rr5a.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 356
Upvote 0

goldinmypan

Apr 18, 2006
Ventura, CA
Detector(s) used
LST
Since I reuse the rolls, I need a tool for uncrimping the ends. I use a pair of tweezers, just because thats what I started with and it works.

cocrh

Apr 9, 2007
I use a small slotted screwdriver and pop one end open, search and put the coins back in. Then later when I have time I roll the end back up! Never need to get coin wrappers and none of my return branches have free coin counters. It is really pathetic as the branches have CoinStars and charge for counting even if you have an account!! >:( That is why they are my dump CU ;D

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Good invention. I like to see people modify a tool for another purpose.

Since you are not saving the wrappers have you tried the smash method. It allows you to open two rolls at a time.

1) In each hand hold a roll between the middle finger and the thumb.
2) Turn left hand so palm is facing up. tear strip should be facing down
3) In the right hand position the tear strip so it is facing up.
4) Hit the rolls against each other.

Doing it this way exposes both rolls and allows you to look for silver edges. If no silver dump into bag.

HH,
65GT350

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very innovative Tim! Great idea. Are they on the market yet...lol? With as many folks taking up CRH'ing, you may do well. I bet it will save a fingernail or two!

When should mine be arriving.....ha!

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a letter opener.
Small slit on each end where the edge is (basically at each edge of your spoon) and the rest just unrolls.

Your method should be slightly faster, and less likely to cut yourself with it. ( CRH injuries... ;D )

The letter opener works well at opening the boxes too.

Though I have used pens and screwdrivers on roadtrips when I didn't bring the letter opener.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I USE A METAL FINGER NAIL FILE

I take the rounded end of a metal finger nail file, put it in between the coin and paper and twist and spin the roll. It opens it like a can opener. Shake out the coins, check, put them back and flatten the ends. I have to take mine back rolled so this way it lets me reuse them. ScreenHunter_018.jpg

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
I just use my Gerber pliers and grab either rolled end and break the tough roll open it half way around or so then push the coins out. By far the fastest method I have used. Doing it that way if I just looked at the sides and no dates I bet I could bang out a box in 5 minutes.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
65gt, today I tried your method and a variation thereupon. I pretended I was cracking eggs open, and voila! out they came. Typically though, I just use my fingers. Thanks!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fiatboy said:
I hate it when they're taped.

You think that is bad. Several of the local Korean/Chinese banks tape their halves and big dollars. First they rubberband & then two strips of tape crossed at the top. Not too bad if it is recent, but if they have been sitting for a while it makes for some sticky coins. >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread