Sorry if this has been asked and or is a stupid question...

bryansb

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Hi Guys,

I don't understand how anyone can go wrong here. For example if I spend $5,000 on rolls of 1/2 dollars, and find nothing great, can't I just convert them back to paper dollars? In other words, how can anyone lose a cent? Thanks guys!

You cant lose a cent unless when you dump the count is off which can happen frequently with dimes. Also the only real lose you will take is your time and energy when you go on a 20 box skunk streak which also wili happen

OP
OP
bryansb

bryansb

Greenie
Mar 20, 2016
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotcha! Thank you very much for the informative and quick reply!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wear and tear on your car that otherwise might not happen as fast if you weren't driving around as much picking up and dumping coins. I know I do between 15-25 miles extra every day.

trhunter7777

Greenie
Mar 2, 2016
KC MO
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Fisher CZ20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is like getting a lottery ticket that doesn't lose value after you scratch it off.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine or rolls might be off in counting. Your time is not free. Most people are better off working a few extra hours on a side job than crhing.

What I "earn" by crhing I could make by working an additional 2 hours a week at my job.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Plus with that much cash or coin you can get robbed or your car broken into while in the bank.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mainly your just losing your time going through that much halves. Plus the time it takes to dump that much. That's alot of halves to get rid of. You have to have e a good dumping strategy to get rid of that. Is that 5k a week you want to do? Or 5k a month? Dumping 5k a month at one place can wear out your welcome pretty quick.

StevoCBR

Apr 19, 2010
Detector(s) used
a piece, fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Guys,

I don't understand how anyone can go wrong here. For example if I spend $5,000 on rolls of 1/2 dollars, and find nothing great, can't I just convert them back to paper dollars? In other words, how can anyone lose a cent? Thanks guys!

I quite CRHing years ago because the finds were drying up quick and lots of competition in my area. But one of the big reasons i quite is i would get shorted about $5-10 per thousand of halves, and on dimes to, not all the time but a lot more then what should be happening (another way tp skim) nothing crappier then paying $10 and gas and time to search a skunk. So personally i make way more money working and just go hunt my LCS:icon_thumleft:. Keep stacking folks it's almost here....

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BryansB
Everyone has pretty much nailed it
Time, gas, wear and tear on car those are the things it will "cost" you- and as others have said the finds are drying up- i remember when i joined Tnet 4-5yrs ago there were many great finds, now not so many, yes they are out there but they are fewer and farther between which means you have to hunt more and more just to find a handful of silver
With silver as cheap as it is its easier to just buy right now imo

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh ya trying to find $5k worth if halves aint the easiest either and then finding a place to dump them even tougher
It takes time to build relationships with the vault managers to get that amount and get them ordered

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
However, on the other side of the coin (so to speak) I have some health issues I am dealing with and so much stress at my job that the time I spend CRH'ing is like therapy for me. It is my hobby and I love doing it. My wife has her gardening and I have my CRH'ing. The skunks suck and sometimes it is hard to coordinate dumping. But, I love watching my stack grow even if very slowly at times. The finds are down but I am nowhere near giving it up. For me the pro's outweight the con's.
HH ALL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread