Another 25 this weak

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Weak" was on purpose. 25 boxes of half dollars produced 6 40% and 1 90% ken. I'm taking a week off of orders. Instead I'll catch up on dumping and local searching. Then I'll reduce my funds to $10,000, order 12 boxes of halves and 16 boxes of dimes for two weeks from now, and put the rest of my excess funds toward my mortgage. 25 boxes of halves is too much of a task to dump. I have way more banks in the area with self-serve coin counters that can suck up dimes with ease.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459616105.898816.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459616137.571704.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459616164.352961.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459616193.673586.jpg

Upvote 0

silveraddict

Jan 9, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
Hope things turn around for you. Makes my looking at dumping 3-4 boxes a week look like child's play. But, I have no banks with coin counters anywhere around. I still have to reroll.
Currently on a 9 box skunk streek.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Imagine if you worked at a coin facility, you're part of the section that loads the truck with coins. You have the option of cherry picking each box. Lol

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You either have wayyyy to much time on your hands, or you can dump really easy. Either way, I envy your hunting numbers.

I long for the days when I had way too much time on my hands, especially now with a legacy-building hobby like this one. But I am a man with a family, and I have to make the most of the little time I have.
Like I said, my dumping situation isn't made for this kind of half dollar volume. I only have two strong dump banks who handle the majority of my halves. When I scale down to 12 boxes, those two banks will only see me once per week with six boxes each. Then my 16 boxes of dimes will easily be dumped at three branches of a local credit union that have self-serve coin counters with two dime bags that fill at $1,000. If everything goes smoothly, I can see this all happening in one lunch break. And if that's the case, I might be able to pull off some local hunts (bank-wrapped rolls and full coin counter bags) with the time I freed up.
It's a fun challenge. I hope the result of this tweak is more awesome finds that I can share on here.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Ouch
I no the feeling. Good idea with the dimes. Old reliable, they are great to break that I just wasted my time feeling.
Just keep in mind I had about a month like this two months ago. Cooled it off for dimes and a few weeks later pulled 100+ from ten boxes.
Next good score is right around the corner

OP
OP
Styfflin

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ouch
I no the feeling. Good idea with the dimes. Old reliable, they are great to break that I just wasted my time feeling.
Just keep in mind I had about a month like this two months ago. Cooled it off for dimes and a few weeks later pulled 100+ from ten boxes.
Next good score is right around the corner

Lackluster finds don't make for fun Treasurenet posts, but it's nice to insert some reality every now and then. Time and patience do pay off in this hobby and everywhere else for that matter. I'm looking forward to getting 100% caught up on dumping next week, hopefully snagging a lucky bag, and then hitting the orders hard again in two weeks.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Impressive photo of the boxes and wrappers! I only search boxes when I travel. Last summer I looked through 26 boxes over the span of 5 days and found 12 40%-ers. Last month I looked through 12 boxes in 2 days and found zero silver coins. Sorry to read your recent luck was as poor as my recent luck! Picking up and dumping while traveling is a PITA, but at least I find something worth keeping when I search outside of my area, so it's worth it to me. I'm also not giving up. Best of luck to you.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful dumping those dimes into self-serve counters. That is the biggest risk for machine count errors (not in your favor).

If you are cracking and searching rolls, it is a pretty easy exercise to make mini dump containers of $100 or so (ie butter tub, cool whip container, etc). That way you can watch and verify the count during the dump. Dump $100, wait for it to pretty much catch up. If it looks like you are on pace, then dump another $100, so on. This way, you will know if the machine is accurate without risking more than a few bucks. Once you get confidence with a machine, you can go back to rapid dump.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pictures! That's a huge pile of wrappers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread