Percent copper v zinc

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Forgive me for being ignorant on this as I am not a roll hunter. But ... I was wandering around the forum and a question occurred to me. What percentage of cents are pre 83 'copper' v newer zinc when you buy a box or whatever quantity, and does it vary much by where they come from. Thank you for the data :D

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's an impossible le question to answer. Every box is going to be different. I think most people average somewhere around 15-20% copper per box. Some will be more, and some may be a box of brand new 2015 or 2016 zinc's.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area, boxes of cents were averaging less than 12% copper back several years ago when it seemed most were averaging 20%+. The only way to know what your area produces is to get in there and search a bunch of boxes.

You also might get an inkling of what your area will produce by just paying attention to your own pocket change over a several month period of time.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My copper take varies at 12-18% per box, plus about 10-15 wheaties (which are NOT include in the copper %). Like others have said, it varies by region of the country and also per box. You will have to test it on your own.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread