CWR and the traveling hunter

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have never ever found a CWR, every time I have asked about them the teller says when they receive them they get dumped into the coin machine in case whoever turned in the roll counted inaccurately. You guys seem to come across these in rural areas or what?
How many of you do CRH road trips? By road trip I just mean maybe driving an hour hitting every bank on the way getting what you can until either your funds dry up or you're sick of driving. I drive some pretty rural crap checking my traps every day and have thought about maybe stopping in at the non-chain "mom and pop" type banks to see what I could dig up. Any have success doing this? Good luck guys/gals, banks are open tomorrow!!

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have to goto a bank that does not have a coin counting machine. I get my coins from BoA. They usually have at least some of all denominations in CWR. They rarely have halves in CWR though.

dantheman2745

Jul 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same question before where i find them are banks that dont have coin machines such as pnc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
For banks that automatically feed CWR's into the machine, see if you can buy bags off their machine. I've had luck with that in the past.

And yes, the mom & pop bank way in the boonies are prime locations, as they are unlikely to be hit by CRH'ers day in and day out.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, people used to do road trips a couple years ago, now it's just not worthy the time (forget about money, Crh is never about money). Too many day-in day-out crhers in every little town in this country thanks to this eaxct forum.

However you should do it at least once if you never did before.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For banks that automatically feed CWR's into the machine, see if you can buy bags off their machine. I've had luck with that in the past.

And yes, the mom & pop bank way in the boonies are prime locations, as they are unlikely to be hit by CRH'ers day in and day out.
Didn't even think about buying the bags off their machines! Only thing I wonder is how much cash do I need to buy a bag???

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on how much is in the bag.

Some banks wont sell it until they are full and some will sell them for whatever is in them. Typically a full bag is either 500 or 1000 dollars.

If one isnt in a hurry I suggest stopping at any rural bank you drive by.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to do road trips. I've driven nearly 500 miles in a carefully mapped out day. Hit 77 banks that day if I remember correctly. Lots of shorter, but still all-day trips.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First bank I stopped at I asked for halves and she said, "I have a few", of course I said I'd take em and she came back with a canvas bag with 283 dollars worth of halves in it, I haven't searched them yet but I think she grabbed the bag from a coin counting machine, she walked over by the drive through window and grabbed em. Hit 7 banks other than that and only came up with 5 more halves total! End up the day I stopped by my bank and got a box of nickels to round out the night.

dantheman2745

Jul 15, 2015
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First bank I stopped at I asked for halves and she said, "I have a few", of course I said I'd take em and she came back with a canvas bag with 283 dollars worth of halves in it, I haven't searched them yet but I think she grabbed the bag from a coin counting machine, she walked over by the drive through window and grabbed em. Hit 7 banks other than that and only came up with 5 more halves total! End up the day I stopped by my bank and got a box of nickels to round out the night.
Let us know how they turn out!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I used to live in a RV and traveled full time all over the USA. I stopped at any town I was in or near hunting for halves and some banks were really glad to get rid of them and others would say they never get any. There are days when I take my car in for service they give me a free car and I use that day to hit about 50 banks up in the big city. Some times I win, some times I lose, but I always play the game hunting for silver.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us know how they turn out!

Sorry about the delayed update! I actually ended up pulling two 40% out of that bag, not bad, just happy to see some silver. Nickels were a skunk as usual, nickels around here really seem to suck for some reason. Might go back to trusty dimes tomorrow or halves if I can find em.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread