Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
always check dates!! I have gotten several 40% that show copper on the side (look clad, somewhat) and you will miss all the S mints.

kickstart

Mar 7, 2007
Ga.
MalteseFalcon said:
I ordered 2 boxes this week instead of the usual one.

Nothing.

Both were skunks. I did not even bother to go through looking at the dates.
I just rolled them back up, and am going to dump them today.

I know what you mean. I ordered 6 boxes this week. 2 were pretty good,
the other 4 were skunks!. I got so pissed that I just checked the sides(I use a loupe) and re-rolled them. My question is how can boxes from the same company produce 2 good ones then 4 skunks?

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Me three! My weekly 2 boxes turned up nothing. Two boxes of dimes though gave up 4 silver Rosies and two boxes of nickels gave up 2 silver nickels and 2 Buffaloes. I think I'll switch to other denominations temporarily. Last weeks boxes only gave up 2 silvers.

(it is just hit or miss - half of the silver dimes I have found probably came from 1/6 of the boxes)

Brian

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear that MF. All you can do is keep plugging.

I got two boxes a couple of weeks ago from a different bank to try....it yielded one 40%.

Hang in there......

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
snappy said:
always check dates!! I have gotten several 40% that show copper on the side (look clad, somewhat) and you will miss all the S mints.

Yeah well here is the deal. I always tell everyone else to always check dates.

But

A. There would not be more than a couple of 40 percenters in that bunch, and

B. My main focus is on silver. Clad halves with an S mint mark are not worth a heck of a lot anyway (for the most part). And I am not going to cry over missing one or 2 40 percenters. 90% halves would show up for sure when checking the edges, so I know for a fact I had none of those.

So I don't mind just just rolling them back up for once. And I rarely have time to go through more than 1 box a week anyway. It is just once in awhile I order 2. Though for some strange reason, most of the time when I order 2 I wind up with nothing. I sure wish the Fed would ship some halves from the New Orleans or Houston branch to where I am at lol.

I will see what happens next week. I did pretty good last week.

Win some, don't win some ( I don't say "Lose some" because we don't really lose money with this game haha.)

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kickstart said:
the other 4 were skunks!. I got so pissed that I just checked the sides(I use a loupe) and re-rolled them. My question is how can boxes from the same company produce 2 good ones then 4 skunks?

Don't say that KS. It might mean you have run the Atlanta Reserve out of silver before I've even had a chance to really get started. ;)

I'm sure both of you are just on the "downhill" side of a big "uplift". Keep at it.

HH.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually even the 90% is not a given. My last box yielded one 90%, and I did not pick it out by the edge. As with most everyone, I look at the edges first. In this particular roll, I did not see anything, so I started looking at the dates. It was about the fifth coin I looked at. I looked at the edge again and noticed that the edge and one complete side were pretty dark (toning?). It is not a big deal for me to look at the dates of a complete box, as I usually do it while watching the tube, and will go thru a box generally in an hour.

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been surprised by a few stained silvers as well once I went to date checking.

I found two 40%'s in a load of $860 than I'm sure was searched. The staining looked exactly like a clad ring.

HH.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sheldius said:
I've been surprised by a few stained silvers as well once I went to date checking.
When I edge check I pull & check EVERYTHING that is not bright copper. If the rim is even the slightest bit dark I check. Then I will quickly look at every coin, not the date, just the reflection it makes from a bright light or the window. Does not matter which side is "up" I am just looking for proofs and any clad commemoratives.

kickstart

Mar 7, 2007
Ga.
Sheldius said:
kickstart said:

Don't say that KS. It might mean you have run the Atlanta Reserve out of silver before I've even had a chance to really get started. ;)

I'm sure both of you are just on the "downhill" side of a big "uplift". Keep at it.

HH.

3 weeks ago I was bank hunting and 2 banks had just received a box
of halves from the Fed. They were new '95s. Ever since I have run into
hundreds of '95s in the boxes that I order. In one box I found 40 keepers
including WLs and BFs. The next box from the same bank.....skunk! That
happened again the day after. Then yesterday my 2 boxes from the same
source here were skunks.
As much as I enjoy CRH. There is nothing more tedious and irritating than
going thru a box you know is a skunk.

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also check the edges first and pull the obvious silver.....then I pick the stack up with one hand and release them one at a time into my other hand still in a stack listening for that distinctive silver clinking sound. It takes just a few seconds to do this.

waseeker

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kickstart said:
Sheldius said:
kickstart said:

HH.

3 weeks ago I was bank hunting and 2 banks had just received a box
of halves from the Fed. They were new '95s. Ever since I have run into
hundreds of '95s in the boxes that I order. In one box I found 40 keepers
including WLs and BFs. The next box from the same bank.....skunk! That
happened again the day after. Then yesterday my 2 boxes from the same
source here were skunks.
As much as I enjoy CRH. There is nothing more tedious and irritating than
going thru a box you know is a skunk.

you might want to check those 95's a bit closer. I got some 95's from the atlanta fed a few years back when they still had a public cashier. almost all of them had a die crack from the chin some going all the way to the rim. I've never seen them anywhere else.

OP
OP
MalteseFalcon

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
On a positive note, I stopped into my favorite branch the following day to tell them to order me a single box next week. The head teller slapped a half on the counter and said is this what you want?

I looked at it and it was a 1964 Kennedy. He also had a roll someone had turned in, and I bought that as well. No keepers in it.

So the boxes may have been a skunk, but the week wasn't.

And also, all the edges were serious copper. I checked them twice, once when I unwrapped them, once when I re-wrapped them.

Trust me, if I had seen anything that looked dark or out of the ordinary I would have checked it.
And I did, a few times. There was also a preponderance of slot machine halves in both boxes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread