2 Possible Nickel Errors???

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these 2 nickels that both appear to have an error. The first one looks like it was struck in grease and some of the lettering is covered with extra nickel possibly (cud)? The second one is a solid copper color. Didn't get nickel plating? I'm not for certain if these are actual mint errors but I'm pretty sure the first one is. Tell me what you think, any feedback is appreciated. HH and have a great day.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
zach attack

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446342421.561552.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446342431.850524.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446342443.091114.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1446342451.706097.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neither are errors. The first one is either-or a combination of circulation wear or die wear. Cuds are when part of the die breaks away. The 2nd one is simply environmental damage. Nickels aren't plated.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Neither are errors. The first one is either-or a combination of circulation wear or die wear. Cuds are when part of the die breaks away. The 2nd one is simply environmental damage. Nickels aren't plated.

I agree that both are not errors! I could be wrong on the first Nickel but to me it appears that it spent some time in a dryer, then some sort of squeezing (compression) of the Obverse and Reverse both of which were intentional. The second Nickel was likely in a fire which caused the Copper in the composition to rise to the surface of the coin.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

I agree that both are not errors! I could be wrong on the first Nickel but to me it appears that it spent some time in a dryer, then some sort of squeezing (compression) of the Obverse and Reverse both of which were intentional. It appears to have been mounted in some type of clamping machinery, tool or device due to the lighter area highlighting "IN GOD WE TRUST", "LIBERTY" and the Date. Also, the Reverse Die was likely suffering severe Die Fatigue when the coin was struck.

The second Nickel was likely in a fire which caused the Copper in the composition to rise to the surface of the coin.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread