BuffaloBoy: DREAM BAG!!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, as most of you know, I don't post often unless I come across a decent find. Well yesterday I was on my routine "dump run", stopping at various local banks and running my halves through their coin machines. I decided to stop at a bank that I knew had a coin machine, but never dumped at before. I have dumped at multiple other branches of this bank so I am familiar with the coin counter that they use. The bag on the machine holds $1,000, and it filled up $24.50 into my dump. The tellers were very amazed that the HALF DOLLAR bag filled up, and then they tell me that the bag had not been filled up in at least three years. They remove the bag from the machine and I overhear them talking saying that they have to transfer the coins into a new bag by hand because the bag is ripped, and they cannot send the bag out ripped. As I end my transaction, I hear them transferring the halves into a new bag behind the teller counter. I hear silver. I walk out to my car after, think for a minute and told myself that even though buying a bag from a bank I just dumped at is wrong, I would be kicking myself in the ass if I did not ask to buy it... I go back in and the teller says "hello again, whatcha need?" I then go to tell her, "strange question... I am a coin collector, and I was wondering... you mentioned that the bag had not been filled up for a few years, and the bag filled up $25 into my dump, meaning that $975 of that has been accumulating for many years. would it be possible to buy the bag from you?" the teller then said that she did not see an issue with that, and once it was all transferred over into the new bag, they sealed it up, took my $1000 and I walked out with the bag.

Keep in mind that this is only my second bag of halves ever purchased, both from different branches of this same bank.
I get home and I see silver all over the bag, it was really fun to open the bag!

The results:
112 silvers.
79x 40%
33 90%
(10x 1964, 13 bens, 10 walking liberty)

The bag contained $997 in halves as well as $5.25 in various US coins such as pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. so in the end, I got a little bit extra than I paid for the bag, plus a handful of foreign coins and tokens besides. Overall, I was very happy, I was in the right place at the right time. My first bag ever was also a $1000 bag and produced 86 silvers (84 40%, 1 1964 and 1 ben)

Happy hunting all!
HH
Buff

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
im waiting on a bag for the past 4 months...

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, as most of you know, I don't post often unless I come across a decent find. Well yesterday I was on my routine "dump run", stopping at various local banks and running my halves through their coin machines. I decided to stop at a bank that I knew had a coin machine, but never dumped at before. I have dumped at multiple other branches of this bank so I am familiar with the coin counter that they use. The bag on the machine holds $1,000, and it filled up $24.50 into my dump. The tellers were very amazed that the HALF DOLLAR bag filled up, and then they tell me that the bag had not been filled up in at least three years. They remove the bag from the machine and I overhear them talking saying that they have to transfer the coins into a new bag by hand because the bag is ripped, and they cannot send the bag out ripped. As I end my transaction, I hear them transferring the halves into a new bag behind the teller counter. I hear silver. I walk out to my car after, think for a minute and told myself that even though buying a bag from a bank I just dumped at is wrong, I would be kicking myself in the ass if I did not ask to buy it... I go back in and the teller says "hello again, whatcha need?" I then go to tell her, "strange question... I am a coin collector, and I was wondering... you mentioned that the bag had not been filled up for a few years, and the bag filled up $25 into my dump, meaning that $975 of that has been accumulating for many years. would it be possible to buy the bag from you?" the teller then said that she did not see an issue with that, and once it was all transferred over into the new bag, they sealed it up, took my $1000 and I walked out with the bag.

Keep in mind that this is only my second bag of halves ever purchased, both from different branches of this same bank.
I get home and I see silver all over the bag, it was really fun to open the bag!

The results:
112 silvers.
79x 40%
33 90%

The bag contained $997 in halves as well as $5.25 in various US coins such as pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters. so in the end, I got a little bit extra than I paid for the bag, plus a handful of foreign coins and tokens besides. Overall, I was very happy, I was in the right place at the right time. My first bag ever was also a $1000 bag and produced 86 silvers (84 40%, 1 1964 and 1 ben)

Happy hunting all!
HH
Buff

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy: WTG BB!!!!! Awesome!!! That's great you're able to get occasional bags. I can't get them around here. What was the dates & mintmarks of the Bens & Walkers? Any key dates? Any 1970s in the 40%s? I don't think that "Dream Bag" is the proper name for this bag as it was less than 20% silver. After all we call a box with 20% or more silver a "Dream Box". Perhaps we could call it a "Awesome Bag" instead. No matter what it's called, it's still a great find.
HH
Gary

Last edited:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz on the awesomeness! I've tried a couple of times to buy bags now. No Dice.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! You were definitely due for a big score. Nice snag!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome score! Congrats!

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice . If I was able to buy some of the bags that I have seen over the years that were loaded with silver I can't even put a number on how many I would have. If you can get bags get them! Even if it's at a bank that gets a lot of traffic. Some of the bags at the busy banks are the most loaded.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score BB. Those "never fill" bags are almost always really good.

Cobbolicious

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thinking! Sometimes those great ideas just come to us out of the blue, and I think it's wise to go with them.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im waiting on a bag for the past 4 months...

:icon_scratch: If you can find out how much the bag holds & how much is in it now, you might want to finish filling it so you can get it now. Waiting around might lose you the opportunity to get the bag. Banks do change their policies. I once had a chance to get a bag but before it filled up, the branch manager changed & the new one wouldn't consider selling me the bag. BTY this bank no longer had coin machines for the accountholders & public use.
HH
Gary

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a very good day.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on a great score! You handled asking to buy the bag very well. Honest and to the point.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Great score Buff!! It's been a long time since anyone had a dream-anything on here. Congrats!!

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys! The dates of the walkers and bens are the following:
1941 X3
1941d
1943 X2
1945 X3
1951 X2
1953d X2
1960d
1962 X2
1962d
1963 X2
1963d
All common dates.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was the only way to explain my reasoning behind buying the half dollar bag when I ONLY had half dollars to dump there, they understood and were happy to sell the bag to me! They only ship out 1-2 coin bags a week the teller told me, so they were glad not to have to send this one out.
Congrats on a great score! You handled asking to buy the bag very well. Honest and to the point.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The results:
112 silvers.
79x 40%
33 90%

Happy hunting all!
HH
Buff

Posts like this are what makes people like me keep going when I get frustrated. Keep plugging and keep posting!!...Brad

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at the right place at the right time... Kind of funny how I never dumped halves at this branch before either. You just never know, can't hurt to ask and buy the bag off of the machine... Now I am considering topping off the half dollar bags at a few other branches and then attempting to buy those.
Great score Buff!! It's been a long time since anyone had a dream-anything on here. Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions