New at coin roll hunting (pennies)

Vintageiceman

Jan 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone has advice on this, it would be great... recently I've started buying penny boxes from my local BB&t bank. The first 2 boxes were good ( getting about 15 wheats per box), but the last 4 boxes I have bought have all been brand new 2015-16 rolls. How can I avoid this without overly harassing the tellers?? Haha

Upvote 0

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Ask them for customer wrapped rolls. Also, do not dump at the same bank your getting the penny's from...for multiple reasons. The biggest one is why would you want to look at the same coins you already went through...

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take those brand new rolls to another bank and trade them for either customer wrap or machine wrap rolls.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone's opinions differ on this, but here's my 2¢; I just take the brand new boxes with a smile, bust them open at home, and return them to the coin counter at my dump bank. I figure if I don't take the new boxes, then they'll just sit at my pick up bank forever and I won't be able to get boxes of old coins as often. Plus, it only takes around 10 minutes to open a full box. Of course, some people seem to actually have luck selling brand new boxes for more than face value, and you could search them for error coins.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Be open & honest with the tellers. Let them know that you are trying to complete your penny folders, and would prefer older looking rolls & not NEW cents. If the boxes you are getting have the holes on top to observe the contents, I just ask "please NO NEW SPARKLERS", but if it's a closed box with no holes then you just take your chances. If you get new rolls then find a bank that accepts customer wrapped rolls. I'm sure they would take your rolls rather than ordering boxes again for their retail customers. Try it.

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
If you are getting full boxes of 2016 cents this early in the year you should be listing one on ebay. I see only one listed and it is for $129. A few years back I lucked into a run of new cents and sold them as sealed boxes on ebay. I believe the most I got was about $200 for a box, after a while others appeared but I sold about ten sealed boxes before the price crashed when someone flooded the market with them. If I stumbled on those this early I'd be hitting every bank around and at least stick a few boxes aside. Cheap investment and easy to hold on to for a while.

Maine_Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread