Copper vs zinc ratio - cents

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Besides doing dimes, I also am one of those that hoard copper cents as part of the process of filling the cent coin albums for the 12-grandkids. In the sorting process I keep all the 1982 separate to be later weighed on a GRAM scale for copper vs zinc. Last night I finally had time to weigh/sort (several hundred) of the 82s and the results come out to a 4:1 ratio, 4-coppers to 1-zinc. I was surprised it was that high, and thought it would have been just opposite with more zincs. Anyone having the same ratio, comments! HH DozerD

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
When I saved them to weigh, I found about the same ratio. Now when I sort, I bounce the 82's off my table. A clear ringing sound indicated copper; a flat, plastic sound indicated zinc. If I have my scale near by while sorting, I'll bounce the 82's then weigh them. I can tell correctly by sound 100% of the time - I have never been wrong - so it is a method I recommend.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bounce/ring test is the quickest way to find those copper 82s. especially if you have some nice granite counter tops, those make copper coins ring like heck.

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same ratio found here........I also weigh all my '82's......got tired of chasing them across the room.............:laughing7:

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry guys, I'm hard of hearing so I have to use gram scale all the time. Or as the wife says, I have selective hearing syndrome.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions