Ive Been Cut Off

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've Been Cut Off

I have an account at chase bank so whenever I'm done going through nickels I take them there. I usually would dump 100-200$ depending on the week. Well the 2 local chase banks I would take them to on a weekly basis said I could no longer bring in coins. I'm kinda bummed cause It will definitely screw up my weekly hunts. Has this happened to anyone else? I'm deciding on either take a break or making an account at another bank. The only thing is the drive would be farther. HH, Zach.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally would close the Chase account and open another one. Were you dumping rolls or using a coin machine?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have a TD bank by you open an account there. That is the only bank near me that has a coin counting machine. Makes dumping so much easier. Also speeds up my searching. I no longer have to worry about rerolling and can just dump my coins into a big container

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I had one Chase bank in my town say no more dumping my halves, but the other 2 in my town said no problem. It has to be the vault teller that controls the incoming and outgoing coins. So I just moved the dumps to the other two, rotating from one to the other every other week.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
I'd push the issue with corporate. Some will say leave it alone but I have found some managers decide to treat there branches as there personal piggy banks. Many times I have been cut off only to have it reinstated when corporate steps in. Again some will insist on walking out quietly but I'm a firm believer in there is nothing wrong with the branch taking your coin. If they have a young girl who happends to be an exotic dancer. Would they send her away with her hundreds of dollars in one's each week? Doubtful!

Last edited:

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'd push the issue with corporate. Some will say leave it alone but I have found some managers decide to treat there branches as there personal piggy banks. Many times I have been cut off only to have it reinstated when corporate steps in. Again some will insist on walking out quietly but I'm a firm believer in there is nothing wrong with the branch taking your coin. If they have a young girl who happends to be an exotic dancer. Would they send her away with her hundreds of dollars in one's each week? Doubtful!

Depositing hundreds of ones each week is a lot different than dumping thousands of nickels. I'm sure they go through quite a lot of ones each day, but they're probably getting overloaded on nickels.

Rather than threaten, I'd recommend working with the bank to see what they consider an acceptable amount to bring in each week, and staying within those limits. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My banks all refuse to order coins anymore. Only thing I can anymore is penny rolls the tellers have. They won't order anything.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Depositing hundreds of ones each week is a lot different than dumping thousands of nickels. I'm sure they go through quite a lot of ones each day, but they're probably getting overloaded on nickels.

Rather than threaten, I'd recommend working with the bank to see what they consider an acceptable amount to bring in each week, and staying within those limits. You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar...

Problem is he isn't getting any flies. He's already shut down from a local level. No threats at all. Just maybe go over there head to see if this is something that they even have the authority to do. Like I said it's happen to me many times. Branch on a local level decides they only want to take in $500 in quarters a week. Company x has been bringing in quarters for years at a clip of $300 a week. When said Hunter decides to bring in a modest $400 a week they no longer like the extra work and cut off said Hunter with no real corporate backing other then there own desires to not handle the extra $200 in quarters a week. You could reason with them and ask if there is an amount you can bring in to which they may say $200 but why let them at a local level make a call they don't have the authority to make.
One thing I've noticed in 9+ years of hunting, people don't like doing there jobs and they will do whatever and say whatever to not do them. At the end of the day it shouldn't matter what I'm ordering/dumping its of no concern of the branch unless it causes a problem with storage/cost. This for the most part it does not. Bringing in even a $500.00 in nickels every week really shouldn't make a huge difference in either.
I've had one branch look me dead in the eye and say we can't order boxes they charge us per box, and another branch in the same town said we can order you 100 boxes it didn't matter bc we have a contract with a company. Don't believe everything you hear on a branch level.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
My banks all refuse to order coins anymore. Only thing I can anymore is penny rolls the tellers have. They won't order anything.

Great example.
Only time they will give you coin is if they have an abundance of coin they don't want to unwrap abd ship out.
Sad they get away with that

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

See if they will sell you $50 in dimes or $20 nickels, or $100 quarters. That's 10 rolls of each denomination. They almost always keep there coins rubber banded into packs of 10 rolls. I buy all my coins in a dollar amount they keep in packs of 10. Makes it easier for them to give it to me. Usually I buy $100 in dimes, $20 in nickels and $5 or $10 in pennies. Maybe if you ask them to buy their CWR they will sell you those. How much coin were you ordering from them? If they cut you off it was probably to much.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always go to Fulton bank, if you have one near you. Every single one I've gone to has a coin machine.

The problem is that the last time I went to the Fulton near me, they only let me have one penny box. One! I don't get it!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because they only order so many each week. Some banks have a tight leash on how much inventory they keep due to the size of their vault. Ask them if they can order you extra boxes. Sometimes that works out better. Just don't search them and take them back to the same branch and pick them all up at once!

OP
OP
zach attack

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I'm going to open an account at a few other banks to balance out the dumping process. Maybe If I bring them a box every other week they won't have a problem with it. It's just kind of annoying that I have been dumping nickels at these banks for years but now it's a problem. HH, Zach.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Zach, it could be that someone else wrecked it for you.

200 a week or every other week shouldnt have got you cut off.

Maybe.

ILikeMoney

Dec 21, 2014
OHIO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask if they can give you bank bags. Throw the coins in the ballistics bag, take to the bank and then they ship the bags out and the coin will be deposited into your account at a later date.
They don't have to do anything other than ship the coin out and fill out some paperwork

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread