Electric Coin Roll Hunting

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I got this idea from the title of a thread started by TheMastermind. I am not a coin roll hunter, but I am kind of geeky, and like to find new uses for technology in this hobby.

The premise is very simple, and might save you folks some time, effort, and money (I don't even know if this has been done before). Instead of tearing apart rolls of coins to examine the coins, try this:

a. Take known all-clad rolls of coins.

b. Using a multi-meter, measure the resistance from one end of the roll to the other.

c. Take a roll with one silver coin in the middle, and measure the resistance of that roll.

Since silver is a better conductor than the clad alloy, the resistance should be lower on a roll containing silver. So, using solid clad rolls of every denomination coin take base measurements for clad rolls. Anything measuring lower resistance should contain silver.

Granted, this does nothing if you are looking for mis-strikes and error coins, but if you are just looking for silver, it may help.

Mike

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread