Dump Bank Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to share with you my dump bank experience today. I dump at this bank frequently but not in large quantities. The reason why I dump here so lightly was because one of the original head tellers a while ago gave me a Franklin Half Dollar long ago for face value. She was super nice and so I promised her I would never dump more than two bags there a week. Of course, she retired. I liked going there because they would just give me cash on the spot for the bags of coins I turn in. I and the bank have never had issue with the coins I dump here. I'm always accurate with what I bring in.

Now, they changed the rules with the new regime that is the same as other banks. No more getting cash on the spot for what I bring in. They have to do a deposit first and a withdraw from my account for cash. The deposit would take a week to process. Oh well, the benefits for coming in for exchanging fast cash and dumping lightly are gone.

I always ask for the old portrait design bills when I get cash. A month ago, the teller showed me she had a 1934 $100 but refused to give it to me. The only reason why she showed it to me was because I asked for older bills. I thought at the time, this is my dump bank for coins and they give me cash on the spot which is a benefit. No paper trail on my end but the policies have changed. I know that old currencies have little value but I think they're still cool and a 1934 bill has some value over face. I just would like to build a currency collection just from going to banks despite knowing they are mostly not worth much.

Fast forward to today, I asked for old portrait bills and this other teller starts to pull them out. She had a few $100's. But midway, she stopped and pulled one of them back. I could tell from the light green serial numbers and font that it was probably a 1934 $100. I told her to give it to me. She came up with the excuse that she's saving it for someone else since that person said he wanted that specific bill. I said that the person should've gotten it that day. I found her actions hard to believe and I think she was lying. She changed her description of who the guy was that was asking her to save older bills half way in our conversation. She swore that she would save them for me next time. I doubt it since the other teller who was working right beside her was the same one that showed me her 1934 $100 bill a month ago. People talk at banks especially when there's down time.

I thought about complaining to their manager because they shouldn't be doing coin or currency collecting on the job. My take is that if they're going to keep stuff for themselves, don't show it to the customers. What I don't see, I can't ask for. I told the teller that I've been nice to them by not dumping so hard on them in the past but I'm really considering changing my mind. I've been nice to them in the past and other tellers in the past have thanked me for not bringing in too much coin since it's pretty much all women that work as tellers and they hate having to carry heavy bags of coins. Since all the benefits of dumping lightly there are gone, I'm seriously considering using them as a primary dump bank since it is closer to my residence anyhow. I could do a large order and dump there all at once. LOL

When the female tellers start moaning about the coins I bring in, I could just say, "you can thank teller XXXY because she was doing personal money collecting on the job and would've give me what I asked for". LOL. I doubt by me saying that it would change anything there in terms of them holding onto older bills for me but I think people would get angry at that teller behind the scenes.

Just wanted to see what other folk's experiences are and whether a strategy like this or any other strategy can work to persuade them to not allow their employees to withhold coins or currency from customers. Just wanted to see how people's use of banks to dump on have been sweet revenge on an unhelpful teller. If this works at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I don't know if you understand that somethings are worth acquiring because it's difficult and that it's a challenge. I've never gotten any bills that old. Of course, it's easy to buy a bill on Feebay. It's also easy to buy silver on Feebay. Then why are you here and still doing CRHing? The challenge of getting something difficult to obtain is more thrilling. Getting a 1934 series bill in circulation is a lot tougher than getting a 90%er.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Great. Potentially endanger a person's job because she didn't satisfy your whims. Class act, you are.

Oh well, someone's got to learn a lesson. What the branch manager does is up to the branch manager. I just report it. Just as writing someone a ticket, whether they appeal it and win, it's up to the judge. I'm sure the teller will learn a lesson either way.

The problem with society nowadays, is that people are not held accountable for their actions. Just like they had some so called protesters on the bay bridge recently that tied up traffic for tons of people. The protesters were arrested but ultimately the dumb prosecuters declined to prosecute them. What example does that give? I'm sure they'll be planning to protest again in the future.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned before, I expect that tellers do culling on their own. I've been doing CRHing for a long long time. Me reporting the issue to management will have little or no effect on the hobby. If anything, it will make the hobby better so that the teller doesn't do it to another CRHer.

I've come to the conclusion that I will talk to the branch manager. However, I will hold off on the dumping part. May increase it slightly for other reasons (ie the branch being closer to my residence) but will not do a mega dump there. Just wanted to hear opinions here before I make the move. After all that's what the forum is about.

So your just going to ignore what everyone her is saying? Enjoy what karma has coming your way. Your not doing anything but hurting CRH by talking to a manager.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh well, someone's got to learn a lesson. What the branch manager does is up to the branch manager. I just report it. Just as writing someone a ticket, whether they appeal it and win, it's up to the judge. I'm sure the teller will learn a lesson either way.

That person is YOU!

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sorry, but reading back over the thread, this little gem jumped out at me...

Number one, life isn't fair.

Number two, your little bit about dumping is a thinly-veiled threat...i.e., accommodate my whims or I am going to be a real pain in the butt by dumping a bunch of coin on you.

How old are you again?

LOL Of course life isn't fair. But then again, nothing wrong with trying to make it fair either. Otherwise they shouldn't be teaching it in schools. How old am I? Old enough to be doing CRHing a lot longer than you have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
That person is YOU!

LOL.. will keep you posted. I've been at this game for a long long time. It's not going to effect my or anyone else's CRHing at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
So your just going to ignore what everyone her is saying? Enjoy what karma has coming your way. Your not doing anything but hurting CRH by talking to a manager.

Tell me how it will hurt CRHing? You're gonna have to think awhile and really use your imagination. LOL

Last edited:

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know if you understand that somethings are worth acquiring because it's difficult and that it's a challenge. I've never gotten any bills that old. Of course, it's easy to buy a bill on Feebay. It's also easy to buy silver on Feebay. Then why are you here and still doing CRHing? The challenge of getting something difficult to obtain is more thrilling. Getting a 1934 series bill in circulation is a lot tougher than getting a 90%er.

It's still not worth acting like a jerk.

SERIOUSLY? You think it's okay to tamper with a person's livelihood over a currency note that she was not obligated to give you?

You are a real piece of work. I cannot begin to express the level of contempt I feel for you right now, lest I be kicked off the forums entirely.

The sad thing is, he's so wrapped up in himself that he'll never get that.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell me know it will hurt CRHing?

How narrow sighted are you. It might not affect you, but the low volume guy who doesn't have a large business account is going to be shut down. They may decide that they don't want to deal with petty CRH and decide to charge a fee to customer wanting coins. Or to hey might stop accepting your bags of coin. They might decide that after you complain they want to hey look into your account and see all the coin you bring in and what it's costing them to ship out. They then decide you need to pay a fee to defray the cost to them. These are just a the very few things that they could do.

I don't know why you think you are righting some type of wrong. If anything somebody is going to have to go right your wrong.

Look at it this way. You came close to finding the elusive 1934 hundred dollars bill. But the fish fell off the hook right before you could pull it into the boat. Should you go complain to the head of the company that makes the hook? Or should you just move on and put your line back in the water?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am starting to think this guy is just being a troll. Actually I hope he is being a troll, because if he is not I feel sorry for him and everyone that has to deal with his shenanigans.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned before, I expect that tellers do culling on their own. I've been doing CRHing for a long long time. Me reporting the issue to management will have little or no effect on the hobby. If anything, it will make the hobby better so that the teller doesn't do it to another CRHer.

I've come to the conclusion that I will talk to the branch manager. However, I will hold off on the dumping part. May increase it slightly for other reasons (ie the branch being closer to my residence) but will not do a mega dump there. Just wanted to hear opinions here before I make the move. After all that's what the forum is about.

YOU expect the tellers to do their culling on their own time?? Who are you? The bank CEO? Seriously the sense of entitlement being displayed and the need to right all the supposed wrongs you may see is so incredibly insane I'm having trouble finding the proper words to describe it. Go ahead and listen to the 1 person that semi agreed with you and ignore the 20 or so who completely disagreed and go tattle on the teller. The teller may be reprimanded, you may be shut off from dumping coin there or new fees will be imposed, you may even find your account closed - but one thing that will happen for sure is you will make an enemy out of every employee of that branch and word will spread like wild fire. Tellers move around transferring, retiring, filling in for sick days, and even go from one company to the next. You will be a complete pariah.....all over a bill you "think" may have been a 1934 and that "may" be worth $10-30 over face value and a teller you "feel" may have lied to you.

You didn't come hear to hear opinions, you came here for self vindication. You won't find it here.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
There's your fatal mistake. That teller is doing nothing wrong. The only "wrong" is what you perceive.

Great...get a teller in trouble because she didn't cater to your whim, especially since she's not even obligated to do it. Entitlement, much? Also...again...it's not your place to tell the bank personnel what they should or should not be doing.

I don't, because what the employee does is between them and their employer.

This last bit just takes the cake! There are no wrongs to be righted and there certainly is no justice to be brought. It's pretty sad that you are so wrapped up into yourself that you even think this way.

If I was entitled,
I would take issue with all tellers that cull but I don't. You make a lot of generalizations and little on specifics. There is a deep difference between you and I. You don't care if others get paid to run personal errands on the job. Hmm.. We have a new generation of sociopaths. You probably don't care if your neighbor beats the crap out of his wife every night either.

The way Liu21 described it was dead on. The teller was skimming the small portrait bills and pulled the old one out because it looked much older. She was searching on the job. You weren't there to judge, I was.

Don't know what your definition of justice is but justice for me is about doing what's just and fair for everyone.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
YOU expect the tellers to do their culling on their own time?? Who are you? The bank CEO? Seriously the sense of entitlement being displayed and the need to right all the supposed wrongs you may see is so incredibly insane I'm having trouble finding the proper words to describe it. Go ahead and listen to the 1 person that semi agreed with you and ignore the 20 or so who completely disagreed and go tattle on the teller. The teller may be reprimanded, you may be shut off from dumping coin there or new fees will be imposed, you may even find your account closed - but one thing that will happen for sure is you will make an enemy out of every employee of that branch and word will spread like wild fire. Tellers move around transferring, retiring, filling in for sick days, and even go from one company to the next. You will be a complete pariah.....all over a bill you "think" may have been a 1934 and that "may" be worth $10-30 over face value and a teller you "feel" may have lied to you.

You didn't come hear to hear opinions, you came here for self vindication. You won't find it here.

Of course, tellers cull. Just want them to do in a fairest way possible. For them to do it out of sight and out of mind. Not looking for self vindication. I did change my mind about doing a massive dump based on opinions here and over time, anger fades. However, searching on the job is something they shouldn't be doing and it will get reported. Too bad. Teller gonna get snitched on. I do plenty of snitching in my line of work (public safety). LOL. Doesn't bother me one bit.

My advice to folks here concerning dealing with law enforcement, when you encounter them, don't lie to them. If they catch you lying, they will get you for everything they can. Tell the truth, be nice, and you might catch a break. I always find honesty refreshing and sometimes they catch a break because it's so rare.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, tellers cull. Just want them to do in a fairest way possible. For them to do it out of sight and out of mind. Not looking for self vindication. I did change my mind about doing a massive dump based on opinions here and over time, anger fades. However, searching on the job is something they shouldn't be doing and it will get reported. Too bad. Teller gonna snitched on. I do plenty of snitching in my line of work (public safety). LOL. Doesn't bother me one bit.

If she does it out of sight, she is still doing it on company time. There is no possible way for her to not do it on company time. You contradict yourself by saying you don't care if she does it then but when she did it in front of you, all the sudden it's not ok?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, tellers cull. Just want them to do in a fairest way possible. For them to do it out of sight and out of mind. Not looking for self vindication. I did change my mind about doing a massive dump based on opinions here and over time, anger fades. However, searching on the job is something they shouldn't be doing and it will get reported. Too bad. Teller gonna snitched on. I do plenty of snitching in my line of work (public safety). LOL. Doesn't bother me one bit.

If she does it out of sight, she is still doing it on company time. There is no possible way for her to not do it on company time. You contradict yourself by saying you don't care if she does it then but when she did it in front of you, all the sudden it's not ok?

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

THIS.

I am starting to think this guy is just being a troll. Actually I hope he is being a troll, because if he is not I feel sorry for him and everyone that has to deal with his shenanigans.

Please tell me he is a troll. I cannot fathom how a legit person could be this way.

Last edited:

captain1965

Apr 12, 2015
Mesa
Detector(s) used
fisher gemini 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first job was at a public swimming pool snack bar. kids would steal money from there parents collection for snacks. I would bring extra change to swap out. =)

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT

How am I supposed to know if she's searching on the job if I don't see it? I expect it to happen but I don't want to see it. They could be doing it while they have a break, lunch, or when there is down time when there is no bearing on customer interactions. I expect many people do run errands on the clock but how would I know if they're actually doing it if I don't see it?

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course, tellers cull. Just want them to do in a fairest way possible. For them to do it out of sight and out of mind. Not looking for self vindication. I did change my mind about doing a massive dump based on opinions here and over time, anger fades. However, searching on the job is something they shouldn't be doing and it will get reported. Too bad. Teller gonna get snitched on. I do plenty of snitching in my line of work (public safety). LOL. Doesn't bother me one bit.

I would draw the huge distinction between reporting public safety issues regardless of who may be fired or fined, and what you are planning on doing. One draws attention to problems that may impact the safety of the public and one draws attention to nobody but yourself. However at this point it's clear that this point would be lost upon you.

Self entitlement - the real ill that plagues this country. God help us all.

I'm done with this thread....so disgusted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread