ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If every box was somehow guaranteed to contain exactly 1 40%er, no more and no less, I would not hunt. It would not be worth the time, trouble, and expense. However, if after years and multitudes of boxes of real-world hunting I was averaging that same 1 40%er per box, I would likely continue. For sure, the results (or lack thereof) would not be enough on its own to make me quit. What keeps most of us CRHers going is the unknown - the possibility of that big score.

Its akin to buying a lottery ticket, which I also occasionally do. I have no realistic expectation of a big win, but there is always that possibility...

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eh, if I only cared about the silver, then no way. This isn't a good way to make money unless you get really lucky.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long-term, I've averaged probably 2-2.5 per box. A few great ones, about 35-40% skunks, but most boxes have 1-2. Like the others stated, it's the thrill of the hunt & the minuscule possibility of a dream box that keeps me going. I only do a few a month now, though, and it's with very little effort. I don't drive around town every day like I used to. Probably won't get that dream box now either - gotta do tons of volume or get really lucky.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
For the most part, I'm done. I set a goal for one year and almost hit it. However, had I spent the same amount of time working on my business or even my house, the reward would have been MUCH greater. I know this is a hobby and that not many people make much money at it anymore. For me, it's just a time/reward calculation, and my time will be much better spent focusing on other priorities. I may still order a box on occasion. I WILL forever look in teller trays and coinstar machines...but for now, I'm out.

Many thanks to you all that educated and encouraged me over the last year. You all seem to be a good bunch of people.

By the way, my last 17 boxes were skunks.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting to you all!

Grease

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I would still search.

I do approximately twelve boxes of halves per week, give or take. At twelve boxes per week, if I found a single 40%er per box that's a little over 1.75 ozt. per week, and just over 92 ozt. per year. Still well worth it to me, when considering that it's a savings vehicle. I'd be adding around $1200 (at today's price) per year to my total savings.

I have fine tuned my pick-up and dump schedule to the point that I minimize time spent traveling and completing the pick-up and/or dumping task. To the point that I dump, travel, and pick-up in the matter of 45 minutes on my lunch breaks every day.

Time spent searching is done while I'm just sitting around at the end of the night. The only real cost to me is wear and tear on my car, around $500 per year, and which I consider the dues for pursuing this hobby. Which, coincidentally, is very much cheaper than the fees associated with my other hobbies: Jiu-Jitsu and weightlifting.

So, hell yeah I'd still search!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as I am finding silver then I will continue searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread