CWRs and the ring of silver at the Amish Market.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up 820$ in CWR halves at a local bank last Thursday. Pulled 126 40% out of the lot. Went to an Amish Market afterwards and I walked by the produce stand I heard the unmistakable ring of silver on the counter. A woman was paying for veggies with two half dollars. I asked the cashier if I could buy those halves and I pocketed them. Before I walked off the woman who paid with the coins said I have more if you would like them. She pulled out another 5-6 dollars in halves only 1 was silver and I bought and pocketed it. Finished my shopping went out to the truck and pulled them out to see what they were. First one was a 1925 Stone Mountain Commemorative and the other was a 1946 Iowa Centennial commemorative!! A great day for me!

Upvote 0

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on some great scores and finds! I hope you asked the woman if she had more at home that she would sell and got her' telephone number! She is likely spending her' deceased or ex-husband's Collection and has no idea as to the coin's values. I would also hope that you pay her a somewhat decent price for the Silver and especially the Commemoratives!

Frank

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill - those are some great finds and great numbers. Way to pay attention to the ring of silver!!...Brad

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you just gave her face and only took the silver halves. If so, instant karma's gonna get cha!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bet you just gave her face and only took the silver halves. If so, instant karma's gonna get cha!

I don't know if there is instant karma on a $20 coin at the flea market? That scraps at $5... Not much different then buying them at the bank. Just saying, she was spending them being worth .50 not selling them to a dealer thinking they were $20. I think the guy will be alright! More then likely they went to the right home. Probably not gonna end up on eBay. (This is just getting the coin)

Getting her phone # is a good idea... I forget to do that too. But When you do and get to the house, then you make the deals. At 10-12x face or whatever it may be! Maybe throw in an extra $20 for taking the time to meet with you. (This is building a name for yourself)

Good finds! [emoji482] on more to come!

OP
OP
SnakemanBill

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes i paid face value for the coins. As I said in my post I heard the sound of silver, bought all the halves she had pocketed them and never looked at the coins until I returned to my vehicle 20 minutes later. I had no idea the two silver coins I bought were commemeratives worth more than melt till later. I did ask if she had more and she said no she had already sold what she had to the coin dealer down the street.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

She was perfectly content swapping them for a few veggies, OP didn't do anything wrong.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread