3 years of crh totals

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did an assessment of what I have accumulated since starting to hunt almost 3 years ago. It's a little bit shocking when you realize your hoard of pre 82 copper cents is at almost 720,000! (I have put copper hoarding on hold waiting for prices to rise). I've found at least one of every Lincoln cent but for the '09s vdb, '10s, '12s, 14d, 14s and 24d. I have 23100 wheat cents, including 1288 that are pre '40. Also, 23 Indian head cents. I completed several full folders of Jefferson nickels and I'm on my 14th roll of war nickels, 4th roll of buffs. I've found too many proof cents and nickels to list. The only coins I search in other denominations are dimes and halves that are customer rolled. I have 7 rolls of dimes and 2 rolls of halves that are silver. 3 of the silver dime rolls are from one find. Other memorable finds were a hoard of steel cents (it was either $16 dollars or 16 rolls, can't quite remember) and recently a very nice condition '23 Canadian cent. Oh, yah, it was exciting to find a nice '31s cent! I found it the first month of searching and I was hooked. I have found numerous cud and other error coins that I usually trade my lcs for junk silver coins. I lot of time and gas but I would have wasted away rainy days some other way if not for this hobby. Good luck, everyone!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
So if my understanding is correct, you've found multiple 50-D jeffersons, over 400 war nickels, the elusive 1922 D cent, and even a 1909 s, and 1909 vdb? Those totals blow me away, as I also used to hunt mostly cents and nickels. Once I get proper bankroll again Ill continue on. Any key/semi key buffaloes?

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if my understanding is correct, you've found multiple 50-D jeffersons, over 400 war nickels, the elusive 1922 D cent, and even a 1909 s, and 1909 vdb? Those totals blow me away, as I also used to hunt mostly cents and nickels. Once I get proper bankroll again Ill continue on. Any key/semi key buffaloes?
About a year a half ago I gave up on finding a 50d nickel so I took a small box full of foreign coins that I'd been tossing aside and traded them at my lcs for the 50d. Then within a few months I found 3 50ds, bam, bam, bam! Two of them had obviously come from collections. The cents you mentioned all were found in the first few months, probably from a collection as well. It seems I started searching at the perfect time. I don't think any of my buffs are anything to get excited about but I have found 4 liberty nickels, including a very nice 1883 (no cents) that I forgot to mention.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
About a year a half ago I gave up on finding a 50d nickel so I took a small box full of foreign coins that I'd been tossing aside and traded them at my lcs for the 50d. Then within a few months I found 3 50ds, bam, bam, bam! Two of them had obviously come from collections. The cents you mentioned all were found in the first few months, probably from a collection as well. It seems I started searching at the perfect time. I don't think any of my buffs are anything to get excited about but I have found 4 liberty nickels, including a very nice 1883 (no cents) that I forgot to mention.

Were those key dates from coin boxes (machine wrapped rolls) or from customer wrapped rolls?

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Were those key dates from coin boxes (machine wrapped rolls) or from customer wrapped rolls?
The nickels were in customer wrapped rolls. The key cents that I found right off the bat were in mwr, all from one bank but several different branches.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
The nickels were in customer wrapped rolls. The key cents that I found right off the bat were in mwr, all from one bank but several different branches.

Very Cool. I'm guessing you have a Ryedale to sort all those cents. I used to search cents when copper was high. I still think it's cool you got all those dates, I still have many holes in my wheat cent book. Unfortunately, I don't have the storage space for all the copper cents anymore so I've stopped searching.

There's a guy in my neck of the woods that had 14k in copper cents. His wife made him stop. I don't think he has a 09-S VDB either.

Last edited:

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Phenomenal for 3 years work! Congratulations! May the next 3 years be even better!!

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive hoard! Too bad u didn't sell the coppers as you found them - coulda doubled yer money not long ago. Hopefully Cu prices go up again.

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That's a nice list of good coins!

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I totally commend you sir!:wav: That is quite the collection! I use to search penny's and nickels but found it ( for me at least) to be more cost effective to focus on halves. I do have 2 boxes of coppers, 1000 wheats and about half a nickel box full of Buffs to show for when I did search them though. HH, Maverick.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Did you cherrypick all those cents for errors and varieties?

If coins are a hobby for you, you may have done that already. But if you haven't, I recommend The Cherrypicker's Guide. I think
that the '6th' is the latest edition.

https://www.collectons.com/shop/ite...of-United-States-Coins-Volume-I-Sixth-Edition

With that many coins, there must be a total of a few hundred dollars worth in errors and varieties.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread