All Treasure Hunting
Yeah they are neat bags!

So heres the final tall from both bags total

1 - 1971-S (Silver)
1 - 1976-S (Silver)
1 - 1977-S (Clad)
4 - 1973-D
7 - Gold Plated Ikes Various Years

As for varieties i have a 3 small bins of 71 / 72 / 76 that i still need to look at with a magnifying glass. I had sorted all 2k of them into those pile but I saw how large the piles were and took another approach. I went through them and only kept the nicer ones to look at. So i probally have 100-150 to sort through. I'm considering getting a USB microscope to help me out so I dont have to strain my eyes...

I think when I go in tomorrow to get my halves im gonna ask for another 2k, maybe 5k in Ikes. I have got some interest from my CL ad i posted as well so well see if that shakes out.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The few times(i think it was10 times) ive been able to order Ikes they came in $100 & $200 clear plastic bags-
Thise are cool canvas bags and man that be a lot of Ikes to sort through
Good to see you get a few silvers

OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow 100 or 200 bags was all thats crazy. Yeah those canvas bags are no joke.

I did tell my teller to try and snag 2 more bags for next week if they had them :D

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought 3 separate 1,000-Ike bags from my bank. Each bag contained only clad Ikes. The Ikes were not an easy sell at my drop-off bank.

Has anyone sold 1,000 Ikes (all at once) to a coin shop?

Marc

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought 3 separate 1,000-Ike bags from my bank. Each bag contained only clad Ikes. The Ikes were not an easy sell at my drop-off bank.

Has anyone sold 1,000 Ikes (all at once) to a coin shop?

Marc
Yes, I've dumped like 500 clads at my lcs before. They paid me $1.10 for each however after that they no longer buy Ike's from anyone haha! But even other coin stores will gladly take them for face value at least where I am. Call around to several coin stores and ask before you bring them in and who knows maybe you'll find a store willing to buy them for more than face.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found a bank last week that said they can order "large dollars" for me. They have to get $500 in an order. They should be here this week. We will see what goes. Congrats on the silver!!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good score on the Ikes. I could never get any ordered, but I have probably searched over 2000 of them found at random banks without finding the first keeper.

I hope not, but getting rid of a consistent thousand(s) of them per week/month may prove to be a challenge. I have no doubt you can sell some on Craigslist and/or eBay for a small profit, but I also think you'll be hard pressed to find a buyer for all of them before the next batch rolls in and they will accumulate quickly. I further think that consistent dumping of loads of Ikes will quite possibly cause dump banks to tire of you quickly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@VDubGuy - Good for you i wish you luck!

Last week when they ordered my halves they didn't have any Ike in so well see if we get em this week. It seems they only fulfill orders if they have some there...

@Arkie - Yeah I just made a posting recently and haven't had an issue getting 1.2ish for them. I have no problem sitting on them either for a while. Given the orders aren't guaranteed weekly there's no use me taking them back and getting it back the next week. Depending on how far in between orders i was going to just sit on 6-8k worth before i make a conscious effort to take them back. Luckily i can afford to do that with no issue. Regarding dumping them back at the bank, that wont be an issue. As it is i take 2k a week in halves back to the same bank with no issue. In fact one week I got my 2k turned in and before they had there regular pickup there vault was full and they had to turn down any customers who brought coins in. LOL

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@bamiddle - the bank did get $500 in large dollar coins for me. Two proofs, no silver and no type 2's. Maybe next time.

OP
OP
B

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@bamiddle - the bank did get $500 in large dollar coins for me. Two proofs, no silver and no type 2's. Maybe next time.

Nice! I fell short again this week. They didnt have any in stock to deliver. I did however discuss that next time my banker that next time she can get them to get as many as they have long as it dont exceed 10k.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
getting rid of a consistent thousand(s) of them per week/month may prove to be a challenge.
Good luck!

I have a guy who will buy as many as I want to give him. Took $5,000 from me on the first buy. I sell them to him at $1.08 per coin. Hey, 1) It gets rid of them 2) he buys in bulk. 3) It's still $80 profit PER BAG, and that is on the REJECTS. I just can't get them for the bank very often. But when I do, he buys all I have. Oh, and he sells them at shows on the weekends. Says people pay $1.40 for them all day long. Saw some at Littleton Coin recently for MUCH more than that. (I think they are a scam place anyway. They also offered Silver eagles in tubes for like $39 per coin)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions