Two boxes of quarters

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Halves didn't come in yesterday. I ordered from a bank I've never ordered from before. They told
Me they forgot , and they will be in on Tuesday. No big deal. I decided to get a couple boxes of quarters. I have decent luck in the past with them. Not huge numbers or anything but 1 or 2 silvers per box.ended up with 2 1964-d in great shape 1 from each box. much better than finding 1 40% per box of halves. I'm gonna dump these and grab 2 more boxes today and see what happens. HH

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446287340.315460.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those 64-d are they shiney or kind of frosted looking? I have 64 D I got in change a few years ago that looks sorta frosted. The entire coin is that way but its in Really great shape I'd say AU at the worst. Something about it just seems odd to me.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Why do quarters always seem so much more pronounced with their white rims than dimes or halves is beyond be, but either way they still look pretty nice. Congrats.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ecc Texas silver quarters look strange sometimes. I look at silver quarters and think the same thing. I think it's because they are a coin we see everyday a few times a day so to seems silver one just seems strange . These 64 Are frosted not so much shiny .

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are exceptionally lucky! I've searched 10 boxes so far and nothing. I hope the luck continues with your next 2 boxes

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are exceptionally lucky! I've searched 10 boxes so far and nothing. I hope the luck continues with your next 2 boxes

Not so much luck as my my area tends to hold more consistent silver finds compared to other parts of the country. I normally do not search quarters , I've done somewhere around 25 boxes in 4 years of hunting and if i remember correctly i only got 3 skunks.

After my half dollar order on tuesday comes in i may try and search 6 boxes of quarters a week for a month and see what happens. They are so much easier to get rid and a few banks in my area love when i bring them quarters. As i said in my previous post i would rather find 1 silver quarter per box than 1 40% half per box. However if my half boxes continue to produce then i may not do the quarters.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Those 64-d are they shiney or kind of frosted looking? I have 64 D I got in change a few years ago that looks sorta frosted. The entire coin is that way but its in Really great shape I'd say AU at the worst. Something about it just seems odd to me.

While I have not kept up with nor am I very knowledgeable about Varieties for the 1964-D Kennedy Half Dollars, I do know that there are several transitional Varieties (i.e. changes in the Obverse Dies and use of Proof Reverse Dies). Two of the designators that I know of, is the OBV-002, RDV-001 "Accented Hair" and "Proof Reverse" Variety and the RDV-001 "Proof Reverse" Variety with a normal Kennedy Half Dollar Obverse. The frosted 1964-D Kennedy Half Dollars may fall into the first Variety I noted.

Frank

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can average over 1 per box, you should be doing as many boxes as you can get.

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Halves didn't come in yesterday. I ordered from a bank I've never ordered from before. They told
Me they forgot , and they will be in on Tuesday. No big deal. I decided to get a couple boxes of quarters. I have decent luck in the past with them. Not huge numbers or anything but 1 or 2 silvers per box.ended up with 2 1964-d in great shape 1 from each box. much better than finding 1 40% per box of halves. I'm gonna dump these and grab 2 more boxes today and see what happens. HH

View attachment 1229649

When you say you get 1 or 2 per box, how many boxes have you done? I dabbled a tiny bit in quarters many years ago just for the heck of it. I searched about $4k worth with nothing. I'm really curious to know. Because I never search quarters, I've never actually gotten one in the wild. It's on my bucket list.

OP
OP
M

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know a exact number for sure but in the 4 years I've been hunting it's around 25 so not to many. I know I only had about 3 maybe 4 skunks. I remember one box had 2 and they were both in the same roll. I need 6 more to complete my first roll of quarters from CRH. A lot I got from coin returns and teller trays included in that.

Give them a shot. I seen plenty of bags on coin counters that have silver quarters in them and ultimately those are what end up in boxes it's just that there is so damn many quarters in circulation

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hell, I think quarters are great just because there are so many different ones to look for. Late 2009 through early 2012 had pretty low mintages, around 20-30 million each. I think it's possible that those quarters, in good condition, could be worth more than junk silver in the future. Add in a few well known errors like the extra leaf Wisconsin ones, and it gets pretty fun in my opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread