How did you all get started CRH?

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll share how I got started.

A little over three years ago I was watching an episode of Storage Wars in which Darrel purchased a storage locker that contained pre 65 quarters.

I ashamed to say that until then I didnt know that there was silver in coinage and it really piqued my interest. After doing some extensive searching on the web about junk silver I was led to this site, CC and Kitco gold forum. That sparked my interest in accumulating precious metals and coin roll hunting.

As they say the rest is history.

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll share how I got started.

A little over three years ago I was watching an episode of Storage Wars in which Darrel purchased a storage locker that contained pre 65 quarters.

I ashamed to say that until then I didnt know that there was silver in coinage and it really piqued my interest. After doing some extensive searching on the web about junk silver I was led to this site, CC and Kitco gold forum. That sparked my interest in accumulating precious metals and coin roll hunting.

As they say the rest is history.

I came to this site to seek information on metal detecting. I was just randomly looking at the other forums and stumbled on the CRH forum. The rest is history and I am still going strong after 2 years

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol, this is a good thread to start now haha. So some 5 years ago I got into scrapping metal and such because it was very lucrative, I was on YouTube doing some research for junk metal when I saw a video down below that said hunting for junk silver or something like that. So I clicked on it and watched a guy pulling silver half dollars out of a box of half dollars he had ordered from the bank, I was amazed as I watched it! I set the rest of that night and must have watched almost every video about coin roll hunting that I could find on youtube ( which at that time was not alot), I got up the next morning went straight to my bank and talk to them about ordering boxes of half dollars and that is pretty much how I got started in this hobby. HH, Maverick.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got an Ike dollar and began looking up values, saw that some were silver, began looking into other silver coins, found the hobby through Googling.

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I coin rolled hunted as kid, in the 70's. I remember riding my bike up to the bank and buying $20 in pennies. I probably did this ten times or so looking for coins to fill my Whitman album. Seven years ago I found a 1939 nickle in change. I searched on line to find the value. I believe I stumbled across this site. My son Tanner was also in scouts at the time and coin collecting was an activity they encouraged. We searched pennies and nickles for a while and then bought our first box of halves. My wife could not believe I was wasting our time because banks would not be stupid enough not to take out the silver coins.

In the first box we found a couple of 40% and 2 Walkers. We have been hooked ever since. (Tanners interest has diminished somewhat since he discovered girls).

It has been a good hobby. It is just to bad we did not sell at $49 per oz.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Some of our highlights:
finding a solid roll of Indian Head pennies, with 53 coins
finding a solid roll of halves, then crossing the street to another bank and scoring a Peace Dollar.
finding 63 silver halves at a tiny bank in Northern, MI
getting a 40% half in change
finding a buffalo nickle in a roll of pennies.
and of course the "Wheat Wars"

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking up the value of some coins my dad gave me and an add popped up that said "learn the 5 magic words to get free silver from your bank" it wanted you to subscribe to their newsletter and they would tell you. I didnt do that but I did some more research and discovered CRH.

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I got interested at my retail job running a cash register. I found a 1937 buffalo nickel in my drawer, and I started researching. I then bought some folders in hopes of buying the coins, and slowly started finding others from circulation (from work and from going to the bank). My first half dollar find was a 1968-S 40% silver proof half from a teller tray, and things just snow balled from there.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thread :thumbsup:

I had started metal detecting and was having a difficult time distinguishing signals. I you tube'd how to find silver metal detecting and yup.... You guessed it, how to find silver coin roll hunting popped up. I went to the bank the next day, $20 - 2 rolls later and I had a '64 silver half. Hook line and sinker

A few days ago a new member tried to get people on here to subscribe to his you tube channel on his crh video and all hell broke loose. I'm glad i found the video a few years back, but I totally understand now about keeping it low key. if you're interested in any sort of treasure hunting, it's virtually impossible to not stumble across crh now

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was looking up the value of some coins my dad gave me and an add popped up that said "learn the 5 magic words to get free silver from your bank" it wanted you to subscribe to their newsletter and they would tell you. I didnt do that but I did some more research and discovered CRH.

Ah yes, the 5 magic words to Silver lol, I couldn't stand that guy :BangHead:! Thank god he kinda faded fast :laughing7:, but he did his damage none the less. HH, Maverick.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother has been collecting coins and buying silver for a few years. We vacationed together last year and talked about the subject. When I got home I bought a red book and looked through every coin in the house. Then bought my first ounce of silver. Then stumbled upon this site via our friend Google. Now here I am.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I was already metal detecting and coin collecting as a youngster in the early 1970's. When the full-page 'SELL YOUR SILVER AND GOLD' ads started popping up around 1979 in the newspaper, (thanks to the Hunt Bros), it peaked my interest. I already knew about pre-'65 silver coinage, and naturally had bought coin rolls from the bank to search for wheats and silver.

I was not too successful as there were many people with the same idea back in the late '70's. The recession put many folks out of work, and that created many roll hunters looking for a quick buck. I didn't find much silver, not like I did in the 2007-2010 era, wow!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was perusing metal detecting forums and stumbled onto this forum. I had heard of CRH before, but some of the finds people were posting just blew me away and I had to give it a try.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back when I was a kid in the 90's, my grandfather and I used to collect coins together, go metal detecting, go to coin shows, go to swap meets and treasure hunt in thrift stores, CRH, etc.

Then I became a teen and was more into hanging out with my friends and chasing skirts.

Fast forward to 2011 or 2012ish, my grandfather was tight on money and was trying to piece out his coin collection. So I offered to take him around to see what his collection was worth. Once he got an appraisal he was happy with, I rounded up and bought it all from him.

That's what got me back into coins. And once I was back into collecting coins, I got back into hunting coin rolls.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a scavenger by nature. Growing up in the western USA I collected antlers and sold them for fun money. I did very well at this and have (literally) a ton of antlers stashed at my parent's house. Anyway, I was a fairly unsuccessful (kept the wrong coins) coin collector as a kid in the 80's, then forgot about coins when my hormones kicked in, went to college, got a good job, married, had kids (proud to say I'm still married and we're still raising our kids), picked up a metal detector a few years ago, browsed YouTube and discovered CRHing. My first 6 months of searching halves was fruitful, but since then too many other hunters have come along and not enough silver has come into the system to make CRHing worth my time because I still have a good job. Though I enjoy CRHing (scavenger and gambler mentality) I buy my silver now.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my cousin pushed me in to it. It took a year before I tried it. I got hooked right a way.

S

stefen

How did I get started CRH?

Well it's no mystery, I parked my car in the banks parking lot...

The rest is history...:laughing7::laughing7:

Last edited:

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I collected wheats as a young kid around the 1999-2000 mark. (I'm only 22 heheh) There was just something fascinating about holding old wheats in my hand from so long ago. I was never a collector per se and all I cared about where old wheats, but I lost interest I guess. Fast forward to 2013. Got a job on the register at walmart. First month or so I thought nothing of coins, but I started seeing wheats again and remembered that "section" of my childhood. I started keeping them, and it snowballed from there. I was thinking to myself one day of "how am I going to go about getting more stuff besides register searching? " and then I got the idea of getting rolls from banks and thought I was a legit genius until I saw it had been done for many years now. Regardless I invested in a solid bankroll of several hundred dollars and got into collecting wheats, buffalos in such from bank rolls. First silver I ever found was a a war nickel. I was ecstatic.

Last edited:

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a 1964 quarter back in change from a vending machine. I noticed it sounded different when it jingled in my hand. Google lead me to CRH.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my older brothers, who passed away almost 6 years ago, had a tin of wheat pennies. When I was home sick from school he'd dump those pennies out on the coffee table and we would play with my matchbox cars in them. I managed to save that tin of pennies and one day I was looking at them and my daughter started telling me that pennies made before 1982 were made with copper. I started looking up info and I found all those same videos and this site. I also made the mistake of taking coins to a buy it now place and realized how much they screwed me. So I started stacking. I brought my dads collection and now I'm getting into buy some smaller collection. Tried to get my kids involved but they have other, better things to do. Because of threads like this is why I've thanked all of you on one of my post, stories like this make it fun and not about money or profit.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I have been metal detecting for years, and would be estatic when i found a silver coin. I think it was about 2008 I found this site hunting through the forum in the metal detecting section and stumbled here. Started buying just loose halves from any number of banks as we were living full time in our RV and traveling the USA. Once we stopped traveling and bought a home, I went head long into buying boxes of halves. Really wish i had know about CRH back before I sold my business when money was more plentiful and would have purchased a lot more boxes, but life is good and I'm happy to be able to buy a couple boxes per week now. I rarely tell anyone about my "secret hobby" trying to keep the others from getting in :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread