How many CRH also Bill hunt?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thought it be cool to see how many of us CRHers collect or look for bills as well.

I occasionally get a strap of dollar bills and search them for star notes or cool serial numbers. So far the coolest bills I have found a super low two digit serial number, an serial number were 7 of 8 digits are 5's. I have also found a barr note, and about 50 star notes. Still waiting to find a silver certificate.

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I do. Found some pretty good stuff. Best finds were a crisp 1928 red seal $5 bill, a few nice 1928 red seal $2 bills, a $1 Hawaii silver cert, and a 1928 "Funny Back" dollar bill... also found several $1 silver certs (crisp ones, bad ones, decent ones, and a few star notes) and lots of 50s and 60s red seal $2s, plus a smattering of red seal $5s and $5 silver certs. I've also found a 1934 $50 and $20.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I tried it before. I went through about 2k in $1's and wasn't impressed. I found a handful of "pre 90's" bills but no silver certs or anything. Oldest was a nice 1969 series. I've since spent all but two bills from that hunt; one with a serial number of 04444022 and a super crisp 1988A. Never found a web note, or anything great. I might try it again sometime though. Straps of dollars are a lot easier to get from a bank than a box of coin imo.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask for old bills when ever dump. Last week I was at my friends pick up bank. He handed me 4 stacks of brand new dollar bills and I quickly flipped through them to see if there was any star notes. Most of my old notes were only in the 90/80s nothing special enough to keep. But you gotta keep trying and asking.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I transfer cash between dump/pickup so I always look through the hundreds/fifties to see anything special. I've come close, but nothing to note.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are those silver certificates worth much? I suppose it depends on year and everything like a coin.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't buy notes to look through, but I do search the ones I come across. The only things I've kept in the past several years is a Barr dollar and a $100 with a 7-of-a-kind serial number.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Old bills look cooler than new ones. Look at Feebay for them. Some people do pay a premium for them. Some of the sellers I'm sure work at banks too.

It's part of history just like coins. There's a progression of anti-counterfeit features added over time to the monopoly like currency we have now. The only difference between coins and paper money is that coins are also backed by their content values. Otherwise they're all worth what someone would be willing to pay for them.

Anyone else have luck with strap searching? I've not done it. The tellers would think it's odd for someone to get a strap of bills one minute and return it the next.

I keep an eye out on serial numbers too. Found a new $100 with LB33221111D as serial number. Anyone think that serial is worth keeping?

The lowest serial number one I've found was a beat up 2003A $100 with FL00001801C as the number. It's worn out. I mostly seem to deal with $100's since I get them as a by product of dumping.

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My wife has been in banking for years and has brought home many different bills from yesteryear.
I usually trade them for face value to other collector friends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread