Chase banks worth it?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys apparently chase banks nationwide have a new policy theyre strictly enforcing. They arent giving change out to non customers anymore. I tested this out and it is true most chase banks wont sell to me anymore. Anybody else experiencing this? Also what is the most minimal account i could open here just to have an account? Would it even be worth the hassle? I dont just wanna start opening accounts at banks now.

Upvote 0

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys apparently chase banks nationwide have a new policy theyre strictly enforcing. They arent giving change out to non customers anymore. I tested this out and it is true most chase banks wont sell to me anymore. Anybody else experiencing this? Also what is the most minimal account i could open here just to have an account? Would it even be worth the hassle? I dont just wanna start opening accounts at banks now.

I'd tell Chase where they can cram it, and then find a credit union. I don't know what it's like elsewhere in the states, but in Utah, the only people that aren't with credit unions are usually the same ones who think O.J. was innocent, 2 Pac is still alive, and Micheal Jackson didn't rape those kids (he made love to them)...

I have zero use for banks.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in you're neck of the woods spartcom. I opened a savings account $300 minimum in the account or they charge a $5 monthly fee... Found this to be the best option

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
Well i'm not going to ride Chase to hard... They are one of the few banks that give veterans a FREE safe deposit box and i also have no monthly service charges for my checking account.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When opening accounts strictly for CRH purposes, beware of the "inactivity fee." Even "free" accounts after a period of time will begin charging a fee for not having to do one single thing with your account, as absurd as that sounds.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most banks are not supposed to sell coinage to non customers. There reasons are to make sure they have coin for there actual customers. However certain banks enforce this rule more than others and, certain tellers enforce it more than others. I have gone to banks and asked for a box of coin I didn't have an account at and the teller has no problem with it. Two months later I would go back to the same bank and get a different teller who would not sell me a box of coin. It's luck of the draw when you don't have a count.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Solution: Open the lowest cost account possible.

I end up paying an occasional $10 a month fee if I don't use my low level account enough at a certain large bank. I count it as the CRH tax for the hobby and move on.

egeorge1

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Bummer, i was going to give them a try for the 1st time today. I do have a credit card with them but i assume that doesn't count.

How long does an account usually have to be inactive to get a fee charge? Does this also apply to savings accounts.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm. I've bought from Chase fairly recently and they always said they could sell up to $200 to non customers. They always have customer returned stuff, so I buy some now and again. Guess I'll have to find out if it's changed.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bummer, i was going to give them a try for the 1st time today. I do have a credit card with them but i assume that doesn't count.

How long does an account usually have to be inactive to get a fee charge? Does this also apply to savings accounts.

Heck Ya your credit card counts! I have 2 Chase CCs and no checking or savings acct, and they always reference my coin pickups to my CC. A CC is the ultimate bank account - they actually make money from CCs even if you don't pay interest - that's why they all try to get you to sign up for one when you go in the branch. I've never had a Chase account and have ordered $100k+ in halves from them no problem (from 4 different branches).

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
There is a Chase bank I go into about once a month. I do not have an account with Chase. Last Saturday I went in and asked for halves. The teller said that they just sent a bunch back on friday but, if I would like they could order me a box and it would be in on friday. She never asked if I had an account. The few times that they have had halves when I came in they were very happy that took them off their hands.
I will find out tomorrow when I go in and ask if they got in the box for me.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I have used Chase as my dump bank for halves for about 7 years, doing approx $40,000 per year in boxes. Some weeks I do 2 grand (4 boxes) others 1 grand,(2 boxes) and have only dumped with them. I take a few months off during the year in my hunting, and have never purchased coins from a Chase unless I was out of state. The only reason they would take them in the first place was I was a signer on my mothers trust account and there was a sizable amount in there. Recently I opened my own account with them so they still will take my coins.

CognitiveDissident

Sep 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i'm not going to ride Chase to hard... They are one of the few banks that give veterans a FREE safe deposit box and i also have no monthly service charges for my checking account.

Nothings free. If its free you just don't know how you are paying for it. They will probably raid your box some day.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
In my area chase will give non customers up to $200 in coin. I do have a savings account with them (min balance for no fee is $300). They take rolled Canadian coin without a problem. since I get a lot of Canadian coin it is a big help.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have accounts at four different banks. I opened two of them just for this hobby. I just deposited the minimum amount into a savings account and then about once a year I'll deposit a small amount to keep it active. They pay me interest on the accounts. Between the two accounts I got about fifty cents in interest last year. :laughing7: :cat:

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Chase ordered me a box not knowing that I did not have an account. When I went in for the box they asked me for my debit card. I said that I did not have an account and they would not sell me the box that they ordered for me.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chase ordered me a box not knowing that I did not have an account. When I went in for the box they asked me for my debit card. I said that I did not have an account and they would not sell me the box that they ordered for me.
Yep :/ guess we gotta open accounts now. You'd think all banks would give halves out to all people just to get rid of them right? Most banks I go to are relieved to get rid of all their halves and what not.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
I think I am going to cancel my Capital One credit card and get a Chase credit card ( this will give me the connection to chase ) since I need a credit card any way. Then I will make Chase one of my dump banks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread