3750.00 in Dimes

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week I got a notion I am going to hit dimes hard to see how many it will take to get a roll of Rosie's together. Being away from crh'ing for awhile, several months ago I decided to do a box of dimes and asked at the Wells Fargo branch I bank with for a box of dimes. The teller looked at me like I had 7 heads , and said we do not order boxes. All of our coin rolls are from customers and that takes care of all we need. She did offer cwr's which I turned down. I do business at other WF branches and asked at several for a box of dimes, and was told the same story. So , getting back to last week, I figured I'd try the cwr's and get boxes at other banks . So I get 250.00 worth of CWR from a WF branch . Half way thru , edge searching , I fumbled a roll on my desk and had a Merc staring back at me. Puzzled because I didn't spot the edge, I got the roll back together and slipped the Merc in to see if I could spot it knowing it was in there somewhere. No way could I pick it out. Being I was in my basement shop, which does have 4 fluorescent lights , I figured it may be a lighting /glare issue and maybe I missed more which I had already tossed in the bag. So I move upstairs to my kitchen table , dump the bag , and find 4 more in the bag I already went thru . Finishing them off, I got a total or 9 out the 250.00. So , Apparently those who edge search are throwing silver back in the wild. The rest of the week , I searched 3750.00 ..... about 1/2 CWR & 1/2 MWR and got a total of 10 Mercs , 21 rosies . Funny thing...........I hit a lot of WF branches, because I have accounts there , and in asking for 250.00 in dimes , they said you mean a box? I answered any way you have them. Funny how when asking for a box , you get told no , and when asking for 250.00 in dimes, they ask do you want a box?

Attachments

• 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 171
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job! Florescent lights are awful for searching coins.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. I wouldn't say people who edge search are throwing back silver. I have been doing this a long time and no that I am not. You have to find a good
Place to search. I prefer natural light but not direct sunlight. like a lot of people say if it looks suspicious check it!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always give 'em the sound test after the rim search.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of silver dimes there! I have always had way better luck searching CWRs than boxes - across the board: dimes, halves, nickels, pennies. I would take them all day long over boxes. Problem is, it's a lot of running around, and it's very time consuming. I pretty much just search half boxes anymore for the convenience factor. Seeing all those silver dimes does make me want to get out and do some dimes tho! Congrats on all the Mercs. Those have to be my favorite silver coin to find.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I date check all my dimes, because of that very faint rim color, and have captured many a dime that could have been missed if only rim checking. Keep at it, the only thing you spent is HOBBY TIME.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to sit down with a $1,000 bag of customer-rolled dimes, edge search in the natural light and re-roll the entire bag in less than two hours. It got to be a speed contest for me later on, and just wasn't fun anymore. After $150,000+ in dimes the first half of this decade, I can say that I'm sure I missed one or two keepers - 8-)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions