sealed mint bag

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Today at my bank the teller said she had a canvas bag sitting in vault for awhile. All 2009 P&D Any extra value for this sealed bag or just FV? 1443566455933.jpg

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
This is the best way to look for errors since nobody else has checked them yet as well as the fact that off center strikes & things of that nature won't fit into rolls without being noticed. Just my opinion. Also might carry a premium since 2009 weren't normally released for circulation.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It would not be A MINT SEALED BAG, if it had a mixture of P's & D's, therefore they had been opened sometime after the mint sent them out. Either way, might find some interesting finds.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
A quick ebay search turned up a couple sales of those bags. One for $159 and one for $190. Seems like it would be worth a shot after the guy with the one for $135 sells his.

Maine_Jim

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, my mistake. Back in the '80's I use to buy mint sealed bags at a federal reserve bank and they were ALL the same P or D but not mixed.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, my mistake. Back in the '80's I use to buy mint sealed bags at a federal reserve bank and they were ALL the same P or D but not mixed.

I think that half dollars are the only coin that are done like that (mixed mints).

This is the oldest sealed bag that I found on eBay I could find of (halves, dated 2001): Unopened US Mint SEALED Bag BU 2001 P D Kennedy Half Dollars $100 Face Value | eBay

These are mixed mint. I am not exactly sure, but I knew the mint did the mixed ones because I had the opportunity to buy one for a little over face and I passed on it.

OP
OP
R

Rustystcloud

Oct 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the info. As of now I am going to let it sit in my safe.

Goes to show you just never know what the bank has sitting around waiting for us to take home for FV. ��

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but how does one search eBay for completed auctions for specific items?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize for hijacking this thread, but how does one search eBay for completed auctions for specific items?

When you search for an item, scroll down until you see the header "Show Only" and click the check box for "sold listings" to see the sold items, or "completed listings" to see the completed items (whether it sold or not).

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
thats pretty cool either way. id sell them!

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half dollars have been NIFC (not intended for circulation) since the early 2000s. I wonder how a bank ended up with these? I always keep the NIFC halves I find, since the production numbers are so low. I don't know if they'll ever be worth much though.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Half dollars have been NIFC (not intended for circulation) since the early 2000s. I wonder how a bank ended up with these? I always keep the NIFC halves I find, since the production numbers are so low. I don't know if they'll ever be worth much though.

Someone probably died or got robbed if it was an unopened bag that was this new.

I only keep 2 of each date (one of each mint mark). I still save circulated 1987 P and D halves, but they haven't increased in value and they were made 28 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread