Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
believe your lyin' eyes- 1969-D 2 headed Half

found in a box this week. "trick" coin done in medal orientation weighs 10.6 grams vs. normal 11.4 grams. about a 10 degree shift in rotation. someone spent some time and 2 halves to make this, plus wasting the 40% silver shavings, only to have it go into circulation. :BangHead::laughing7::BangHead::laughing7:8-) IMG_2215.JPG IMG_2213.JPG IMG_2214.JPG

Upvote 0

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Just seeing that makes me sad. Such a waste of AG :BangHead:

At least some of it made it into your hands to be loved and protected :laughing7:

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty damn cool! Years ago I found a really nice 2 headed quarter. Had it for a long time, but eventually it was misplaced. And come on guys, it's not like the $4 worth of silver total in those coins is going to end the dang world. I imagine someone out there would pay more than $4 for this coin as is. And it's very possible that when this coin was made, the 40% silver halves weren't worth much more than face value anyhow.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pete, you nailed it!!. just an update, ran into a collector of odd items at my LCS today. told him about the coin--- he offered $20, which I will accept:-). edge checking would have missed this baby. also finding lots of high MS halves in recent boxes----not all keepers are silver!!---there is a buyer for everything, just put it on your hook and wait for a nibble:-)

fmerg

Nov 1, 2008
kingston ny
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
minelab quattro, explorer se pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if i can sell pulltabs you can sell this

Cobbolicious

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty damn cool! Years ago I found a really nice 2 headed quarter. Had it for a long time, but eventually it was misplaced. And come on guys, it's not like the $4 worth of silver total in those coins is going to end the dang world. I imagine someone out there would pay more than $4 for this coin as is. And it's very possible that when this coin was made, the 40% silver halves weren't worth much more than face value anyhow.

This reminds me of a story that the N.Y. Times published recently about a hollowed-out nickel: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/n...sboys-nickel-helped-convict-a-soviet-spy.html.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, that's awesome! Makes you wonder if there's anything like that still in circulation. Can you imagine finding a coin with some cold war era spy stuff in the middle?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread