227 bags of cents were made into boxes today.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From that my cull bin produced 1 merc, 4 rosies, one shield nickel with the Rays, some Middle East silver coin about the size of a nickel but thin and some ancient silver coin. Took all the dimes and tossed it into the dimes bin to be wrap. Everything else went into the buckets. Saw them take 8 boxes of halves today, wonder who is ordering lol. Another thing, I got over 72 bags from some bank out of San Jose California, let me tell you those coins are super clean as in, no foreign coins or coins of other denomination. Starting to think they run them through a sorter before shipping them to the east coast.

Upvote 0

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A shield nickel?? That's crazy! I would love to get my hands on one of those...I don't think I've ever even seen one up close. It must be tough to resist the temptation working a job like that. When I worked on a golf course last summer, I would always wander off into the woods and hunt for golf balls lol. Too bad you can't do the same thing...
Thanks for the info!

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A shield nickel?? That's crazy! I would love to get my hands on one of those...I don't think I've ever even seen one up close. It must be tough to resist the temptation working a job like that. When I worked on a golf course last summer, I would always wander off into the woods and hunt for golf balls lol. Too bad you can't do the same thing...
Thanks for the info!

It is the 2nd one i came across! lol

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
Liu21... Every man has his breaking point. What would it take for you to work up the courage to ask about swapping something? A 55' doubled die? A 16' D Merc? A 37' D 3-legged buffalo? Surely thete must be a coin that would make your jaw hit the floor and eat you up enough inside to ask if you could buy it. Just wondering, awesome you landed this job.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not toss the shield nic in with the jeffersons? Diameters are within 3% of each other (shield is slightly smaller OD). Is the shield nickel too thick to go through the sorter/roller??

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why not toss the shield nic in with the jeffersons? Diameters are within 3% of each other (shield is slightly smaller OD). Is the shield nickel too thick to go through the sorter/roller??

Lc, my line was the nickel line. My line (machines) wrap pennies and nickels. Switching between the two depending on demand. There isn't any nickel bin when I was cleaning up. I'll take a box or something and keep all finds aside today. They never said we can't keep coins aside. Lol, oh yeah, yesterday someone harvested their wheats, it was about 50$ worth. I dumped the bag out didn't notice the duller chocolate color of all the coins till I went to dump a bag in a different machine. There is a box or two with 35/45% wheats out there.

OP
OP
L

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Liu21... Every man has his breaking point. What would it take for you to work up the courage to ask about swapping something? A 55' doubled die? A 16' D Merc? A 37' D 3-legged buffalo? Surely thete must be a coin that would make your jaw hit the floor and eat you up enough inside to ask if you could buy it. Just wondering, awesome you landed this job.

Don't have time to look for the great 1955 DD, the 16D merc a long shot, peg leg buffalo, also long shot. I'm hoping for some gold! Lol I would set what I really want aside and built up a rapport with the guys before bringing up swapping coins. It's a longggggggg shot but no harm in asking.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you see an hints that any of your co-workers are interested in coins?

SilverLunker

Nov 4, 2013
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also would love to find out where the buckets of odd/foreign/mutilated coins go. I feel like we have a secret elf in Santa's workshop these reports are great!

dibdab

Jan 8, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yeh, i love these reports, please keep them coming. Insight I never thought I would hear about!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread