Exchange 40%ers for bullion

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I have a couple appointments with coin dealers today. We will be discussing trading my 40%ers for 90% or silver eagles. However, I am new to the silver game and have zero idea as to what I should expect. What bottom dollar should I have on the worth of my 40%s? What is the top dollar in worth I should be willing to give for 90%s or silver eagles?

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not take less than $1.80 for my 40% silver halves at today's spot price. Good luck!

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I have a couple appointments with coin dealers today. We will be discussing trading my 40%ers for 90% or silver eagles. However, I am new to the silver game and have zero idea as to what I should expect. What bottom dollar should I have on the worth of my 40%s? What is the top dollar in worth I should be willing to give for 90%s or silver eagles?

My assumption is that by "coin dealers" you mean people who run a physical coin shop. This is just my opinion, obviously, but I would HIGHLY suggest that you stay as far away as possible from coin dealers if you want to sell, trade or purchase coin, bullion, scrap, or currency.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for supporting small local businesses. It's quite OK to go to a LCS to buy storage tubes, 2x2 flips, or other supplies.... but NEVER sell, trade or buy coin from them, as your behind will be metaphorically sore for weeks afterwards.

There are alternatives to dealers. Try putting a post up on your local Craig’s list, go to a local antique / collectible / coin auction and simply strike-up conversations with people in attendance, post your stuff on a local metal detecting forum’s “buy/sell/trade” section (if you can for free), do ANYTHING other than deal with coin dealers.

Be patient, be firm, be tenacious and you might be able to trade your 40%ers for 90%ers at a 3-for-1 rate or better (a straight-up trade would be 2.44 to 1, but that isn’t going to happen).

Good luck!

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with Buff on the price, I would not go any lower than that. I'm not sure what my dealer pays for 40%, but it's probably a bit less than he pays for 90%.

My dealer pays $1 under spot and sells for $1 over spot (He's a great guy!). If he paid the same rate for 40% as 90%, you should get right around $2.00 a piece. Since 40% are less desirable, he might pay less.

Right now you can get ASEs on JMBullion for $18.63 a piece with free shipping on any order.

If your dealer gives you the worst case $1.80 per 40%, you could take the cash from 10.35 of them and buy the ASE from JMBullion ($18.63/$1.80=10.35).

Since it would take 10.35 40% to buy the ASE from JMBullion, your dealer should ideally straight up trade 10.35 40% for each ASE WORST CASE. You would essentially be trading 1.53 oz. of 40% for 1 oz. of .999 ASE. ($3.70 net loss a piece)

Best case at $2.00 a piece, you're at 9.32 40% per ASE ($18.63/$2.00). That is essentially trading 1.37 oz of 40% for 1 oz. of .999 ASE. ($1.48 net loss a piece)

To summarize, he should straight up trade between 9 to 11 40% straight up for an ASE. The closer you get to 9, the better. If he's much over 11 per ASE I wouldn't take the deal.

As a disclaimer, your "net losses" are certainly covered by the fact that you found your 40% at face value, so you don't necessarily need to consider it a loss per se.

My personal opinion is to try to find another collector who is looking to diversify into coin from .999 pure. You will likely get a fairer trade since you have something that he wants and he has something that you want. Let us know how it goes!

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coin dealer sella the Eagles ar $17.57 and buys 40% Keens at $3.50 per dollar. This means I have to sell him 10.04 Kenns ($5.02 face )40% for one Eagle. I am ok doing this because in my mind the Eagle is just costing me $5.02 in 40%. Halfs.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My six rolls of 40% halves sat on Craigslist for about a month. I was able to get about 70% of melt, which was about twice what my LCS would pay.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why in the world do you want to reduce your silver position?

OP
OP
S

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, the meetings went about the way you guys predicted. The best offer I got was 3 times fv. And then it occurred to me... I could actually probably come out a little ahead if I just sold them on the bay.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone here looked at the cost of melting the 40%ers into silver bullion? Is it feasible?

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
As an FYI, I asked my dealer today what he pays for 40% and he said he would do $3.75 on the dollar or $1.88 a piece (again, good guy). Spot price is $14.55 today, for reference.

Sfynks, if you head out to the Bay, make sure you take fees into account... 10% off the top + PayPal + shipping.

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Before I'd sell silver at a dealer, I'd check to see how much Provident, JM Bullion, etc would pay, and how much their ASE's cost. A quick glance at Provident's website shows that they're paying $4.09 per $1 face for 40%'s. They're selling BU ASE's for $17.74. By my math that's 8.7 40% Kennedy's per ASE. However, you do need to figure shipping.

Bottom line, do your homework to give you leverage when bargaining with your LCS.

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
......Provident's website shows that they're paying $4.09 per $1 face for 40%'s. They're selling BU ASE's for $17.74. By my math that's 8.7 40% Kennedy's per ASE............

Good math FT. That's losing over 1/4 ounce of silver per ounce transacted (without accounting for shipping).

I have 6,170 40% Kennedy halves, so divided by 8.7 means that I can get about 709 1 oz Eagles.

My 40% position currently has 912.5 ounces of silver, so I would lose over 200 ounces.

Unless you live in what amounts to the size of a hall closet and need more room, it makes no sense.

Last edited:

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Selling or trading 40% halves you will never get full silver value...

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So then you accumalate them just? For what?

If you're in a cash poor position, then I might understand trading silver for cash. Trading silver for other silver at a 25% loss is ridiculous.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But ASE get scare and dificult to find when silver is very high do you may be able to sell them at a premium.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you're in a cash poor position, then I might understand trading silver for cash. Trading silver for other silver at a 25% loss is ridiculous.

:icon_scratch: How is he going to gain more if he trade his 40% for cash?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But ASE get scare and dificult to find when silver is very high do you may be able to sell them at a premium.

You are buying them for a premium so the point is moot. And they will never be scarce - 45 million minted this year, 44 million last year.....

Buy what you want and what you like, but if your goal is to stock pile as much silver as possible then silver eagles are not the way to go.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions