You gotta read & see this +*%#!?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Was making my rounds to dump & pickup whatever dime boxes I can get for this Saturday holloween day. Picking up six boxes, proceeded to the post office to get the mail, after which to my regular bank that I sometimes make dumps, but not today. After cashing a small check for loose wallet CASH, I asked the teller( the head cashier) if she had any BIG IKES. She said none today, but the drive thru teller has several. I then asked her cant the bank deposit these thru the Fed Reserve System when they make deposits. Again she said NO, and proceeds to drive thru to get the IKE'S as part of the loose cash from the check I cashed. She gives me some bills and a large stack of Ikes. She says "this must be your Lucky Day, cuz some of these look like silver". I'm thinking Oh-Oh, maybe a Peace dollar. I didn't bother to look at them at the counter, but only put them in my pocket with cash in the wallet. Got to my car, then noticed two white rims and figured WOW, two Peace. Not until I meet up with the wife a our local McD did she notice, "hay, you got more than 2-Peace". After looking closer, I find a total of 5: 1885-p Morgan, 1922-p x3 peace, 1923-p peace. LADY LUCK HIT ME AGAIN IN OCTOBER. I say again, because I have another story that happened mid-October, but that's another lengthy story, until then enjoy the pics, it's still out there. Someone must have cashed in grampa's old collection.

Attachments

• image-1155038586.jpg
    image-1155038586.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2713067907.jpg
    image-2713067907.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 165
  • image-4271449495.jpg
    image-4271449495.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 192
Upvote 0

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where r u at that? Lol. That is a great story. I picked up a roll of Ikes yesterday but they were all clad. Hopefully soon I can share my story..

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of all the thousands of "big dollars" Ive gotten from banks I've only gotten 2 40% Ikes. That sort of find is on the top of by bucket list. Congratz!

You realize how many stupid hands those must have passed through before reaching yours? I mean really, nobody along the line ever looked at them and thought, 'hey these look like they might be valuable...'?

What luck.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome! That's the thing, they really aren't that valuable (as silver melt), and what teller today can even ID a 100-y.o. silver dollar to exchange for cash? You're lucky, because banks around here won't even accept old coins that they think have numismatic value.

silvercounselor

Oct 2, 2014
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow congrats! As I saw your pictures before reading my mouth dropped and gasped! Great find and I hope I can find just one silver dollar in the future

Buchsy

Oct 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
You're not the only one with luck in October, Dozer D

I normally don't post but can't help myself. I occasionally CRH when I'm on the road for work. Today, I was having a mediocre day CRH but I had this hunch to stop by this bank on my way home. It was on a major highway in an area that has been picked over for years by hunters and doesn't have much inflow from the public.

So, I went up to the teller area and asked for halves and Ikes, as I would usually do. The first teller said the expected, "No, sorry but we don't get many of those and we give them out as soon as we get them." But then a strange thing happened. The teller next to her said "I have some of those big dollar thingies." What she brought out was astonishing - something I haven't seen in my time doing this:

Morgans 10-24-15.jpg Morgans Side 10-24-15.jpg

That's right - 8 Morgans and 1 Peace dollar in a roll of Ikes. Unbelievable. And the Teller was counting them out in full view of everyone and no one even noticed!:headbang:

It just shows you that it's still out there and when you least expect it. None of mine are BU like your Peace dollar is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread