Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan and I make videos on YouTube. Recently, I have become very interested in this coin roll hunting hobby and I decided to make a video about my first time coin roll hunting. I would love it if you guys would check out my video! Since it's my very first time doing this, I would love it if you all could leave some tips in the comments section. If you like the video and you have a YouTube channel, go ahead and like the video and subscribe if you want to (: I'm hoping to make more coin roll hunting videos in the future; it's so much fun!

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSvmbVuo9Y

Thank you all!

-Ryan

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Tip of the day: KEEP IT OFF U-TUBE, so as not to advertise to the rest of the world what you and all of us CRH's are doing. Just remember, it someone watches U-tube and starts hunting, they may just be taking away what you could have found. Less for you, more for them. KEEP A LOW PROFILE if at all possible, and don't tell your name, phone #, or address. Other than that, welcome to the hobby, and HH(happy hunting).

dantheman2745

Jul 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ditto to what Dozer D said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
#1 Rule of coin roll hunting? SMH, please don't make you tube vids. Just a quick scenario for you, somebody in your town sees your video, decides the next day he is going to go to the same bank that you order coins from and orders a bunch of coins and upsets your bank then gets everyone shut down including you from ordering coins then ends your hobby :BangHead:. Besides the fact that if you show people what you are doing on YouTube which is a much publicized website, unlike this one, for which many people who are not even interested in doing it might see your video and start doing it, then they are taking finds that would have been yours. I have nothing against you or YouTube so please don't take anything that I have said offensively, it is just this is a hard hobby to do as it is without somebody else showing up at my bank who just watched a coin roll hunting video deciding they're going to be rich from doing this and over ordering and getting me shut down.

I actually started doing this hobby because I found a coin roll hunting video on YouTube by mistake, I was actually researching junk metal because I scrap when a junk silver video came up and I saw a guy coin roll hunting and showing how to do it, the very next day I went to the bank and started ordering coins,. Now I am the guy that is taking silver from the other guy that made the video, see how it works?

Now, welcome to the hobby! Good luck in it and I hope your finds are great, and welcome to our forum! HH, maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, and one more thing, you do not and I repeat do not bring your coins back to the bank that you got them from! I read the description on your video where it says once you are done simply bring the coins back to the credit union or bank, No, do not do that please! You would bring those coins to another bank that has not ever seen you before, if you show back up at the same bank that you bought the coins from originally it will upset them guaranteed. I would suggest that you read our coin roll hunting guide at the top of our page for tips on how to do this hobby. HH, maverick.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Maverick,

It has been very interesting to me to read your reactions to my video. So here's the break down.

First of all, I do not anticipate that I will be finding anything of major value while coin roll hunting. I do it on a very small scale and I do not plan on buying boxes of coins anytime soon. For me, the hobby is purchasing whatever loose halves a bank has and maybe picking up a few nickel rolls here and there (I have a thing for nickels). From what I can tell, buying boxes of halves rarely produces anything and results in a major waste of time. It seems like the people that intended to "make money" from coin roll hunting have already done so; the silver has been almost completely depleted from circulation. That being said, I do not believe that this hobby should be taken so seriously! It should be done casually, here and there and in small doses. If you do it on a large scale, then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Second, on the note of bringing the coins back to the same bank, I know that this is not common practice and I would never do this myself. Truthfully, I did not put any extreme amounts of effort into the description of this video because I do not believe that it is going to encourage anyone to start the hobby. I don't have that many subscribers; most of the views on that video come from all of you here.

Now, I do not wish to give this hobby a bad name or challenge any of you. I just wanted to expose more people to my videos. The hope was that after watching my crh video, you might wish to check out some of my other videos which I have put far more time into. Coin roll hunting will remain a casual activity for me and will show up on my channel from time to time, but the real hope is to build a loyal group of subscribers that enjoy my other weekly content. That is all.

-Ryan

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, I rarely post, but I can't emphasize enough how misguided it is to post the video on Youtube. If it is a casual hobby for you, that's fine. But for many on this website, it is a bit more than that, and as stated above, these types of videos can truly have a negative impact on the hobby itself. So I would suggest taking the advice of the hunters on this website and not make these types of videos.

dantheman2745

Jul 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are doing to do the same thing then why ask for advice/comments? I mean this in all respect.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are doing to do the same thing then why ask for advice/comments? I mean this in all respect.

I don't know if you got all the way through the video, but there was a point where I talked about Eisenhower dollars and other dollar coins. I asked some questions about those that still have not been answered or even mentioned...that's what I was most interesting in learning about.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know if you got all the way through the video, but there was a point where I talked about Eisenhower dollars and other dollar coins. I asked some questions about those that still have not been answered or even mentioned...that's what I was most interesting in learning about.

Well, make up your own mind! Are you looking for subscribers or are you asking for help? The people on this site are most often gracious and helpful! For what it's worth, I watched some youtube vids and started CRH. I'm in a very rural area and did OK searching. The questions I asked were generally answered with helpful information and good intention. I can tell you that I got into somebody's territory when I started searching coins. I know because I ended up hiring this person and we both laughed when I told him I bought his dumps. Small town.

Don't be offended. Most everyone here is here to learn and or help or both. But, as Granny said, "hush yo mouth!" otherwise, folks like me in your hometown gonna be selling you their dumps!!

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Most people do not intend on "making money" from CRH. This is a hobby (to some an obsession) the thrill of finding silver is really a rush. As you stated there is not a lot of silver out there. So understand that any YouTube video that attracts more people to the hobby can only make it harder to find that thrill.
I am fairly new to CRH and have really gotten hooked. You asked for comments and I think you can see how the good people here feel about this hobby. Please take there advise and enjoy CRH if you choose but, in a little more discreet way.
Hope you can fill your books up.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, make up your own mind! Are you looking for subscribers or are you asking for help? The people on this site are most often gracious and helpful! For what it's worth, I watched some youtube vids and started CRH. I'm in a very rural area and did OK searching. The questions I asked were generally answered with helpful information and good intention. I can tell you that I got into somebody's territory when I started searching coins. I know because I ended up hiring this person and we both laughed when I told him I bought his dumps. Small town.

Don't be offended. Most everyone here is here to learn and or help or both. But, as Granny said, "hush yo mouth!" otherwise, folks like me in your hometown gonna be selling you their dumps!!

Lol your Granny really said that? (; And I'm doing both! I have interest in both building a community on my youtube channel and learning new things about this hobby.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi Maverick, That being said, I do not believe that this hobby should be taken so seriously! It should be done casually, here and there and in small doses. If you do it on a large scale, then you are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

As I said earlier, please don't be offended by my reply. I and many others do take this hobby seriously, some may not, some may do it recklessly....everyone has free will to do what they like and believe in what they like. I my self have not set my self up for disappointment, in fact have worked very hard for what I have and my finds most certainly reflect that. I supplement my income with this hobby as needed from time to time so someone watching a youtube vid and showing up at one of my branches and wrecking what I have worked very hard to establish is serious to me and has happened to me in the past. You are free to do what you like, I just gave you my opinion and some possibilities that could happen at one of your branches even though you do it casually the next guy that shows up at your branch may not, or be reckless and ruin it for you. Just something to consider, that's all.

To kinda answer your question on the Ikes, no, not all of the 71 to 74 were 40% Silver, there were some years that were made in 40% but I am not really informed on the Ikes well enough to tell you which years those were, there are some other members on here that are way more educated on those than me and may answer that for you. Again, good luck in this hobby and hope you find what you are looking for! HH, Maverick.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but what you're saying is you're not really a crh'er and just made a video to draw attention to your other videos. So why make a video about something you don't really know or care about? That kind of explanation and admission really gives me no faith in any of your other videos.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's very respectable. Thank you for sharing and thank you also for answering my question. Whether or not they're made of silver, I think the ikes are really cool and will probably keep any that I can get a hold of.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but what you're saying is you're not really a crh'er and just made a video to draw attention to your other videos. So why make a video about something you don't really know or care about? That kind of explanation and admission really gives me no faith in any of your other videos.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I am invested in treasure hunting of all forms and I have been ever since I was a kid. I even used to sit at vending machines and put nickels in, then hit the return button until I got an old one. Yes, I am trying to bring some attention to my videos, but that's because I work hard on them. I'm sorry to hear that you don't trust my content, but I'm sure that I will find plenty of people that do.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol your Granny really said that? (; And I'm doing both! I have interest in both building a community on my youtube channel and learning new things about this hobby.

Yes, she really said it. At her funeral the preacher asked for any further words from anyone there. I replied that I'd give anything just to hear her tell me one more time, "If you don't knock that off, I'm gonna thunk yer gourd head." From a crowd of snuffle nosed, teary eyed adults came chuckles and applause! We all loved Gramma. We were all a little scared of her too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread