How to dump halves?

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on where you live, take them back to the bank. Or spend them at local stores. Or go to another city and cash them in. Be careful, you don't want your bank to "cut" you off.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I willbe starting to search boxes of halves, but how can I get rid of the rest if I can only open one bank account?

Before you start ordering boxes it's best to have a plan in place in order to get rid of them. Do NOT take them back to the same bank you got them from. You will get cut off super fast. If you have a TD bank near you I would open up a savings account with them so you can use their coin counting machine for free. Actually any bank that has a coin counter would work. You just have to have an account. If that's not an option you will have to reroll the halves back up after searching and take them to a different bank then where you picked them up. You can take it a different branch of the same bank.

You could also dump them at a coinstar and just make sure you use the free gift card option so you don't pay the fee.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
If multiple bank accounts are not an option for you then you will probably be re-rolling and returning to another bank. Some will take them, some won't. Just ask around. If you carefully unroll the crimp at one end of the roll you can slide the coins out without destroying the paper. Search them and drop them back in. Takes a little extra time but not much.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If multiple bank accounts are not an option for you then you will probably be re-rolling and returning to another bank. Some will take them, some won't. Just ask around. If you carefully unroll the crimp at one end of the roll you can slide the coins out without destroying the paper. Search them and drop them back in. Takes a little extra time but not much.

That's exactly what I used to do before I found a bank with a coin counting machine. It's not ideal but you can make it work.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread