uncirculated 1960D cent errors?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
So I went through all of my weekend rolls; not much luck - a couple of 40%'s out of 6 boxes of halves. Didn't have anything to search through tonight, so I decided to crack open one of those uncirculated cent rolls I bought last month. Broke out my felt pad, white gloves, the whole nine yards and started going through a roll of 1960-D large dates looking for a double die obverse. Didn't find any, but noticed something odd about LIBERTY. The bottom of the R in some of them was filled. My guess is that it's from a die chip, maybe worth a buck or two? However, literally half of the cents had it; I found about 26 of them.

I also noticed on just a few what looked like a die crack on Lincoln's forehead. On some it was a raised line across his brow, and on others it was a raised line with a blob or two across his forehead going into his hair. I took what photos I could - it's freaking HARD getting extreme closeups under magnification!

Do the die chips/die cracks carry much of a premium? Considering I have a couple dozen in uncirculated red condition, is it worth trying to sell a few as a batch? Any advice would be appreciated.

FT

Attachments

• IMG_3218.JPG
    IMG_3218.JPG
    463.5 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_3221.JPG
    IMG_3221.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_3244.JPG
    IMG_3244.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3242.JPG
    IMG_3242.JPG
    315.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    479.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    423.2 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    449.3 KB · Views: 92
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much added value. Those were quite common back then. They used the dies until they were about to fall apart!

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you want, you can try to contact CONECA and have them attribute them as a new die variety. Since you have more than one specimen, send in like 3. There's a number of them that do attributions. I recall James Wiles did the halves but not sure who does pennies.

You never know, if you can get them attributed, and somehow you can get PCGS or any top there graders to put in the attribution onto the label of a graded coin. It might be worth something.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They wouldn't be considered a variety. They are in fact errors. Simply die chips and would be a waste of time to send in.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I'd still say it's worth a shot to send to CONECA. Send in two samples.

After all, the speared 2005 Buffalo Nickel, the 1955 Bugs Bunny Ben Franklin are all examples of errors where a die got screwed up.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I'm saying is this is a common error. I have seen many of these through the years. It isn't rare and the cost of having it slabbed is a waste of money. It would simply come back as having die chips. Save your money.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have several rolls of 60 D small and large date pennies never taken out of the roll. So I wouldn't mess with them right now..:tongue3:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
What I'm saying is this is a common error. I have seen many of these through the years. It isn't rare and the cost of having it slabbed is a waste of money. It would simply come back as having die chips. Save your money.

It doesn't cost much to get a coin attributed by a CONECA examiner. I recall I sent a coin in a while back and paid $10 (this was 5 years ago). Too bad I couldn't find the other specimen to turn in. I recall I reading some one here sent in a coin to them a while ago (or another possible forum) and got their coin attributed as a new variety. Just saying, it's worth a shot.

As far as getting it slabbed by PCGS, yes it does cost a lot of money.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said, again, this isn't a variety and they are quite common. This error isn't valued at $10. At the absolute most it might get a dollar for it. I'm not trying to sound rude, it's just not wise to tell someone to"take a shot" on something I know for a fact has little value. I've been doing this for a long time and I know about these things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions