First time post/introduction!

TheGolfGuy

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys! So I have been looking at this site for a while and decided to start an account! I love CRHing, (though I haven't found any silver yet)! Any beginner tips for a CRHing newbie? Any key dates? So far I have found a proof half and lots of wheats... Also a few Ikes! Oh yea and a war nickel! So I guess that counts as silver!:tongue3:

Upvote 0

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hunt.

Best tip I can give you is read the Beginners Guide stickied to the top of the forum if you havent already

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally avoid the Beginners Guide post. I had to unlearn a lot of that information that's posted in there. If you're looking for silver, just keep hunting and you'll find it. If you're looking for varieties, buy the Cherrypickers' Guides, get reading, and clear your calendar because you'll be looking at a lot of coins. If you're looking for errors, pick out anything unusual you find, take a picture of it, ask about it on here, and eventually you'll learn what is probably an error and what isn't.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally avoid the Beginners Guide post. I had to unlearn a lot of that information that's posted in there. If you're looking for silver, just keep hunting and you'll find it. If you're looking for varieties, buy the Cherrypickers' Guides, get reading, and clear your calendar because you'll be looking at a lot of coins. If you're looking for errors, pick out anything unusual you find, take a picture of it, ask about it on here, and eventually you'll learn what is probably an error and what isn't.

What don't you like about the guide? I read it when I first started. There is a ton of great information in there.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
buy a REDBOOK, best $15 you will ever spend. PCGS Photograde online to get comfy with grading standards, research types of errors, there are more than you can imagine. buy a digital scale for $10 on ebay or amazon, get a lighted loupe with minimum 20X power and a tripod for your digital camera. look at both sides of every coin--- edge checkers are missing lots of winners!! line up a dump bank with free use of machine and several pickup sources. ---buy coins, ---search them, ---dump them, ---repeat until you are addicted!!!. and don't forget to wash your hands:-))

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I second the motion as to "Buy a RED BOOK" to know what to look for, and what you're looking at, and read & ask questions on this forum. We will help if we can. Good luck & HH.

OP
OP
T

TheGolfGuy

Tenderfoot
Jan 5, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a red book... I should rephrase myself. I'm not new to coin collecting, just new to silver stacking/CRHing! Thanks for the tips guys! This is probably the best CRHing community I have ever seen!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What don't you like about the guide? I read it when I first started. There is a ton of great information in there.

A few things I don't agree with, directly quoted from the Beginners Guide:
- Also look for anything with an "S" mintmark, proof coins can be very lucrative. Just the other day i got a gem BU 1995 proof half; EST: $30.
- I save all pre 1960 nickels, but some people save anything befre 1956.
- Save all 1987 P and D half dollars. They were only made for mint sets. Also, all have dollars dated after 2001 were not made for circulation and are worth keeping.

You find these coins all of the time. Volume hunt for a couple years, saving all of these coins, and then tell me they're worth keeping. They're like the participation ribbons of coin roll hunting.
The Beginners Guide isn't a great starting point. This thread is already better than that one. I think you can narrow down the hobby to a paragraph or two, and it would be many multiples more helpful for new hunters.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things I don't agree with, directly quoted from the Beginners Guide:
- Also look for anything with an "S" mintmark, proof coins can be very lucrative. Just the other day i got a gem BU 1995 proof half; EST: $30.
- I save all pre 1960 nickels, but some people save anything befre 1956.
- Save all 1987 P and D half dollars. They were only made for mint sets. Also, all have dollars dated after 2001 were not made for circulation and are worth keeping.

You find these coins all of the time. Volume hunt for a couple years, saving all of these coins, and then tell me they're worth keeping. They're like the participation ribbons of coin roll hunting.
The Beginners Guide isn't a great starting point. This thread is already better than that one. I think you can narrow down the hobby to a paragraph or two, and it would be many multiples more helpful for new hunters.

Everything you pointed out from the beginners guide is about coin collecting, not coin roll hunting... Or the process to do it. I think there is a difference There is a ton of great info in there on how to find, process, and dump coin.

To each there own on what you want to collect. The guide is meant to help you find what you're looking for... And more importantly how to not get in your own way (dumping where you buy, managing tellers, etc)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the Beginner's Guide was was first started one person was writing it as suggestions were given. That started out great then nothing else was added. After awhile, if I remember correctly other people wanted to add more. I believe it was locked at first and then unlocked to allow them to add suggestions. The problem with that is every Tom, Dick and Harry started adding their opinions of what to look for, kinda throwing the data off. Wikipedia-like now. Most of it is still correct.

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all welcome. Red book is a definite must. Find a good dump bank...I would recommend dimes as you will probably have the best luck there, well and halves. Ask all the tellers if they have any halves or any other "special coins" in their drawers...most important, be patient as you can go through a lot of rolls without getting a thing and then BAM...you get a roll that is solid silver. I have only got the magical and elusive solid silver rolls a few times and they were dimes. I have got a lot of rolls of halves with 4 or 5 silver and lots of enders...I have also(just as recent as last week) gone through $4000 in halves to find NOTHING. Good luck and be sure to look at your profile as you can add all your coin roll finds and last but not least...keep on posting to give all of us hope on those weeks we get skunked!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread