The ultimate sniping teller?

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A local branch I used to frequent got a new teller a few months back. She struck up a convo with me when I asked for halves and I quickly found out she searches every cwr in the branch - dimes, nickels, halves, quarters and pennies.

I decided to stop in today and grab a box of dimes. She wasn't there, but a teller I know from another branch was there. I asked her for a box and she said... You sure they've been gone through. She pulled up a box of dimes and they were re-crimped mwr's.

I asked if there was a sealed box available and she shook her head no. Turns out that teller goes through EVERY roll. She opens all boxes that comes into the branch and searches them along with the cwr. :censored:

Has anyone ever run into this? Great dump bank for sure...

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I wonder if she "searches" during her time or the banks!

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, two branches I deal with have LEAD tellers who search. One who was outright nasty about it even. Sorry to hear it though.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Someones thirsty for that AG. Even more than us I bet! I'm pretty sure most of us here would have the decency to not check MWR and recrimp them whilst on the clock and whatnot. (unless it is on her time and the branch REALLY doesn't care, otherwise sure... Ill search anything yah got :P) She may not know about 40% but even that sounds like a longshot with how heavy the sniping appears to be. Don't know what to tell you man. Epic dump bank for sure. Wait a little while though so she forgets your face, and then try to chrome plate some stuff here and there to make her think she's found something. Haha!

~~Pt78~~

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
had a 30 year "head" teller retire at one bank -- after she did I finally got a silver half ....

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
I wonder if she "searches" during her time or the banks!

With the way the teller rolled her eyes, I'm pretty sure it's on the bank's time

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the time. Part of the CRH life. I had teller switch the Brinks clear plastic roll right in front of me because it had a silver rim.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have met and heard about sniping tellers, but never one who actually opens up boxes and MWRs. If I was a teller I wouldn't bother with the sealed stuff. There's enough to be had if you are watching the trays and CWRs coming in.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Have fun with this snipping teller by returning some CWR's with several of the rolls marked: old coins, pre-1964's, silver coins, 1946-1964, etc. I'll bet she buys all the rolls and them takes them home thinking she has a DREAM DUMP. Haha, the jokes on her this time. But better yet, do it several weeks in a roll and then see what happens.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried buying halves from a sniping teller. They didn't want to order me boxes but would give rolls. All the MWR I got were opened on one end and marked on the other.

It only took a few trips to confirm that yes, the teller went through everything there. Then I dumped on them.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Have fun with this snipping teller by returning some CWR's with several of the rolls marked: old coins, pre-1964's, silver coins, 1946-1964, etc. I'll bet she buys all the rolls and them takes them home thinking she has a DREAM DUMP. Haha, the jokes on her this time. But better yet, do it several weeks in a roll and then see what happens.

This. I used to date search dimes, and would save 1965 - 1969; don't ask me why. Got revenge on a sniping teller once by dumping rolls of dimes that I filled mostly with 1960's dimes with a few Canadian, where I had written "1960's" in shaky script on the rolls. To really get her hopes up I included a few 1968 Canadians, ensuring of course they were nickel.

Don't mess with FT!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
FormerTeller: just LOVE your story. Funny, but sniping tellers DON'T HELP our stacking count.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FormerTeller: just LOVE your story. Funny, but sniping tellers DON'T HELP our stacking count.

Tellers are people just like you and me man. I don't see why it has to be us versus them. I suppose if you really get down to it, it's you versus everyone on this forum. Everyone is competing for the silver and a teller is just another person that looks through coins. If you were in their shoes, I'm sure you'd do the same.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When i was a teller, i DID do the same. However, I wasn't a jerk about it. There's far too many tellers who are jerks about it, and IMO they deserve what they get.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers are people just like you and me man. I don't see why it has to be us versus them. I suppose if you really get down to it, it's you versus everyone on this forum. Everyone is competing for the silver and a teller is just another person that looks through coins. If you were in their shoes, I'm sure you'd do the same.

It's a good point Ryan. We are all just typing to get a small piece of the pie. i would do the same if I was in the tellers shoes, was just really surprised that she is allowed to search sealed boxes on company time. I asked nickels and quarters trying to find something to search but she had gone through it all.

I guess I'm being a bit naive thinking it doesn't happen.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good point Ryan. We are all just typing to get a small piece of the pie. i would do the same if I was in the tellers shoes, was just really surprised that she is allowed to search sealed boxes on company time. I asked nickels and quarters trying to find something to search but she had gone through it all.

I guess I'm being a bit naive thinking it doesn't happen.

Your still allowed to be a little annoyed with the situation. The teller gives you no choice but to make them a dump bank.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a teller that used to search the boxes I ordered! She would open the boxes up and look for silver halves on the ends of the rolls. For a while I had no enders until one day the box was opened as usual and I noticed 3 reverse Kennedy 40% enders and I noticed the box had 3 rolls missing. The teller told me the box broke open and the 3 rolls broke all over the floor. I said ok well give me the halves from the 3 rolls. She started to get nervous. Finally the head teller gave me 3 rolls in perfect shape with guess what! Silver enders that she noticed! a bender and 2 1967. I made a complaint , but didn't take it to far because it was a order bank. 3 weeks later I found out the teller was fired for many reasons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread