$500 boxes of Halfs

Duckman Willcox

Sep 20, 2015
SouthTexas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500, XP Deus, Simplex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have just gone thru my 2nd and 3rd box of Halves sealed with shipping tape. They were square ones with two layers of rolls . They were a total skunk. The first box got last week was a big rectangle box sealed with glue with one layer of rolls. Great box even a Ben on end of a roll. wound up with 11 64's and 14 65-69. Does anyone know why the difference in packaging and is it an indication of different sourcing etc. When I got the second two they just looked like somebody's dump, but the rolls were MR.

Upvote 0

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
The two layer square boxes are from Brinks and the single layer flat boxes are loomis.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on who you get them from, makes no difference at all. All the armored car companies do is transport coin to and from the fed, they don't really have any say in things otherwise.

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on who you get them from, makes no difference at all. All the armored car companies do is transport coin to and from the fed, they don't really have any say in things otherwise.

Many people think that including 90% of bank tellers but thats not entirely correct. Although they do contract with the fed if the fed needs currency transported, the couriers also have contracts with all the banks and many businesses to provide and pickup currency. They have hubs where they sort, count, and reroll the coin and then store it for future deliveries. I know this first hand because I had everything arranged for a courier to deliver 15k in halves to me weekly. I found out a lot during that process. They had the contract all ready for me to sign before my wife had to put her foot down with my coin obsession :laughing7:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
They had the contract all ready for me to sign before my wife had to put her foot down with my coin obsession :laughing7:

Statch,
This is no more of an obsession than what Jack in "The Shining" had...............all work and no coin makes Statch a dull boy!!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
If a particular courier services mainly coinstar machines, I would think the silver count from these boxes would be slim if any. My experience with the few 'stacked' Brinks boxes of halves have been good, flat boxes not so good.

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
If a particular courier services mainly coinstar machines, I would think the silver count from these boxes would be slim if any. My experience with the few 'stacked' Brinks boxes of halves have been good, flat boxes not so good.

It never hurts to know whats upstream and downstream of your pickups and dumps. A few years ago Maverick made a post on the forums about all the marked coins he received from one of his pickup banks. Those were a $1k batch of coins I had marked and dumped at a specific bank in a town next to me about 1-2 weeks before he got them. I would only dump about 1 bag at that branch per week. I knew they used brinks and now knew that Maverick was somehow directly down stream from that bank.

Well fast forward a few months, that same bank has a coin counter and as I was dumping a few bags of zincons, I threw in a few rolls of halves I had on me. Surprisingly it filled the half bag. As one of the bankers removed the bag I could see it was chalk full of AG. They put it on a cart and had it sitting there while they figured out had to put in a new bag. I had a good 5 min to look at it closely. Not only were tons of 40s but many modern proof AG halves in beautiful condition. Well long story short I tried everything in my power to buy that bag from them but they refused. Heck I even offered to open up a second business account with them and wire transfer a balance of $36k. They still wouldn't budge on their policy.

Anywho, a few weeks later Maverick posts a dream box find among those found were a bunch of AG proofs in beautiful condition. :BangHead:

I was at least happy they went to someone who appreciated them. :thumbsup:

After that I decided to let him know whenever that bag filled but I've not seen that happen so far. Maybe if he knew he could up his boxes for the next few weeks and get them. I wish I had someone doing that for me... :sadsmiley:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an experiment for a while marking coins. I picked up from one bank/supplier and dumped at another.

I did a test run and bought some boxes from the dump supplier (totally different branches, just same supplier). Almost the whole box was marked. Seriously, the average was 12 or so of my marked coins per roll.

Not a single marked in my pickup boxes.

Now months later I am starting to get some as other searchers are picking up those godforsaken boxes and dumping them in my supply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions