Screwed over by Brinks

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Trying to hit my goal for the year ( I am so close ) I doubled my box order from my main pick up bank 4 boxes.
When I went to pick them up today the vault manager came over and told me that they came in but it is weird that the boxes have the tape already broken. I opened them up and low and behold not only is the seal broken but all the rolls have one end opened and folded over.
These are MY boxes that I have already searched and returned to other banks.
The vault manager knows that these were delivered by brinks. They have not taken in any boxes from customers.
Two of the boxes are boxes that I dumped at my credit union on Saturday. They are right accross the street. The other two are from boxes I dumped at other banks last week.
My bank understands my delema that I do not want to research these boxes but they will not order any more till they are gone.
I took two of them and they will order 2 boxes for next week. But then I have to take the other two.
I am going to put a big X on the boxes so that if brinks tries to deliver them again the bank said that they will refuse them.
How can brinks pick up boxes at one bank and deliver them to another bank without prossesing them through their plant? That is taking a huge risk on their part I think.

Attachments

• 1451438210647.jpg
    1451438210647.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea about marking your boxes. Brinks ships out repackaged dumps here too. Hope that idea fixes your delima! Sorry to hear that you were so close to your goal, at least you almost achieved it. Good luck in 2016!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Steve - I'm no expert, but I don't think demanding that the bank refuse halves from Brinks is a good idea in the long run. I'd just suck it up, take the halves, and thank them for their help. Just my opinion. Good luck hitting your goals for the year.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your really not supposed to dump this way. Re rolling in the same rolls and putting back into the same boxes is one of the coin roll hunting no no's. If you don't have access to coin counters then re roll in the paper wrappers provided by the banks and split up the dumps. Your basically giving back the same exact thing you ordered doing it the way your doing it. Also when you order half dollars you are ordering just that. No one said they need to give you Unsearched halves, or boxes that have rolls with one end opened. I would change up your dump situation asap. HH

Last edited:
OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Steve - I'm no expert, but I don't think demanding that the bank refuse halves from Brinks is a good idea in the long run. I'd just suck it up, take the halves, and thank them for their help. Just my opinion. Good luck hitting your goals for the year.

Twitch,
I did not demand the bank do this. I am buying these boxes from them. That is what they suggested. I am very friendly with everyone at the bank. They were not happy that brinks did this as they know I search for silver. The branch manager tells me about his cwr finds ( he searches all customer halves and lots of other denominations when they look like they might be good) and I tell him about some of my mwr finds.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You're not buying anything. You're being a hassle at their expense.

Why not ask the manager to search the rolls for you...sheesh.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Your really not supposed to dump this way. Re rolling in the same rolls and putting back into the same boxes is one of the coin roll hunting no no's. If you don't have access to coin counters then re roll in the paper wrappers provided by the banks and split up the dumps. Your basically giving back the same exact thing you ordered doing it the way your doing it. Also when you order half dollars you are ordering just that. No one said they need to give you Unsearched halves, or boxes that have rolls with one end opened. I would change up your dump situation asap. HH

I have dump banks and I have pick up banks. I never dump at banks that I pick up from. So, I am NOT giving back what I got. I have no coin counters near me. The banks that will take full boxes have asked me to bring them in this way. They only want them in the original box so that it is easier for them to store them till they send them back. The banks that only take $100.00 or so at a time I do reroll in paper wrappers.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

+1.

It is very frustrating to see your own dumps. As Mark said, you have to switch a dumping bank. Brinks does this way all over the places. It is their cost saving measures. I've seen boxes like this in many states as I searched boxes when I am on trips.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
Good idea about marking your boxes. Brinks ships out repackaged dumps here too. Hope that idea fixes your delima! Sorry to hear that you were so close to your goal, at least you almost achieved it. Good luck in 2016!

Thanks BB
You seem to be the only voice of reason here. I dont have a problem with any of the banks I deal with. And they do not have a problem with me. I just thought that it sucked to have brinks deliver unprocessed dumps. I had not seen that before.
Still have a few days left of 2015. Not giving up on my goal yet. I did pick up a box at another bank that i will search tonight and one more to pickn up on thursday.
Hope you exceeded Your goals this year and best of luck to you next year. Happy hunting and happy new years

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
We've all got boxes of repacked dumped before, it's part of the game. It's no fun, but it is what it is. Sometimes they're folded over (like yours), sometimes they're actual CWR's in a sealed box. It happens. Brinks taking boxes from across the street and delivering them to your bank is a good decision for a for-profit business to make.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
We've all got boxes of repacked dumped before, it's part of the game. It's no fun, but it is what it is. Sometimes they're folded over (like yours), sometimes they're actual CWR's in a sealed box. It happens. Brinks taking boxes from across the street and delivering them to your bank is a good decision for a for-profit business to make.

Ive only been ordering boxes for a little over a year. This was a new one for me. I keep finding new twists to this hobby. Wouldn't this also be a risk for brinks since they do not know for sure that they really are half dollars in the rolls?
It sucks but if this is part of the game I can deal with that. It seams that the bank was more upset about it than I was. Like I said I am buying them back from the bank. I will find a way to dump farther away from my main pick-up bank.
From what I have read it seams like you have had a good year. Hope it continues for you next year.

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just part of the game

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to encounter the phenomena of the rerolled dump box like that but I suppose it's only a matter of time, it seems to happen regular in areas that dont have many coin counters. Luckily here every bank has a coin counter of some type.

It looks to me like you have been dumping into your supply and it finally come around and bit you. We know you are just venting Steve but its a part of this game and it's part of the challenge.

I've been small potatoes since I've started never been real consistent at ordering on a regular basis. Sorting out my pick up and supply is something I am going to have to work out too after this winter as I am going to try to do 4 to 10 boxes every week and a $1000 dollar bag. I'm almost guaranteeing myself that one of the bags this winter will be a dump bag of mine from somewhere.

If there is a bright side in all this at least you know the rolls havent been shorted.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Complaining because you made a CRH mistake seems petty, don't you think? You order a box of halves and a box of halves you get. You don't have the right to fresh boxes.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Complaining because you made a CRH mistake seems petty, don't you think? You order a box of halves and a box of halves you get. You don't have the right to fresh boxes.

He's right. The only way you're guaranteed not to get the same rolls is to dump in bags (loose) or dump rolls into a bank that uses a different currier.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would begin dumping them in loose rolls or something. They are just being economical by reusing the boxed coin. Maybe you'd have a better chance if they had to do a little more work.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what buffalo boy said was not a voice of reason but was what you wanted to hear . You posted this for advice not to hear what you want to hear. Brinks sucks for doing this yes , but they can do what they want. You said you dumped across the street. It's still the same coin truck and same truck drivers that deliver your coin that pick them up across the street. I have said it many times before. One coin
Supplier will deliver and pick up currency from all the banks in a 20 mile radius. They are the same employees
And everything. Each bank does not have its own coin delivery and in most cases it's the same delivery service wether they are supplied by brinks or
Dunbar. This does not make what they are doing ok. Again I'm sorry this is happening but the truth is your dumping situation is not the greatest regardless of what the banks say

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread