the searching - nowadays crh'ing has to be for the love of the hobby. I was searching rolls back in the late '70's myself. I found more (dimes) in rolls lately than I ever did back then. Well over $100k in dimes searched last few years and I always kept an average of 1 silver per $150.

Good luck in the hunt -

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread