Grrr.

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Grrr" is a bit too tame of a sentiment, IMHO.
I too have absolutely no problem with tellers scooping-up all the silver they may come across (I certainly would!). HOWEVER, the problem I have is that if she were going to keep it for herself, she should have removed it from public view. Put the damn thing in an envelope, keep it in the cash drawer, etc. Anything other than having it sit in the open and then refuse to sell it when asked! Breathtaking lack of class on her part.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Grrr" is a bit too tame of a sentiment, IMHO.
I too have absolutely no problem with tellers scooping-up all the silver they may come across (I certainly would!). HOWEVER, the problem I have is that if she were going to keep it for herself, she should have removed it from public view. Put the damn thing in an envelope, keep it in the cash drawer, etc. Anything other than having it sit in the open and then refuse to sell it when asked! Breathtaking lack of class on her part.

I think we as CRHers often look at the teller's tray with the wrong notion. We look at it as if it was a rack of items for sale, when in reality its just a convenience for the tellers that we sometimes can see. A bank is in no way a coin store.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think we as CRHers often look at the teller's tray with the wrong notion. We look at it as if it was a rack of items for sale, when in reality its just a convenience for the tellers that we sometimes can see. A bank is in no way a coin store.

The way I look at it is, if I can see it, I should be able to get it.

My guess is that teller was probably saving it for another CRH that buys her cookies.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe a chat with the manager for clarification of policy in dealing with customers? like all things,, sometimes attitudes also need to be adjusted. stand your ground

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This.

You are entitled to nothing. Sure, you can ask to buy X amount of coins, but they do not have to come from there. She may have $10 in silver quarters right there, but if you ask to buy $10 worth of quarters, she can easily give you another roll and she's still done her job.

maybe a chat with the manager for clarification of policy in dealing with customers? like all things,, sometimes attitudes also need to be adjusted. stand your ground

What would that accomplish, exactly? She is not required to sell you anything in that tray. As I said above, as long as she delivers what you ask for, she's done nothing wrong. You're honestly going to try to get her in trouble because she didn't satisfy your roll hunting needs and wants?

Don't rock the boat. You are not entitled to what is there. Rock the boat too much and kiss that spot goodbye.

Last edited:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My guess is that teller was probably saving it for another CRH that buys her cookies.

Then buy her some cookies.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have just asked to buy it, as in pay a premium over face.
That's how I obtained my 1938D key walker, paid $5 for it over the counter.
Cash talks, cookies not so much.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This.

You are entitled to nothing. Sure, you can ask to buy X amount of coins, but they do not have to come from there. She may have $10 in silver quarters right there, but if you ask to buy $10 worth of quarters, she can easily give you another roll and she's still done her job.

What would that accomplish, exactly? She is not required to sell you anything in that tray. As I said above, as long as she delivers what you ask for, she's done nothing wrong. You're honestly going to try to get her in trouble because she didn't satisfy your roll hunting needs and wants?

Don't rock the boat. You are not entitled to what is there. Rock the boat too much and kiss that spot goodbye.

They are sitting in the tray for a reason. They are meant to go to customers. If she is not going to sell it to customers then it shouldn't be sitting out. I have no problem with her keeping it for herself. She just shouldn't put stuff in the tray that she won't give out.its called being a tease. I have met plenty of them in my life.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YOU NAILED IT!! if it is not available, it should not be in the tray. just some rare common sense
They are sitting in the tray for a reason. They are meant to go to customers. If she is not going to sell it to customers then it shouldn't be sitting out. I have no problem with her keeping it for herself. She just shouldn't put stuff in the tray that she won't give out.its called being a tease. I have met plenty of them in my life.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy **** there are some entitled people here. People demanding that tellers do something for them is what gives CRHers a bad name.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

YOU NAILED IT!! if it is not available, it should not be in the tray. just some rare common sense

They are sitting in that tray for teller convenience. Convenience, though does not mean she has to use them at all. Maybe she just likes looking at a tray filled with coins? Who knows. As long as she delivers what a customer asks for...$10 in quarters for a $10 bill...there is nothing to complain about.

Again, she has to sell you nothing out of that tray. You can call it a tease or whatever you like, but the bank is not your personal coin dealer. The only common sense to be found here is knowing that they do not have to cater to your every whim and desire.

Holy **** there are some entitled people here. People demanding that tellers do something for them is what gives CRHers a bad name.

I agree. You take what you get and roll the dice. That's how roll hunting works.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think, if the teller does not sell you the coin you should not press it, any CRH with any ethics in the hobby should know that. With that said if you really want to be an ass, you can withdraw some money like 101 dollars and when they ask you how would you like your money? say 20s and 1 silver dollar please. :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have/had zero interest in pressing it, I dont care. Maybe I titled it wrong. Should have just said "dang" instead of Grrr.

I feel fortunate they sell us any coins the way some act.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have/had zero interest in pressing it, I dont care. Maybe I titled it wrong. Should have just said "dang" instead of Grrr.

I feel fortunate they sell us any coins the way some act.

Sorry if my previous comment seemed to have directed to you. I meant in general for everyone. I know there are some jerks out there that will press the buttons for a silver dollar. You did the right thing. This one time I was dumping and I saw teller tray has a silver half dollar, I asked for it. The teller said she was keeping it for herself. I said Oh, then wished her luck when I got my cash.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

True enough, but it's still bad form to have coins in your tray that you won't part with. If you're saving them for yourself or for another customer, put them away out of sight. If nothing else, it prevents another teller from giving them away while you're at lunch. I've actually scored silver that way; not on purpose, but asked for half dollars at a bank. The teller didn't have any, but checked with the drive thru station, noted the teller was at lunch, but traded $2 in quarters for the $2 in silver halves that were sitting there and gave them to me!

The moral of the story is you don't tease the animals, or the customers.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are sitting in that tray for teller convenience. Convenience, though does not mean she has to use them at all. Maybe she just likes looking at a tray filled with coins? Who knows. As long as she delivers what a customer asks for...$10 in quarters for a $10 bill...there is nothing to complain about.

Again, she has to sell you nothing out of that tray. You can call it a tease or whatever you like, but the bank is not your personal coin dealer. The only common sense to be found here is knowing that they do not have to cater to your every whim and desire.

I agree. You take what you get and roll the dice. That's how roll hunting works.

I don't think of a bank as a personal coin shop. I 100% would not cause a scene or ask for a manager if a teller wouldn't give me a coin from her tray. I would do everything in my power to get a silver dollar from the tray though. First i would ask to exchange a dollar for it. If that didn't work I would offer to pay her money for it. If that didn't work then I would call it a day.

What I don't understand is your reaction to the OP. Its a natural reaction to be a little mad that a teller won't sell a coin off there tray. Thats the purpose of the tray is to give coins to people who take money out. Its like if Dunkin donuts has one Boston Creme donut on a tray and I go to buy it and they won't give it to me. I can see it and they won't sell it to me. Of course i am going to be mad or a little upset. All everyone is saying is that the teller should have used a little common sense and put the silver dollar away and out of sight.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True enough, but it's still bad form to have coins in your tray that you won't part with. If you're saving them for yourself or for another customer, put them away out of sight. If nothing else, it prevents another teller from giving them away while you're at lunch. I've actually scored silver that way; not on purpose, but asked for half dollars at a bank. The teller didn't have any, but checked with the drive thru station, noted the teller was at lunch, but traded $2 in quarters for the $2 in silver halves that were sitting there and gave them to me!

The moral of the story is you don't tease the animals, or the customers.

While it is disappointing to be able to see silver and not get it, I still contend that it really isn't even teasing. We're the ones "peeking". If any teasing is going on, we're just teasing ourselves by looking for things that we hope to obtain from places that were never intended to be shopping displays.

If a salesperson at a jewelry store told you that the ring that you just picked out of the display wasn't for sale because he/she was keeping it for him/herself, that would be teasing. If a salesperson at a clothing store won't sell a displayed clothing item because he/she wants it, that would be teasing. However, the guy that works on my car is not teasing me by "displaying" a wrench I happen to be able to see in his open toolbox, but won't sell to me. Same with a teller with silver in the tray.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions