Beware of this scammer

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Was going through one of my dime boxes from my Saturday morning pickups. Not only was it a LOOMIS SKUNK, but there was also three one cent coins that we're shaved down enough to be construed in a coin counting machine as a dime. I figure that this person who did this IS NOT A CRH because he had shaved down a very good looking 1956-d wheat cent that is now trashed. He needs a hobby, what do you think? CRH?

Upvote 0

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old trick. Usually in vending machines.

I doubt it's worth anyone's time nowadays, they are probably old.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
27 cents.....they really got one over on you!!!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the principal of theft and the idea that a person who cannot be trusted with small things cannot be trusted with bigger things.

or the person that worries over 27 cents has nothing better to worry about?

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Could have been part of a larger dump. If it got counted as a dime there, it would probably get counted as a dime going back into the machine. It's probably someone who was bored one day and had a grinder lying around.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the late 50's, us kids would sit on the curb, and grind down pennies, so they would fit in the older coke machines. We sure had a lot of coke to drink! Wonder where those pennies ended up, are some are maybe still around.

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
but there was also three one cent coins that we're shaved down enough to be construed in a coin counting machine as a dime. I figure that this person who did this IS NOT A CRH because he had shaved down a very good looking 1956-d wheat cent that is now trashed. He needs a hobby, what do you think? CRH?

Sorry man... that was me.

I make my living by filing down pennies to the size of dimes, then passing them off as dimes.

I make nine cents on each one.

And it only takes me a couple of hours each.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Shaved pennies? Just part of life. I have a least a few hundred of them. Most are from the 60s' and 50s'. If you get angry at finding these, plastic coins, foreign coins, short count rolls, and other assorted things that can make it through automated sorting equipment and into rolls, then you may need to find another pastime.

If it can be put into a coin roll, be it by accident or design, I have encountered it. I find it counterproductive to get upset about such things. I have found more than enough errors, silver, and other salable items to make up for the occasional shaved cent.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ad hominem is among the most common logical fallacies.

My sincerest of apologies. I felt personally attacked by your previous statement as over the weekend I ate 3 grapes at a grocery store without paying for them and was considering turning myself in the the police. Next time I will phrase it as "the principal of worrying about minutia results in..... blah blah blah as to merely disguise my insult in subtleness.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add insult to injury, I found an 1909 VDB shaved down.

If the dummy that did that years ago knew that it would be worth a premium NOT to, enough to buy several Cokes...

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To add insult to injury, I found an 1909 VDB shaved down.

If the dummy that did that years ago knew that it would be worth a premium NOT to, enough to buy several Cokes...

If a 1909 VDB were shaved down to the diameter of a dime... the VDB would no longer be visible, and you wouldn't have known it was a VDB.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
SORRY TO BRING UP THIS SUBJECT !!!!!

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...this thread went sideways...
untitled.png

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If a 1909 VDB were shaved down to the diameter of a dime... the VDB would no longer be visible, and you wouldn't have known it was a VDB.

I'm glad you wandered into the CRH forum to share that. Sorry for the blurry pics.

IMG_4438.JPG

IMG_4439.JPG

IMG_4440.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread