BuffaloBoy: DREAM BAG!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, as most of you know, I don't post often unless I come across a decent find. Well yesterday I was on my routine "dump run", stopping at various local banks and running my halves through their coin machines. I decided to stop at a bank that I knew had a coin machine, but never dumped at before. I have dumped at multiple other branches of this bank so I am familiar with the coin counter that they use. The bag on the machine holds $1,000, and it filled up $24.50 into my dump. The tellers were very amazed that the HALF DOLLAR bag filled up, and then they tell me that the bag had not been filled up in at least three years. They remove the bag from the machine and I overhear them talking saying that they have to transfer the coins into a new bag by hand because the bag is ripped, and they cannot send the bag out ripped. As I end my transaction, I hear them transferring the halves into a new bag behind the teller counter. I hear silver. I walk out to my car after, think for a minute and told myself that even though buying a bag from a bank I just dumped at is wrong, I would be kicking myself in the ass if I did not ask to buy it... I go back in and the teller says "hello again, whatcha need?" I then go to tell her, "strange question... I am a coin collector, and I was wondering... you mentioned that the bag had not been filled up for a few years, and the bag filled up $25 into my dump, meaning that $975 of that has been accumulating for many years. would it be possible to buy the bag from you?" the teller then said that she did not see an issue with that, and once it was all transferred over into the new bag, they sealed it up, took my $1000 and I walked out with the bag.

Keep in mind that this is only my second bag of halves ever purchased, both from different branches of this same bank.
I get home and I see silver all over the bag, it was really fun to open the bag!

The results:
112 silvers.
79x 40%
33 90%
(10x 1964, 13 bens, 10 walking liberty)

The bag contained $997 in halves as well as $5.25 in various US coins such as pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. so in the end, I got a little bit extra than I paid for the bag, plus a handful of foreign coins and tokens besides. Overall, I was very happy, I was in the right place at the right time. My first bag ever was also a $1000 bag and produced 86 silvers (84 40%, 1 1964 and 1 ben)

Happy hunting all!
HH
Buff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rocks!!!! Congrats on a great save!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Buff! I sure miss hunting, been wanting to get out but working 9-5 is hard to get to any banks besides the ones I use for the business... which I did manage to find 2 40% a couple weeks ago out of $11 in loose halves.

Good luck and HH

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah the super sweet bag. I got a teller to give me a bag once and she had no problem with it. She said there was another guy who bought them as well but my timing was good. I got a few silvers, nothing spectacular but I knew it was a great opportunity and so I waited and held my breath. Whoever was getting the bags before me must have gotten heated or the head teller must have gotten some problems from it because they won't give me anything at all now even rolled coins. I'll ask "do you have any pennies, nickels dimes quarters ...?" "oh we are out. Sorry" is the reply, which is BS because they roll their own coins so they are never out of all denominations. Next time I pass by I am going to dump massively on them just so they have something to do and anyone getting the bags can lug my dump to the next spot. I have been cultivating my relationships with many banks but it is very very rare you can find folks relaxed enough to hook you up. That's awesome. Congrats, you deserve it.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This bank wouldn't sell me any more bags from their machine. I had to convince them to sell me this one. They are now a dump bank!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions