Traded in some 40s for ASEs

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Traded in some 40's for ASE's

I decided to trade in some of my 40's from last year for some ASE's
I traded 420 for 40 2016 ASE's.
Since the 40's were all found at FV each ASE cost me $5.25.
I am happy with the deal.

Attachments

• 1454030456036.jpg
    1454030456036.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 1454030469944.jpg
    1454030469944.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You realize that those average out to $25 dollars per coin. Not $35

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You realize that those average out to $25 dollars per coin. Not $35

Worse than that, the $494.99 rolls come to $21.50 per coin after eBay and paypal take their cuts. The $425 roll may have lost money on the deal. :laughing7:

Looks like the future aint what it used to be.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im simply stating that the Premium is VERY Real with ASE over time.

That's not much of a premium at all. After ebay fees and PayPal fees that 25 dollar coin is about 21.75 coin. My point is that it depends on the mintage of the ASE you have. 2016 is most likely going to be a very high mintage year if it's anything like 2015.

If there is a silver shortage this year and they make very few 2016's then the OP made a steal on the deal.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
let me know when 40% halves gain a 50%+ premium over spot.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
let me know when 40% halves gain a 50%+ premium over spot.

I'm respectfully disagreeing with you about the huge premiums that ASE are going to have in the future. I'm not talking about 40%ers. What are you using as your example of ASE having a gain of 50% over spot?

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice, 1965. Not going to lie, you got me on that. However are you going to deny that ASE dont gain a premium over spot at a higher %, than your average CRH 40%er?

I'm going to argue that ASE don't gain a premium. They already have a premium attached to them from the very begining.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm respectfully disagreeing with you about the huge premiums that ASE are going to have in the future. I'm not talking about 40%ers. What are you using as your example of ASE having a gain of 50% over spot?

mxh5891, take any ASE and do a ebay sold search, any year you pick will have a premium over spot. Sure mintage plays a big part in how high the pre. is going to be. but even 2016/15 will have a 2-3$ pre. right off the press, that pre.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hold about 30 ASE, the Premium on them is nothing compared to my Silver Pandas. My silver stack (Bars/Rounds) has been losing Value since i started stacking, and the only thing that is holding their value is my Panda coins, Proof ASEs, Kookaburras.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mxh5891, take any ASE and do a ebay sold search, any year you pick will have a premium over spot. Sure mintage plays a big part in how high the pre. is going to be. but even 2016/15 will have a 2-3$ pre. right off the press, that pre.

That is exactly what I was saying. ASE have a built in premium. Their premium doesn't magically get bigger the older the coin gets like you were suggesting to the OP. You were suggesting that in 30 years even if the spot price is exactly the same for silver, his 2016 silver eagles were going to sell for a huge premium. I can go on ebay and get a 1986 ASE and buy one for $25 bucks or so, and they are 20 years old.

So ASE have a premium, everyone knows that, but being able to sell them for big money in the future is only dependant on supply and demand. If the mintage is huge them the Premium is only going to stay a $4-10 over spot. It's when you have a low mintage coin that is in high demand, or even a high mintage coin with huge demand that you can make good money on selling a coin. Your pandas are a good example of this. Wish I would have stated collecting them back in the 80's

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
40x 2016 ASE, 20 years from now will> 420x 196X 40% half dollars...

History has shown that reality will likely be completely opposite to what you are thinking.

This will likely be true if, and only if, the price of silver falls well back into the single digits. The premium on common ASE's has been a pretty constant $3-$5 each regardless of the spot price of silver. Therefore, premiums actually decrease when the spot price of silver increases, not the other way around as you are expecting. It is completely true that war nickels and 40% halves are the least desired U.S. junk silver coins, and places that buy silver like to poo-poo the percentage of spot they pay based on the lower purity amounts. However, back a few years ago when silver was rising into the $30's, then the $40's and almost making it to $50, that poo-pooing wasn't happening...at all. 90% still brought a higher percentage than 40%, but it wasn't uncommon at all to get dang near melt for 40%, while ASE's still had that same $3-$5 premium.

From a purely investment stance and assuming the price of silver goes up in the future, the 420 40% should greatly outperform 40 common ASE's. If the price of silver drops back to the $5-$6 range, the ASE's will win as they'll still have that premium attached and it'll be hard to find anyone who would pay more than $0.50 for a 40%er.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Than you all for your kind and mostly not so kind words on what I decided to do with my silver.
I know that had I spent more time I could have gotten more for my 40's. I could have opened an ebay account and a paypal account ( I have neither ) and paid the fees of both for selling. And since I have no deals or feedback might not get what I wanted.
I know that when I stated that my cost of the 40's was $5.25 I was not taking into account time and gas to crh. To me my crh is as much much needed relaxation and therapy as anything else. I have some health issues and a very stressful environment at work. Besides being with my wife and children there is nothing I enjoy more than getting out when I can to go bank hopping. And searching boxes lets me relax and not think about some other things. So to me the time I spend crh is not a negative cost.
When you say I lost 20 oz of silver that is not entirely true. I traded a cheaper oz type of silver for a premier oz type of silver so to speak.
1 oz of 40's (6.67 coins) will NEVER be worth the same as a 1 oz ASE. You have to factor that into it.
Plus as was stated above by Liu21 i believe the value of the ASE's will rise faster than that of the 40's.
As so many of you have pointed out I could have done better. If I decide to do anything like this again I will probably search my options out more to get a better deal.
But for now I am still happy with my little stack of ASE's that I got through my enjoyable efforts of CRH.
HH all

If you post on this forum, you will get opinions on the subject...as it should be. That is what a public forum is all about. Now, someone thinking about making a similar trade can easily see the "Pros and Cons" and likely make a much better informed decision on the matter. Thanks for sharing the story and kudos for not taking it personally and getting all snippy when the majority didn't like your trade. In the end, never let anyone tell you how to spend your own money. While it is wise to seek all the information and opinions on the matter at hand, it is your money to do with as you see fit.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I just want to know who is winning the pissing contest? I can't keep up anymore :tongue3:. HH, Maverick.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to know who is winning the pissing contest? I can't keep up anymore :tongue3:. HH, Maverick.

This post really isn't a pissing contest (Ok maybe a little bit). It is a difference of opinions about an interesting topic. The bad news is that neither side will be proven right or wrong until 30 years has passed. Maybe in 30 years we can dig this post back up and see who is right about their analysis.

This post has got me thinking about if I do sell some of my coins, how i am going to go about doing it. I also am thinking a lot more about the gold vs silver ration too. Up to right now I have just been buying silver and CRH and keeping everything saved for a rainy day. Never really thought about selling it and buying gold when the ration gets around 50 and selling gold and buying silver when it gets into the 70's.

OP
OP
silveraddict

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm liking the silver/gold ratio trading advise. From what I see it looks like the ratio pretty much has gone between the low 30's to the mid 70's. Now being a great time to trade gold for silver.
I do have a 1/2 oz gold eagle. I think I will see how many 1 oz silver rounds ( not ASE's ) I can get. Wether it be trade or sell and buy.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to sell dirty ugly 40% kenns to buy ASEs. Just a preference no matter what the analysis is.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to sell dirty ugly 40% kenns to buy ASEs. Just a preference no matter what the analysis is.

Care to share how you sell them? Just interested to hear how, because i may someday try and sell some and any advice is appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread