Just opened another checking account for 147 silver coins

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been this little bank 30-minute away from my home twice in 2014. I found
silver coins both times and once with solid rolls. So I have fairconfidence that
those tellers are not silver snatchers. I keep calling this bank every 3 months.
Last week they told me that they had $190 halves but only dealing with their own
customers. What is going on? I exchanged before and now? Is there a silver snatcher joined the bank?

Anyway, I spent 15 min and $10 to open another free checking account just for this batch
of halves. I turns out that they just started to enforce government "after 911" rules. No
currency exchange for people on the street.

The batch has 1 solid roll of 1964, 2 solid rolls of 40%ers with very old wrappers;
1 roll has 19, 1 roll has 18. Rolls marked with 1974p, 1971d, etc are what the marks says.
So it is a collection dump. God bless grandpa sincerely.

Overall 147 from this batch. The gamble is a good one. How many of you will do the same?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    676.8 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    742.7 KB · Views: 181
Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats! It all depends how much the minimum balance is to avoid fees at the bank. If it's $100 or less I may take the risk. But I know some banks require some crazy amount to open an account and avoid fees.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
That is awesome. Congrats! Did you call ahead, or did you find out when you went there?

I had the chance to buy a bag of halves at a credit union, but had to open an account. It was 2 hours from my house, and I got up there every 6 months at best. Didn't do it, and still regret it.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been this little bank 30-minute away from my home twice in 2014. I found
silver coins both times and once with solid rolls. So I have fairconfidence that
those tellers are not silver snatchers. I keep calling this bank every 3 months.
Last week they told me that they had $190 halves but only dealing with their own
customers. What is going on? I exchanged before and now? Is there a silver snatcher joined the bank?

Anyway, I spent 15 min and $10 to open another free checking account just for this batch
of halves. I turns out that they just started to enforce government "after 911" rules. No
currency exchange for people on the street.

The batch has 1 solid roll of 1964, 2 solid rolls of 40%ers with very old wrappers;
1 roll has 19, 1 roll has 18. Rolls marked with 1974p, 1971d, etc are what the marks says.
So it is a collection dump. God bless grandpa sincerely.

Overall 147 from this batch. The gamble is a good one. How many of you will do the same?

nice check the dimes and the quarters !!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome. Congrats! Did you call ahead, or did you find out when you went there?

I had the chance to buy a bag of halves at a credit union, but had to open an account. It was 2 hours from my house, and I got up there every 6 months at best. Didn't do it, and still regret it.

For me. In this area I always call ahead. So many occasional CRHers out there that you have to call.
Otherwise just a waste of time.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me. In this area I always call ahead. So many occasional CRHers out there that you have to call.
Otherwise just a waste of time.

Before careful when calling ahead. It's super easy for a teller just to say no they don't have any. Especially when they are busy and don't feel like even checking.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Congrats! It all depends how much the minimum balance is to avoid fees at the bank. If it's $100 or less I may take the risk. But I know some banks require some crazy amount to open an account and avoid fees.

Free checking here is 5 grand average daily balance, not something I care to open another account for. Opened a credit union account to order coins, opened with $25.00 and over the 1 year I had it they took $20 of it in fees to keep the account, closed it down and said thanks but no thanks.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Free checking here is 5 grand average daily balance, not something I care to open another account for. Opened a credit union account to order coins, opened with $25.00 and over the 1 year I had it they took $20 of it in fees to keep the account, closed it down and said thanks but no thanks.

How much silver did you find from them in that year? If the returns are good enough, sometimes you have to look at it as the cost of doing business.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeesh what bank has that horrible deal. I'm sure you can shop around to different banks and find a way better free checking. I myself opened up anow account at TD bank just for dumping. They require only $300 in the account count to avoid any fees.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a 0 minimum with Huntington checking and $5 minimum at my credit union. My credit union only counts up to $150 before fees, and its the only bank that has counters in my area.

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a 0 minimum with Huntington checking and $5 minimum at my credit union. My credit union only counts up to $150 before fees, and its the only bank that has counters in my area.

If I were you, I would do a lot of pennies and nickels.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread