Dump Bank Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to share with you my dump bank experience today. I dump at this bank frequently but not in large quantities. The reason why I dump here so lightly was because one of the original head tellers a while ago gave me a Franklin Half Dollar long ago for face value. She was super nice and so I promised her I would never dump more than two bags there a week. Of course, she retired. I liked going there because they would just give me cash on the spot for the bags of coins I turn in. I and the bank have never had issue with the coins I dump here. I'm always accurate with what I bring in.

Now, they changed the rules with the new regime that is the same as other banks. No more getting cash on the spot for what I bring in. They have to do a deposit first and a withdraw from my account for cash. The deposit would take a week to process. Oh well, the benefits for coming in for exchanging fast cash and dumping lightly are gone.

I always ask for the old portrait design bills when I get cash. A month ago, the teller showed me she had a 1934 $100 but refused to give it to me. The only reason why she showed it to me was because I asked for older bills. I thought at the time, this is my dump bank for coins and they give me cash on the spot which is a benefit. No paper trail on my end but the policies have changed. I know that old currencies have little value but I think they're still cool and a 1934 bill has some value over face. I just would like to build a currency collection just from going to banks despite knowing they are mostly not worth much.

Fast forward to today, I asked for old portrait bills and this other teller starts to pull them out. She had a few $100's. But midway, she stopped and pulled one of them back. I could tell from the light green serial numbers and font that it was probably a 1934 $100. I told her to give it to me. She came up with the excuse that she's saving it for someone else since that person said he wanted that specific bill. I said that the person should've gotten it that day. I found her actions hard to believe and I think she was lying. She changed her description of who the guy was that was asking her to save older bills half way in our conversation. She swore that she would save them for me next time. I doubt it since the other teller who was working right beside her was the same one that showed me her 1934 $100 bill a month ago. People talk at banks especially when there's down time.

I thought about complaining to their manager because they shouldn't be doing coin or currency collecting on the job. My take is that if they're going to keep stuff for themselves, don't show it to the customers. What I don't see, I can't ask for. I told the teller that I've been nice to them by not dumping so hard on them in the past but I'm really considering changing my mind. I've been nice to them in the past and other tellers in the past have thanked me for not bringing in too much coin since it's pretty much all women that work as tellers and they hate having to carry heavy bags of coins. Since all the benefits of dumping lightly there are gone, I'm seriously considering using them as a primary dump bank since it is closer to my residence anyhow. I could do a large order and dump there all at once. LOL

When the female tellers start moaning about the coins I bring in, I could just say, "you can thank teller XXXY because she was doing personal money collecting on the job and would've give me what I asked for". LOL. I doubt by me saying that it would change anything there in terms of them holding onto older bills for me but I think people would get angry at that teller behind the scenes.

Just wanted to see what other folk's experiences are and whether a strategy like this or any other strategy can work to persuade them to not allow their employees to withhold coins or currency from customers. Just wanted to see how people's use of banks to dump on have been sweet revenge on an unhelpful teller. If this works at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
This is the craziest crap I've ever read. Maybe there's something in the California water that turns you into a complete horses ass? Someone ought to find your parents and ***** slap them upside the head for raising such an inconsiderate, egocentric, mind blowingly douchey child. Every single one of your posts made me cringe; I didn't think people really acted like that.

LOL. Acted like what? I hadn't done anything yet. Just here to vent and discuss all the possibilites of what I could do. Just thinking out loud. Let's face it, we've all had temptations in life. Please read carefully before jumping to insults. Love the hypocrisy here. Just blatantly rip on people from CA for no real good reason. What's CA got to do with any of it? Am I gonna start slamming UT's water and what it's doing to you? Sorry but gonna have to take the high road there. Perhaps the moderators should read your post. LOL.

I've already been nice to this branch by only dumping limited amounts. "Inconsiderate?" How many commenters here are actually buying their banks Costco Pizzas? Probably can count less a handful if that. How many commenters actually buy their dump branches gifts? Probably even less to none. As far as I know, I am the only CRHer ever in my whole area to bring gifts for the banks, PERIOD. I know this because they tell me I'm the only CRHer that brings them gifts. Who's inconsiderate? LOL

Seemed like too many people here like to jump to wild generalizations without reading thoroughly first and get caught up in the crowd mentality.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 150+ K in the account. I doubt they would close it because of the fact that I complain to branch manager that a teller was collecting while doing a transaction with me.

You piss off the right people and see what happens. That 150k is just a drop in the bucket when you compare how much money eyes hat bank has. They wouldn't miss you.

It sounds like you need some perspective in your life. Be thankful for what you have and stop peeing in everyone else's cheerios. She didn't refuse to give you your money. She just chose to give you brand new 100 dollar bills. She did NOTHING wrong. All you are going to be doing is making an unnecessary enemy of the teller.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL. Acted like what? I hadn't done anything yet. Just here to vent and discuss all the possibilites of what I could do. Please read carefully before jumping to insults.

It's insulting to me that you would even think that your behavior is even slightly ok. I know your just thinking about it. But I hope that by all the negative comments you received that you see just how in the wrong you are. The teller is allowed to do whatever she wants. Bottom line is that she gave you the cash you wanted, therefore she DID her job. You have no complaints and I hope when you talk to the manager he or she laughs in your face.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have $150k in your "business account" yet are upset over a bill they you could go on to ebay right now and buy for $20-30 over face value with free shipping or you could wait for an auction and get it for as low as $11.50 over face value, maybe less????? This is one of the most ridiculous threads on this forum I have seen in quite some time. These types of actions and behaviors give the entire hobby and its members a black eye. This kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. What are you going to do, try to get the $11/hr teller fired over this? This is going to end badly for you if karma has it's say.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just wow.

All I am going to say on this issue is that SFBayArea is acting more like a child than as an adult here. So what if you didn't get the bill? You already said it wasn't worth much, so why are you plotting all these actions against a teller who did her job? You were owed nothing in this case. You're still owed nothing, so why are you pitching a fit?

I have an idea...drop your attitude of entitlement, suck it up and move on. It doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank, because that money does not give you special rights. Learn that.

People with attitudes like yours are what ruins things for coin and bill hunters.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We all have allegiances weather we want to or not. The tellers have a life and their own allegiances, who are you to expect to become number 1 instantly? You are a total stranger to her. Relationship/allegiances are earned and built.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
You have $150k in your "business account" yet are upset over a bill they you could go on to ebay right now and buy for $20-30 over face value with free shipping or you could wait for an auction and get it for as low as $11.50 over face value, maybe less????? This is one of the most ridiculous threads on this forum I have seen in quite some time. These types of actions and behaviors give the entire hobby and its members a black eye. This kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME. What are you going to do, try to get the $11/hr teller fired over this? This is going to end badly for you if karma has it's say.

I just never get any old bills like that from circulation. It's more difficult to obtain out in the wild than CRHing due to easy culls from tellers. Finding silver is more predictable than old bills out in the wild. Did I say I was gonna get that teller fired? My point was to talk to the manager and inform them that the teller should not be doing personal collecting in the middle of a transaction with customers.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
We all have allegiances weather we want to or not. The tellers have a life and their own allegiances, who are you to expect to become number 1 instantly? You are a total stranger to her. Relationship/allegiances are earned and built.

True. Never expected to be number #1. My whole point is that she should not be culling in the middle of a transaction with customer.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My point was to talk to the manager and inform them that the teller should not be doing personal collecting in the middle of a transaction with customers.

It is not your place to be telling a manager or anyone at that bank what they should or should not be doing. You are not their boss.

Really, get over yourself.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
honesty, what the teller did was a dick move... From the way SFBAYArea, was telling it. they were searching for older bills for him. When they found one and noticed it was much olderrr, they kept it for themselves on the spot. If you as a teller collect what ever while at work, do it when there is a down time. Look through your coins and bills put them aside, so no one else knows you have them. It would be on the same level, as if a teller needs quarters when you are cashing out $XX.75 they open a MWR of quarter and theyre all silver. Teller notices it, and then say "Oh im sorry, Im saving these for someone else, I will need to get another roll". How ever SFBayArea, I do believe you should not seek out revenge or such. Complaint to the teller on the spot was the most i would have done and told her/him if, you were saving those bills for someone else. Keep them aside or in a envelope.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Just wow.

All I am going to say on this issue is that SFBayArea is acting more like a child than as an adult here. So what if you didn't get the bill? You already said it wasn't worth much, so why are you plotting all these actions against a teller who did her job? You were owed nothing in this case. You're still owed nothing, so why are you pitching a fit?

I have an idea...drop your attitude of entitlement, suck it up and move on. It doesn't matter how much money you have in the bank, because that money does not give you special rights. Learn that.

People with attitudes like yours are what ruins things for coin and bill hunters.

Hmmm
How is personal collecting in the middle of a transaction doing her job? I think what got me and sent me over the edge was what I perceived as her lying to me. I simply despise liars. My dad told the story of the boy who cried "wolf" as a kid and it always stuck with me.

I am not entitled to anything other than promised banking services through my contract with bank. I have an issue with the teller doing her own currency searching during the transaction. The reason I mentioned my figure was because others here mention how easily they can close my account without reason or notice and another forum member posted what he had in his. Otherwise it would never have been brought up.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The teller gets to choose to either fully accommodate your request, completely deny your request, or anything in between. Complaining about what the teller chooses just hurts your relationship with the bank and hurts the hobby in general.

Quietly retaliating for the perceived "disrespect" might briefly ease your pain, but will not get you closer to your prize collectible. Brazen retaliation such as announcing that you are purposely being a PIA with dumps because of teller named xyz not providing you with a specific bill is even farther from anything that might help you with your hobby.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
True. Never expected to be number #1. My whole point is that she should not be culling in the middle of a transaction with customer.

Here's an idea. Forget your expectations. Everything the banks do for us as roll/bill hunters are favors on borrowed time. Enjoy it when it works out. Move on when it doesn't work out. You didn't miss a huge score. You might have gained something even more important - a higher-volume dump bank - if you don't blow it.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
honesty, what the teller did was a dick move... From the way SFBAYArea, was telling it. they were searching for older bills for him. When they found one and noticed it was much olderrr, they kept it for themselves on the spot. If you as a teller collect what ever while at work, do it when there is a down time. Look through your coins and bills put them aside, so no one else knows you have them. It would be on the same level, as if a teller needs quarters when you are cashing out $XX.75 they open a MWR of quarter and theyre all silver. Teller notices it, and then say "Oh im sorry, Im saving these for someone else, I will need to get another roll". How ever SFBayArea, I do believe you should not seek out revenge or such. Complaint to the teller on the spot was the most i would have done and told her/him if, you were saving those bills for someone else. Keep them aside or in a envelope.

Liu21, I respect your sensible opinion here and not jump to conclusions like others have. I work in the Public Safety arena. My personal experience with others is that if people don't learn a lesson from what they are doing wrong, they get away with it, they will do it again and push the envelope until they get caught. (Ever notice the dumb bank robbers that get caught are the ones that keep doing it?) This teller could do this to another CRH customer, get them angry over her searching on the job. It's noteworthy to inform the manager to let her know that the teller should not be searching during a transaction. I don't see how the manager can even get mad at me for mentioning that. As mentioned, I was going to inform her that if the teller want to search, they do it out of sight and out of mind.

How many of you guys see others running personal errands on the job and think negatively of them? If no one speaks up, they'll keep doing it. I know it happens frequently but I'm sure it's not appropriate for the job. I know that others don't have the same desire as I do but I grew up watching lots of westerns and cop dramas. I really enjoy setting wrongs to right. That's what I enjoy out of life. People need to be accountable for their actions and need to be brought to justice. So to speak.

Last edited:

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hmmm
How is personal collecting in the middle of a transaction doing her job? I think what got me and sent me over the edge was what I perceived as her lying to me. I simply despise liars. My dad told the story of the boy who cried "wolf" as a kid and it always stuck with me.

You don't know if she was lying or not. It's very presumptuous of you to assume she was.

Either way, she doesn't have to accommodate your request for older currency. Banks are there to supply customers with coins, bills, etc., and that's it as far as it goes. They are NOT required to give you older, collectible stuff. She's doing you a favor by holding back older currency, so if she wants a bill, she can have a bill. You do not have a right to any of it.

I am not entitled to anything other than promised banking services through my contract with bank.

If you know this, then why are you whining?

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My personal experience with others is that if people don't learn a lesson from what they are doing wrong, they get away with it, they will do it again and push the envelope until they get caught. (Ever notice the dumb bank robbers that get caught are the ones that keep doing it?) This teller could this to another CRH customer, get them angry over her searching on the job.

There's your fatal mistake. That teller is doing nothing wrong. The only "wrong" is what you perceive.

It's noteworthy to inform the manager to let her know that the teller should not be searching during a transaction. I don't see how the manager can even get mad at me for mentioning that. As mentioned, I was going to inform her that if the teller want to search, they do it out of sight and out of mind.

Great...get a teller in trouble because she didn't cater to your whim, especially since she's not even obligated to do it. Entitlement, much? Also...again...it's not your place to tell the bank personnel what they should or should not be doing.

How many of you guys see others running personal errands on the job and think negatively of them?

I don't, because what the employee does is between them and their employer.

I really enjoy setting wrongs to right. People need to be accountable for their actions and need to be brought to justice. So to speak.

This last bit just takes the cake! There are no wrongs to be righted and there certainly is no justice to be brought. It's pretty sad that you are so wrapped up into yourself that you even think this way.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liu21, I respect your sensible opinion here and not jump to conclusions like others have. I work in the Public Safety arena. My personal experience with others is that if people don't learn a lesson from what they are doing wrong, they get away with it, they will do it again and push the envelope until they get caught. (Ever notice the dumb bank robbers that get caught are the ones that keep doing it?) This teller could do this to another CRH customer, get them angry over her searching on the job. It's noteworthy to inform the manager to let her know that the teller should not be searching during a transaction. I don't see how the manager can even get mad at me for mentioning that. As mentioned, I was going to inform her that if the teller want to search, they do it out of sight and out of mind.

How many of you guys see others running personal errands on the job and think negatively of them? If no one speaks up, they'll keep doing it. I know it happens frequently but I'm sure it's not appropriate for the job. I know that others don't have the same desire as I do but I grew up watching lots of westerns and cop dramas. I really enjoy setting wrongs to right. That's what I enjoy out of life. People need to be accountable for their actions and need to be brought to justice. So to speak.

I think you need to take a deep hard look at yourself. The bank teller did nothing wrong. She was not collecting on the job. All she did was refuse to give you an older bill. She still have you a newer bill. You are not saving anybody by talking to her manager. You are just being an indecent human being. Take your 150k and go buy the bill on ebay. Then we can put this ridiculous thread to rest.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The teller gets to choose to either fully accommodate your request, completely deny your request, or anything in between. Complaining about what the teller chooses just hurts your relationship with the bank and hurts the hobby in general.

Quietly retaliating for the perceived "disrespect" might briefly ease your pain, but will not get you closer to your prize collectible. Brazen retaliation such as announcing that you are purposely being a PIA with dumps because of teller named xyz not providing you with a specific bill is even farther from anything that might help you with your hobby.

As mentioned before, I expect that tellers do culling on their own. I've been doing CRHing for a long long time. Me reporting the issue to management will have little or no effect on the hobby. If anything, it will make the hobby better so that the teller doesn't do it to another CRHer.

I've come to the conclusion that I will talk to the branch manager. However, I will hold off on the dumping part. May increase it slightly for other reasons (ie the branch being closer to my residence) but will not do a mega dump there. Just wanted to hear opinions here before I make the move. After all that's what the forum is about.

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but reading back over the thread, this little gem jumped out at me...

I'm just about being fair. That move by the teller wasn't fair. Perhaps, it might be better for me to speak to her branch manager about it. I don't expect that teller to save me any old bills anyhow. I could mention to the branch manager that I've been super nice about not dump a lot there but that could change especially when tellers are wasting time and getting into arguments with customers about conducting personal hobbies at work.

Number one, life isn't fair.

Number two, your little bit about dumping is a thinly-veiled threat...i.e., accommodate my whims or I am going to be a real pain in the butt by dumping a bunch of coin on you.

How old are you again?

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To quote Walt Kelly "We have seen the enemy and he is us".

Most likely they wont dump you with your business account but you are doing anyone else a favor that may want to dump or pickup there.

Like Mrrogers alluded too, the fair left town in August. Life isnt fair, if it were money would still silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions