Curiosity got me.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys. I was just curious as to what older us coinage can still be found in rolls no matter how small the chance. I'm talking things like large cents and 3 cent nickels. If they can still be found in rolls based on size, what rolls would they be in? I don't exactly have the older coinage to compare to the new stuff and input would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Theres always a chance of virtually anything showing up in one of your coin rolls. There really is no way to provide a probability for these types of finds. Regarding which rolls would be most likely to contain those coins - It would be rolls of coin closest to their size. I find, other than some cents in cwr dime rolls, most of the time coin oddities are found in rolls of coin larger than the oddity itself. Its easier for a smaller coin to make its way into a larger diameter roll than vice versa. This is especially true with MWR. When rolling the coin, the machines don't seem to filter a coin by it's thickness but rather by it's diameter. As long as the diameter of the coin is near or the same as the MWR, the probability is there.

image.jpg

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen some interesting scarce coins found on this forum in coin rolls. A while back someone found a $5 gold indian in a penny or nickel roll (I think it was a nickel roll), and a 3-cent nickel turned up in a cent roll.
It's that crazy chance that anything could turn up (and the fact that - more often - decent coins like junk silver and wheats,etc often DO turn up) that makes this hobby so fun. (And impossible to give up!)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread