Selling 40%ers...Opinion?

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sounds too good to be true, proceed with caution.

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1970 is silver also. If you have $50 or less invested it's a good deal. Nobody but a fool would pay more than melt unless there is a rare coin involved.

I thought so too, but I did a 5 entry sampling of Kennedy halves 65-69 that actually sold on Ebay over the weekend (and not just a "Buy it Now") and the average was quite a bit higher than melt ($2.60 was the average of the five). So I took that number and the melt value and met in the middle. I don't want to screw anyone, but the way I got that number makes sense to me. Am I missing something?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. I have an opportunity tomorrow to sell 100 40%ers for $237.00. That is 25 cents over melt. Any thoughts on whether I should take it?

Are you asking whether or not you should sell (or hold), or whether or not $2.37 each is a good price for 40%ers?

Anytime you can clear 10%+ over melt for 40%ers, you are doing EXCEPTIONALLY well. If I was looking to sell immediately, I'd jump all over this before the buyer reconsiders. Now whether or not it is wise to sell right now obviously depends upon what the spot price of silver does in the future. I personally don't think its going up anytime soon, and I would also go so far to say that I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the $10-$12 range in the near future. With that said, I haven't sold the first coin. It wasn't that long ago that 40%ers were bringing $6+ each (I didn't sell then either :BangHead:)...so seller beware. :laughing7:

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if they are beat to crap-- then they are melt. if you have higher grade 40's then they are worth book (AU and better with minimal wear can sell for $4-6). like everything, there is a buyer (read that as amateur collector) for all things on Earth ---and quality matters. a 2015 Corvette that got hit by a truck is not worth the same as one in the showroom. just find the end of the line buyer___not some dope looking to re-sell them for profit at your loss:-). sell them in complete set lots with fair shipping fee. just my humble opinion

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
I suppose if you need the $237; go for it. But silver is at a roughly six year low right now. I'd stockpile it and wait. I'm just saying.

Last edited:

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
If you are wanting to sell that is probably the best deal you will find today.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today that is a good price to sell as Norcal stated. People need to open up their eyes a bit and forget what happen a month, a year, or 10 years ago. Lately I have routinely seen 40% silver go for over melt. With 90% selling at 13-15x face even though melt is 10.5x face, Eagles selling for $17-$20 each, and average circulated Morgans selling for $20-25 each paying a few cents over melt for 40% Kennedy's is a relative bargain. Over the past 3 weeks I have personally sold over 2000 40% halves for $2.25-$2.35 each. CASH. With silver this low, I would try to hold on to them as long as possible - unless you need the money or are just flipping them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread