who so many war and buffalo nickels???

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been CRHing for about 18 months. i've settled on nickels after getting skunked time after time on the dime, quarter and half boxes(just as an aside.....I have no idea how some people on here can claim to average a silver dime per box!!!). I enjoy hunting the nickels because you can almost always count on finding at least one silver or buffalo in a box. I was wondering....does anybody have a theory as to why the nickel boxes are so consistent producers???? Kind regards, 7up

Upvote 0
S

stefen

Probably because of the quantity produced...and few people hunt nickels because only war nickels were silver...

A lot of work for so little results.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm just going to take a wild guess....Most people know or can tell a silver dime ,quarter ,half, when they are handling change or rolling their coins.From a quick look at the rim or sound. Unless your into coins or CRH, not many people even know about silver nickels That's just my guess.:dontknow: The buffalo's? I have no idea! Maybe your just in a good area where older people are dumping their change jars.:dontknow:

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably because of the quantity produced...and few people hunt nickels because only war nickels were silver...

A lot of work for so little results.

Little results? You gotta be kidding me. I've figured out how to make money off the nickels I find. As a result I make 5-10 times more profit on the nickel boxes than I have on ANY of the dime, quarter, and half boxes I've searched. I've had a 20 dime box skunk streak. And i'm currently on a 30 quarter box skunk streak---talk about a lot of work! Admittedly, there are differences between regions. I'm in Southern Arizona which does not produce a lot of silver(for some reason). Other areas of the country seem to produce a lot better. HH everyone.

yvairguy

Greenie
Jan 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The majority of coins that make it back into circulation are the larger valued coins.... things are so bad people are starting to roll their nickles... :laughing11:

I ordered nickles for awhile but lots of work for little return. However if they are customer rolled nickels I will take all those I can find. I have on several occasions opened full rolls of buffs and war nickles.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have it "easy" when comparing to Canadian coins. We can't simply tell the difference from the rims (usually). It has been a 31 box haul since 2015 until now, and have only found 1 single silver and it was a non magnetic 50% from 1968... I can't even seem to get much in the way of errors... Maybe it's my region as well...

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The majority of coins that make it back into circulation are the larger valued coins.... things are so bad people are starting to roll their nickles... :laughing11:

I ordered nickles for awhile but lots of work for little return. However if they are customer rolled nickels I will take all those I can find. I have on several occasions opened full rolls of buffs and war nickles.

Bottom line...we CRH to make money(and, yes, it is a fun hobby). I make consistent PROFIT off the nickel boxes I search. Searching dime, quarter, and half boxes are just a waste of time for me, mostly. I will continue to search the nickel boxes. If dimes and halves produce in your area then more power to you. 7up.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line...we CRH to make money(and, yes, it is a fun hobby). I make consistent PROFIT off the nickel boxes I search. Searching dime, quarter, and half boxes are just a waste of time for me, mostly. I will continue to search the nickel boxes. If dimes and halves produce in your area then more power to you. 7up.

You may CRH to make money, but that statement isn't true for everyone. I have been CRH for over two years and I have not sold a single coin. I mostly CRH dimes and Pennies. I will occasionally do nickels when I want to change it up. Im pretty sure searching quarters anywhere in the US is a waste of time. I have much better luck finding silver quarters in coinstar return slots.

How are you making a constant profit on nickels? I am just interested in how you do it. Do you sell on eBay? Craigslist? and what coins are selling the best for you?

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels just aren't fun to me. I'll pick up a box maybe once a month, when I can't get dimes or halves.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... I'm in Southern Arizona which does not produce a lot of silver(for some reason)...

There have been unconfirmed reports that SoAZ is being cleaned of Ag at the source.

Ppl have claimed that the main Coin Terminal has an advanced counting/sorting/rolling process that rejects foreign coins (and US silver coins as a side effect). That could explain the dry-ness of halves, dimes, qtrs. The inductive signature of a 90% Ag dime or qtr is very different from a clad and would be rejected as foreign. Nickels are a different story! The inductive signature of a war-time Jefferson Nickel is identical to a CuproNi Jefferson. That is was done on purpose and is why the war-time nickel is such an exotic alloy (containing manganese).

If there truly were such a system in use in AZ, war nickels would be the only silver alloy US coins that would slip through. 90% and 40% would be rejected as foreign.

Jack_MIghtyheart

Aug 5, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm also interested in how you're making money off nickels. I search halves for silver but nickels are definitely my favorite. I save all my pre60s, but haven't really found a way to sell them so they just stack up. Do you sell individual coins or do you put together full rolls of certain dates, or sets of date ranges? I'd love to be able to offload some of what I have for profit.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There have been unconfirmed reports that SoAZ is being cleaned of Ag at the source.

Ppl have claimed that the main Coin Terminal has an advanced counting/sorting/rolling process that rejects foreign coins (and US silver coins as a side effect). That could explain the dry-ness of halves, dimes, qtrs. The inductive signature of a 90% Ag dime or qtr is very different from a clad and would be rejected as foreign. Nickels are a different story! The inductive signature of a war-time Jefferson Nickel is identical to a CuproNi Jefferson. That is was done on purpose and is why the war-time nickel is such an exotic alloy (containing manganese).

If there truly were such a system in use in AZ, war nickels would be the only silver alloy US coins that would slip through. 90% and 40% would be rejected as foreign.

I believe LooseChange has hit it on the head. I always SUSPECTED the silver was being purged(and I've brought that up on a previous post). So, bottom line, here in Southern Arizona nickels is really the only way to go. It's fun, I enjoy it, it keeps me busy, and I can make a decent profit for my time invested. What more can you ask for from a hobby???? And for those fishing for how I make my profit....pm me

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe LooseChange has hit it on the head. I always SUSPECTED the silver was being purged(and I've brought that up on a previous post). So, bottom line, here in Southern Arizona nickels is really the only way to go. It's fun, I enjoy it, it keeps me busy, and I can make a decent profit for my time invested. What more can you ask for from a hobby???? And for those fishing for how I make my profit....pm me

Still waiting to hear how your making a profit on nickels?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"why so many war and buffalo nickels?" Champagne problems my friend......

Agree. I attempted to search nickels and they just didn't produce. ~25 boxes produced 16 silvers, but no buffaloes, V's, or even semi-key dates.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree. I attempted to search nickels and they just didn't produce. ~25 boxes produced 16 silvers, but no buffaloes, V's, or even semi-key dates.

I've searched maybe 60 nickel boxes and found 3 V-nickels, and MANY buffaloes and War nickels. I've had about 5 skunk boxes. But, I'm sure I average more than 1 buffalo/war nickel per box. To your point, I've noticed it is streaky....i'll go through a streak where I find buffalos but no war nickels...then just the opposite happens: I'll find war nickels but no buffalos. it's funny that way. I've filled 2 Whitman nickel folders and am working on 3, 4, and 5 which are close to completion. 7up.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've never found a silver quarter in a coinstar. I have found 4 silver quarters metal detecting, including a Barber and an SLQ.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread