Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time CRH. Decided to give it a shot after reading some of the success stories. Bought box number 1 from my primary bank

Produced (1) war nickel, a 20 pence piece and a Canadian nickel. The Pence coin isnt even round so I wonder how that made it through them coin rolling machines.

Went to my secondary bank, as they have a coin machine and cashed out. As I was receiving my money from the change, I asked the teller if they had a box of nickels I could buy. She said sure, and I did.

Found (2) more war nickels and a 1942 that I thought was also one, but after a Google search, it has no mint mark so its just a plain old nickel.

I save any nickels I fing pre-1960 so I added a bunch to my "stash".

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.

Just an FYI, never, I repeat, NEVER dump your coins at a bank you pick up coins at. There's a great chance of tellers catching on to you using the coin counter and then buying a box of coins to search and that will put an abrupt halt to them selling you boxes.

Happy Hunting

OP
OP
J

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man. I gotta find another bank to dump them then.
Thanks for the tip

Nice finds.

Just an FYI, never, I repeat, NEVER dump your coins at a bank you pick up coins at. There's a great chance of tellers catching on to you using the coin counter and then buying a box of coins to search and that will put an abrupt halt to them selling you boxes.

Happy Hunting

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds.

Happy Hunting

I think he is ok doing what he did. He said the bank had a coin counting machine. The rule is never taking back your coins to the bank you bought them from. Especially if your returning them in roll form back to the bank. The OP said he took the nickels to his second day bank. I think your ok doing what you did.

OP
OP
J

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he is ok doing what he did. He said the bank had a coin counting machine. The rule is never taking back your coins to the bank you bought them from. Especially if your returning them in roll form back to the bank. The OP said he took the nickels to his second day bank. I think your ok doing what you did.

Yeah but I got the second box from the coin machine bank. :(
Next time I'll cash in the coins there and go to the non machine bank for another box ;)
Hopeful they don't catch on. The second banks got a pretty teller though :)

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice man, those are the same kind of rolls I search. I have yet to go through a box that didn't produce at least one war nickel (: Happy hunting!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah but I got the second box from the coin machine bank. :(
Next time I'll cash in the coins there and go to the non machine bank for another box ;)
Hopeful they don't catch on. The second banks got a pretty teller though :)

I still think you are OK with what you did. You didn't inconvenience the teller in any way. That's the only reason you don't pick up where you dump. That rule is in place for when there isn't a coin machine.

TwoYewts

Oct 29, 2013
NorthEast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Fisher CZ-21, Makro Racer Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Joe...I tend to prefer nickel boxes as well. Always seem to find more variety in nickel boxes and at least one War nickel making the hunt fun. Lately been finding Euros in my nickel boxes (3 in the last 2 boxes) which is so strange because even though they are the right size the bronze/brown color makes them stand out like a sore thumb when I open a roll. Dimes have been skunking out for me lately so leaving them alone for a while.

Good luck on your next box!
TwoYewts

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread