Do you catch flak from banks when you buy rolls?

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a question for you folks.

I have a regular bank and they are cool with me getting rolls. They request I give them a bit of notice for boxes, but otherwise they are fine. I have went to other banks, however, and while they have not asked if I have an account or not, they seem awfully...questioning...of my motives. I don't volunteer much...I just say I want a certain dollar's worth of whatever coin I am searching (mostly pennies) and hand them the money. It isn't like I hit the banks every day...it's usually maybe once a week or a bit longer...and I never dump in the same one. Heck, I usually dump in the neighboring town.

For example, today I went out to buy rolls. I bought $30 in nickels at my bank. No problem...here you go. I go to a bank down the block (the main branch, too) and asked for $30 in pennies. I felt like I was getting grilled and stared at way too much for wanting what I wanted. It makes me want to not return there.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? I mean, I don't see why they have to act suspicious or questioning of me for wanting $25-30 in pennies.

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You got what you wanted tho right? So who cares how the Bank employees attitude towards you is. Long as they honor your request, I see no problems... I go to a my local TD bank, and the VM, always has a straight face like shes tired of her job. When I ask for a box of dimes, she always go into the vault and gets me a box. I thank her and tell her to have a nice day, when i get the box. Be happy the bank honors your request for coins, and not Drill you if you have an account or makes you jump over hoops. You feel me?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some bank tellers are friendly some aren't... just something you have to deal with from time to time.

however... you kinda answered your own question. When you pick up a few rolls, like $30 in nickels you usually don't get a hard time... 15 rolls and banks generally have that on hand. When you ask for $25-30 in pennies.. it's the same dollar amount, but it's 50-70 rolls. That's a box, and like you mentioned for boxes you should order and give notice.

A bank only has so much coin on hand at a time, and they need this for all customers, especially businesses. They are tight with the coin because they don't want a business owner who banks with them to come and ask for coin and there is not enough on hand... Main branches are harder on it as well, because a lot of business customers go there.

Now don't get me wrong.. they usually have enough, more than enough, but stick to smaller amount like you said, but for each denomination.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not really the bank as much as it is the teller or tellers. I have bought rolls of coin from banks I have accounts with and ones I do not. I have encountered the rude stare and interrogation questions from both. Some tellers are just miserable people who have a problem with everything everyone does wether it's be at work or not at work. I have had tellers from a bank that I do not have a account at treat me great, and in the same day I have had tellers from banks I have a account at give me a hard time. So from experience it's all about the teller. Most are good people who don't mind helping , but some will give you a hard time and be rude if God for bid you actually make them bend down and pick up some rolls of coin. Work? On the clock? At work? You must be crazy! HH

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some bank tellers are friendly some aren't... just something you have to deal with from time to time.

however... you kinda answered your own question. When you pick up a few rolls, like $30 in nickels you usually don't get a hard time... 15 rolls and banks generally have that on hand. When you ask for $25-30 in pennies.. it's the same dollar amount, but it's 50-70 rolls. That's a box, and like you mentioned for boxes you should order and give notice.

A bank only has so much coin on hand at a time, and they need this for all customers, especially businesses. They are tight with the coin because they don't want a business owner who banks with them to come and ask for coin and there is not enough on hand... Main branches are harder on it as well, because a lot of business customers go there.

Now don't get me wrong.. they usually have enough, more than enough, but stick to smaller amount like you said, but for each denomination.

^This^

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
you kinda answered your own question. When you pick up a few rolls, like $30 in nickels you usually don't get a hard time... 15 rolls and banks generally have that on hand. When you ask for $25-30 in pennies.. it's the same dollar amount, but it's 50-70 rolls. That's a box, and like you mentioned for boxes you should order and give notice.

Bingo. +1

bamiddle

Jun 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its interesting you ask this.

Today during my weekly pick up my bankers mentioned to me that the courier service made a comment today actually. My bank has no issue with ordering whatever it is i want. For example I walked outta the bank a few weeks back with almost $4000 coins...

The drivers were like "we should charge you more for bringing you coins every week". I guess my bankers basically told them to go pound sand. My guess is they are sick of moving the boxes every week. I'm lead to believe they are the same people that pick up from my dump bank. Guess last week they made some comment to my pickup bank about picking a large amount of halves from another bank. When I went in to pick up they asked me and I confirmed and they just laughed...

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks have coin for customers regardless of what type of customer they are. It always makes
Me laugh when people say they like to save there coin for there business customers. It's BS ! They are a bank and it's no big secret but guess what? They deal with currency! That's why they are there. A customer is a customer. What if a business customer comes in and buys all the coin and then there is none for me? I'm a customer who pays there bank fees. I guess Burger King should limit double cheese burgers to 1 per customer so they can save most of them for there fat customers to make them happy. I don't agree with going to a bank and buying all there coin out , but don't look at me like I have 4 heads when I ask for $100 in dimes when that's exactly what your job entails.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks have coin for customers regardless of what type of customer they are. It always makes
Me laugh when people say they like to save there coin for there business customers. It's BS ! They are a bank and it's no big secret but guess what? They deal with currency! That's why they are there. A customer is a customer. What if a business customer comes in and buys all the coin and then there is none for me? I'm a customer who pays there bank fees. I guess Burger King should limit double cheese burgers to 1 per customer so they can save most of them for there fat customers to make them happy. I don't agree with going to a bank and buying all there coin out , but don't look at me like I have 4 heads when I ask for $100 in dimes when that's exactly what your job entails.

Average customers do not need large amounts of coin- usually a roll or two of quarters for parking and laundry at the most.

Those businesses NEED coins to provide change and keep their business operating. That's the difference. They often pay extra for that service and the guarantee that coins are available for them (business account).

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
CRH'ing is for weirdo's, certainly in the eyes of most non-CRH'ers. Get used to at least some odd looks or this is an a good hobby to get into. With me luck, I'm going to spend most of the day getting odd looks.

OP
OP
mrogers07

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, one key thing I have learned from your replies is that it's nice to order boxes of coins ahead of time, especially if those boxes entail a lot of coinage. Thanks for that tip, and I will make use of it.

You all are also right about tellers. Many are great and some are just jerks. I can't blame the bank for that.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The size of the branch and the volume of customers has a lot to do with it too. Today I walked into a busy and large branch of a bank and walked out with 2 boxes of dimes. I then stop at a small branch with a small customer base and they couldn't spare me $50 in dimes and $5 in Pennies. Some banks are keepers others aren't

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For more then ten years, I had purchased rolls of quarters for washers and dryers, never did find any coins worth more then face value. I went into my bank and was asked for my debit card, and was info they give coins only to their customers.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, one key thing I have learned from your replies is that it's nice to order boxes of coins ahead of time, especially if those boxes entail a lot of coinage. Thanks for that tip, and I will make use of it.

You all are also right about tellers. Many are great and some are just jerks. I can't blame the bank for that.
The tellers may only enforce bank rules.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

"You all are also right about tellers. Many are great and some are just jerks. I can't blame the bank for that."

Well, you can blame the bank for that. Some banks are ruthless in the way they treat their employees, constant pressure on the tellers to sell-sell-sell services. Constant pressure and brow-beating. I can understand if tellers get a bit testy at times. It's not a job I would ever relish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread