Electric Coin Roll Hunting

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I got this idea from a thread started by TheMastermind. I am not a coin roll hunter, but I am kind of geeky, and like to find new uses for technology in this hobby.

The premise is very simple, and might save you folks some time, effort, and money (I don't even know if this has been done before). Instead of tearing apart rolls of coins to examine the coins, try this:

a. Take known all-clad rolls of coins.

b. Using a multi-meter, measure the resistance from one end of the roll to the other.

c. Take a roll with one silver coin in the middle, and measure the resistance of that roll.

Since silver is a better conductor than the clad alloy, the resistance should be lower on a roll containing silver. So, using solid clad rolls of every denomination coin take base measurements for clad rolls. Anything measuring lower resistance should contain silver.

Granted, this does nothing if you are looking for mis-strikes and error coins, but if you are just looking for silver, it may help. Hope it helps you!

Mike

Mike

Upvote 0

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting idea.

I do believe tarnish will affect the resistivity of silver, but it will most likely be a negligible difference.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a bad idea for people who are doing it just to search as much and as fast as possible for silver. But for people like me who do it for fun and enjoy find things other then silver (I enjoy finding silver too), I am not interested.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea since I just look for silver 40% and 90% with halves. I will try it.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Great idea, but how & what electrical hookup equipment is needed? Batteries, wire, gator clips, volt meter? MWR's only? Need pics & more info. Thanks, I'd like to try it.

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent idea. Like Dozer, I wonder what type of equipment would be needed. Thanks for the interesting idea.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You people are thinking too much here. HAHAHA All you need is an Ohmmeter (on a multimeter) that measures resistance. You can buy one for about $5 at Harbor Freight Tools.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread