Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2015 was a really tough first year for me. My van was stolen twice with my minelab safari, and my utility belt with probe, digger etc. an embarrassingly large amount of unsearched half dollars and my home made drumset that was my livelihood for the past decade and a half. I also missed four medium/ big opportunities to get dumped collections, which is what this post is about.
The first was after meeting a regional manager for a popular local bank though work. She said she'd keep me in mind if she saw anything interesting coin wise. I am not allowed to get our client's personal info (phone etc) at work. Next week I heard she had something for me. I assumed it would be something small and not that exciting. I missed her that week and the next week she left a 2013 silver dollar with our receptionist. Mind blown!!! That piqued my interest and I searched high and low for her at the areas banks. Unfortunately I had misunderstood where she was working and went to the banks she had just left for her new job. Everyone knew who I was seeking but not where she was working. I was tempted to get her number from work, but knowing I could be fired if anyone knew I contacted her, II wrung my hands and awaited her next visit to hear the particulars. Three weeks later (after thanking her profusely) I got the story from her directly.
Its the story we all dream about. A disgruntled older man comes in with a shoe box of coins and "just wants to get rid of these things". The tellers urge him to take them to a pawn shop or anywhere else where he will get more than face for them. He is insistent and borrows a pair of scissors from the tellers, cutting meticulously labelled coins of all types and denominations out of their holders and stuffing them into rolls. Out came rolls of halves, quarters, dimes etc . Even Morgans, Peace dollars and recently purchased walking liberty silver dollars are thrown up on the counter in front of wide eyed tellers. My new friend came by and bought one lone walking liberty dollar for me. The rest... One would think a teller would snatch up, call a coin collector like myself,.. but no. Last the regional manager saw they were still in the vault.
I yell over my shoulder to my boss "I am going to lunch" and rushed to the branch.
The tellers tell the story again and I beg them to check the vault for any remainders. Everything had been shipped out. I was not sure if I was going to faint, have an anyeurism or spontaneously combust. My pick up bank uses the same courier in the same area so I doubled my orders and threw in dimes, quarters etc in hopes of catching the dump in a less direct method. It didn't pan out.
Another dump was at a branch where I am friends with the teller and he told me, " man you should have been here last week. We got solid rolls of 64' halves." I asked if I could purchase them but he said " I gave them to the next guy who asked." I don't have an account with them but made sure he had my number in case he saw anything like that again. I was perplexed he didn't keep them because he sometimes keeps stuff but he assured me he didn't take them.
At my pick up bank some good halves and peace dollars surfaced. The peace dollars were quickly divided among the interested tellers but they gave me the 64 and 40 % halves. They were happy to show off the Peace dollars but no one was interested in selling with silver being so low.
Another branch I frequent every other week had a funny / sad story for me. They took in a large dump of silver halves and recognizing them as such they divided them among the interested tellers. One teller will save me her portion or any halves customers bring her and let me buy them at face knowing I'll buy her lunch if anything interesting comes out of it. She dutifully snatched me as many as she could and waited for me to come in (though I had given my number to her repeatedly and to any teller who seems sympathetic to my coin addiction) The person who dumped them must have gotten chewed out for dumping the family silver and came back two days later and, apologizing profusely, reclaimed all the halves.
Its hard to balance how much info you give tellers so they can help (and hopefully not hurt) you. I don't want to get them too involved but just enough so they keep me in mind for anything interesting. I had one lady teller keep telling me about these awesome dollar coins she was hoarding. She has a beautiful $5 dollar gold piece someone cashed at face value so I was taking her seriously and told her I'd give her a fair price for the silver dollars. She brings me a bag of Ikes!!! Yikes. She wasn't laughing as hard as I was. Most tellers that collect just hoard out of principle. I usually carry a few proofs with me to show off as a little lesson in coins and to throw them off of the "s" word. I also have many many banks that I have been to up to thirty times and still have not even gotten a single %40 at. I assume they have their own favorite people that they save them for or that they keep things for themselves. Many love if you come take the other dumper's dumps off their hands. It gets overwhelming because I would blow my budget picking up the dumps. I used to pick them up but I try to feel around to avoid wasting too much time collecting trash. It took some work but last time I was out I managed 2 X90 halfs by taking what was loose and skipping the $500 fed (re)wrapped trash they had in the back. I know, I know take them all... I may have missed something really good but again I am not sure other people on here see the volume of dumps I do.
I also noticed someone had been ordering several boxes of halves to each branch of a popular bank and then never picking them up. They would sit for weeks. Eventually I would budget them in and pick them up cash. Each and every one from that type of bank has been a skunk loaded with marked coins. I wonder if someone was trying to get to the bottom of the pile so to speak and unload their courier's marked up trash and get others to get rid of it. It definitely worked as I had to pass the half buck on those boxes. It hurts CRH if the party that ordered them doesn't pick them up as they will be less likely to order people boxes in the future after such a memorable disaster.
Moral of the story, keep it fun, light and not too much like work. Build good relationships but recognize when others have already beat you to it. I love getting on here and being inspired by you all having success, or just relating to a frustrating encounter. On a slump week it keeps me going. My first three boxes of the year (I do one a week) have been skunks but it is good motivation to change up what I am doing and order from a different bank. Hopefully I'll have something good to post soon!

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool experiences (except the theft losses, not cool).

Not necessarily in your examples, but I'm convinced that a good portion of the time, the "I just sold a bunch of silver coins" line is made up and devised to mess with treasure hunters' heads. I ALWAYS respond with disinterest to those types of statements from tellers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread