What are the benefits to dumping out of state?

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
You see the title, I want to know how dumping Halves helps/hurts your case. I try to put my halves in consumers hands whenever possible and they probably keep them in a jar or something. In my case of the Cincinnati area, I would drive about an hour to Indiana to dump in a different district.

Also another question, since a branch of the fed is located in cincinnati proper. If I were to dump in a different fed district but its still leagues closer to district 4 fed. Would those coins go to mine, or Indiana's fed?

I'm trying to debate if its worth the drive to not see my coins again or not.

Upvote 0

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You see the title, I want to know how dumping Halves helps/hurts your case. I try to put my halves in consumers hands whenever possible and they probably keep them in a jar or something. In my case of the Cincinnati area, I would drive about an hour to Indiana to dump in a different district.

Also another question, since a branch of the fed is located in cincinnati proper. If I were to dump in a different fed district but its still leagues closer to district 4 fed. Would those coins go to mine, or Indiana's fed?

I don't think Federal Reserve Banks, regardless of District, have anything to do with the circulation and management of coin whatsoever. The commercial banks (the Fifth Thirds and Chases of the world), along with the processors / carriers (Brinks, Loomis, Garda) are the people you need to be concerned with. For example, if you are getting coin from a Fifth Third in Cincy, and dump at a bank (even a bank within Ohio) that is served by a completely different Brinks/Garda facility,then you are probably not going to see your own dumps... or, at least see them less often.

Just my two cents!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a carp shoot. Since your not doing this for fun "What difference does it make." HILLARY.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Don't do it!!! I'll bring them back, I swear!!

cussing.gif
cussing.gif
cussing.gif

OP
OP
I

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't think Federal Reserve Banks, regardless of District, have anything to do with the circulation and management of coin whatsoever. The commercial banks (the Fifth Thirds and Chases of the world), along with the processors / carriers (Brinks, Loomis, Garda) are the people you need to be concerned with. For example, if you are getting coin from a Fifth Third in Cincy, and dump at a bank (even a bank within Ohio) that is served by a completely different Brinks/Garda facility,then you are probably not going to see your own dumps... or, at least see them less often.

Just my two cents!

hmm, that's definitely something to think on. Brinks pretty much is the only armored car company that i've ever seen here. They have quite a lot of the banks and businesses around here.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most silver coins you see people get from CRH, is not directly from the coin carriers ie. Brinks/Garda/Loomis, etc... They come from people turning them into banks which gets turned into the coin rollers/carriers, then they get stacked in vault waiting to be ordered and sent to a bank. Any given location might have only a Pallet of Halves, If your location is dry after working 10-20k you can bet that pallet has no silver in it. You are better off just hoping that some people turn in their coin collection, than drive to another state and dumping... Better yet, take that gas money and go down to the local coin shop, You will come out ontop.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
In my area I don't think it makes a bit of difference where i dump my coin. The best i can tell Loomis is the only game in town. I don't know how far I would have to drive to dump my coin into a different stream.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally, my decision would be based solely on the volume I was doing. If I was only doing $1k-$2k per week, I wouldn't worry about it at all. If there aren't enough coins entering your system to where that trivial amount "pollutes" your system to the point to where your getting a big percentage of your dumps back, then you're likely not going to find much anyway. I dumped into my own supply since day 1. All banks near here are serviced by Loomis. It would be well over a 100 mile round trip to get my dumps into other processors' systems. During my years of searching I dumped many uniquely marked/stickered/holed/plated coins that I would instantly recognize should I see them again. Never saw the first one.

Now, if I were doing $10k+, then I'd certainly feel better getting them out of my system.

Keep in mind that out of state, does not necessarily mean out of system. Also, two banks next door to each other might use different systems.

Last edited:

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well out of state in my case is a different fed district according to wiki.

Fed district is all but irrelevant. All that comes directly from the Fed (other than maybe some dusty ol' bags of stored big dollars) are bags of new coins. Its the coin processors (Brinks, Loomis, etc) handling the rolling, boxing and distribution. I would think a single processor could work across different Fed districts depending upon location.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Most of the coins in circulation today have not seen the inside of a Federal Reserve Bank facility since initial distribution. They do, however, see the inside of various processing centers, mostly owned and operated by various armored services, on a frequent basis.

A typical processing center will process coin and currency for one or more armored service. Incoming coin is counted and appropriate accounts credited in accordance with client contract language, Federal and State regulations, and Federal Reserve policy. Coin, after count is verified, is transferred to a hopper to await rolling or bagging. Rolled coin is packaged and palletized. Loose bagged coin is separately palletized.

Currency follows a similar path.

Any single processing center may have a cooperative relationship with several nearby processing centers to provide or request coin or currency to meet client demand, so, yes, a dump with one carrier could become the pick up at a different bank using a different armored service. How often this happens is dependent on several factors, such as unusual client demand and maintenance issues with counting and wrapping machines.

Should considerable excess of any particular denomination of coin of currency occur, such as dollar coins, excess is transferred to Federal Reserve controlled vaults for storage. While these vaults are controlled by the Federal Reserve, some are actually located in a controlled section of the above mentioned processing centers.

Does this help in determining the best course of action for the OP?

Last edited:

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prefet the other coin roll hunter to get them than me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread