Lincoln Cent - Looking for suggestions as to what this is?

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pulled this out of one of the registers tonight at work... I have no clue? I want to say this is not post mint... But curious none the less... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

image.jpeg

Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe it had some solder melted onto it. "Could have been at the wrong place at the wrong time....:dontknow:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is interesting to say the least. I can't say I need way or the other for sure. If it's a cud then it's the biggest cud I have ever seen. My only other guess was it was partially melted so how

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Solder sounds like an idea... It's so weird though... It's perfectly filled and the copper rim is still showing... The other side is in perfect condition... Absolutely no sign of burn damage or even excessive heat...

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Care to share how you know it's PMD? It will help me and people who have no clue how to tell errors from PMD

How did Lincoln get on the planchet, if it has the glob of things all around it? If it was NOT PMD, Lincoln would appear on top of all that glob, not "Under" it.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do CUDs form?

still at it heh? CUD forms from a bad Die, like a gouge or something, usually on the rim, which gives it a "raised" look on the coin. 70109544.jpg
OP's coin is not a CUD either, the raised area has all the tad tale signs of someone dropping molten copper or metal over the coin, just look at the flow drops, and the two tone color.... at 3.4 grams? where did the extra .4 grams come from? if it was a REAL CUD weight of the coin would remain as the same any normal penny.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually, a cud is formed when part of the die breaks away. They are also always on the rim. Anything away from the rim is either a die chip or a interior die break. That said, this is definitely pmd. A broken die doesn't add material to a coin.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still at it heh? CUD forms from a bad Die, like a gouge or something, usually on the rim, which gives it a "raised" look on the coin. View attachment 1274626
OP's coin is not a CUD either, the raised area has all the tad tale signs of someone dropping molten copper or metal over the coin, just look at the flow drops, and the two tone color.... at 3.4 grams? where did the extra .4 grams come from? if it was a REAL CUD weight of the coin would remain as the same any normal penny.

I'm not trying to be a pain. I was honestly just trying to gain some know ledge on the subject. Your answers all make sense. Like I said when it comes to errors I am NOT very knowledgeable and I like learning about them. I search so many coins it makes sense to learn to look out for possible errors.

Joe Pani

Feb 18, 2016
New York
Detector(s) used
Surfmaster Amphibian II and garretts 350
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks cool. What the heck. Is this kind of thing valuable?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks cool. What the heck. Is this kind of thing valuable?

Since it is Post mint damage (PMD) it's only worth one cent. Had it been an error from the mint it could have been worth some decent money.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to all who want some knowledge on error coins, 2 web sites from CONECA are a wealth of data: varietyvista.com, and error-ref.com. a complete database for US coins with info on when error types can occur in the numerous stages of minting, plus photos of known error types. hope y'all spend some time doin' yer homework and HH:-). soon you will know the difference between a Cud and a stinky cow just a chewin' on some grass.
I'm not trying to be a pain. I was honestly just trying to gain some know ledge on the subject. Your answers all make sense. Like I said when it comes to errors I am NOT very knowledgeable and I like learning about them. I search so many coins it makes sense to learn to look out for possible errors.

OP
OP
PGHDigger

PGHDigger

Jan 3, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the help guys... I'm new to coin collecting (thanks to metal detecting) and love learning... The help I have been offered from the members of this site has been top notch... Thank you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions